Update on SAR Screening at airport (I arrived)

vic2244

"Am I to assume the police along Sukmivit or Beach Road in Pattaya are actually asking Farangs for Passports?"

I always have a photocopy, if I don't need it to do some stuff.

I can't see how that would be a problem, the worst which can happen is that they insist following you to your hotel to verify it. I have had a couple of situations when travelling to other countries where police have accepted the photocopy as ID.

Cheers!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be and is a BIG problem allowing police in any country to check ID's at random, without any "probable cause". I think they call that "harrassment" and when you get in to third world settings, it becomes worse, often they consider it an opportunity to extort money.

The concept of them following you back to your hotel?

I can handle SARS and HIV scares, policemen on the loose is another matter. That why I asked. I feel like we should quash this rumor, or get the facts straight.

cheers

Nok

Nok, you always have the off chance of cops wanting to check your ID when travelling around! Thats nothing new and simply can't be overlooked. They have full rights to ask for that.

I don't feel o.k. without a photocopy of my passport on myself. And as I said, it has been required 2 times. Not in Thailand though.

Cheers!

Consider yourself warned sir.

As a reminder, Prostitution is illegal in Thailand.

The expression "opens the door" also applies, if they are given this access to us for basically no reason, then all hell can and will break loose. Don't forget, alot of people get drunk and slobber all over, cough from chain smokeing, look like general SHIT so all some cop would have to do is say he thought looked like a SARS victim on the loose.

It cannot be allowed to go on, nor can we as visitors subject ourselves to this. I for one would in fact not visit a country where police are given this power.

Your correct, they have it now, but suffice to say, they are either afraid to use it or know better.

Suffice to say also, temptation is not measured by your and my standard in another country.

Lastly, I have found the Thai police (tourist and traffic) to be very nice guys with smiles.

cheers

Nok the Kook wanting to quash this before it gets going. As of this moment, I know of NO NONE NADA reports of police asking suspect looking farangs for ID/Passports. NONE.

"I for one would in fact not visit a country where police are given this power."

Leaves you without too many options. Funny thing about visiting other countries - some of them have different legal, social, financial etc etc systems than our own. Hell, in some places, if you are 50, fat, and damn ugly, you can't even pick up a 22 year old godess, and spend the night with her for $25. Get real - every country (perhaps with the exception of Iraq) has a sovereign right to impose its own standards. If we don't like it, we withdraw our capital, and don't go there. I'm not sure that Thailand will miss your presence.

Hi,

"Nok, you always have the off chance of cops wanting to check your ID when travelling around! Thats nothing new and simply can't be overlooked. They have full rights to ask for that."

Full rights to ask? Why?

I would consider it a severe invasion of privacy and civil rights if a cop out of the blue asks me for ID. As long as I have not done anything wrong, it is none of his goddamn business who I am.

Sanuk!

"Full rights to ask? Why?"

To see if you are staying in the country illegally is one reason.

Other situations where they would certainly do it is if you are involved in an accident, or on the scene of a crime.

A reason I might tolerate this stuff more than you do is that I don't live abroad. I might view it differently as a resident.

Cheers!

Just exactly how are you isolated when held in quarantine? That's the question I'd be asking folks. I'm pretty sure you'll be in close quarters with other suspect SARS carriers and so therefore if you don't have SARS when you into "isolation" you're likely to have it when you come out. Assuming you come out at all.

I object to the idea that if any one person on my flight is suspected of carrying SARS that I will then be subjected to quarantine with that person and all others from the same flight. Just exactly how are they going to deport a SARs carrier? What airline and staff are knowingly going to board somebody they suspect of having the SARs virus?

>I don't feel o.k. without a photocopy of my passport on myself. And as I said, it has been required 2 times.

If they start checking passports because of SARS, a photocopy won't help you. They would be after your date of entry to LOS.

The measure (as Peter1964 posted) was introduced on April the 3rd. That's when I arrived. After the "health check", I was given a green card that reads:

HEALTH BEWARE CARD

FOR PASSENGERS ARRIVING IN THAILAND

FROM INFECTED AREAS OF SEVERE ACUTE RESPIRATORY SYNDROME

Welcome to Thailand. Please keep this card for the next 14 days. If you develop fever, cough, sore throat, muscle pain, difficult breathing or dyspnea during this period, please present this card and tell your doctor of your recent travel outside Thailand. You may have been exposed to an infection before arriving Thailand. Please ask your doctor to inform Public Health Authority at Telephone 0 2590 3194...(and few more numbers).

That's all I have, nobody told me to stay indoors for 14 days.

Archived