Update on SAR Screening at airport (I arrived)

vic2244

Consider yourself warned sir.

As a reminder, Prostitution is illegal in Thailand.

The expression "opens the door" also applies, if they are given this access to us for basically no reason, then all hell can and will break loose. Don't forget, alot of people get drunk and slobber all over, cough from chain smokeing, look like general SHIT so all some cop would have to do is say he thought looked like a SARS victim on the loose.

It cannot be allowed to go on, nor can we as visitors subject ourselves to this. I for one would in fact not visit a country where police are given this power.

Your correct, they have it now, but suffice to say, they are either afraid to use it or know better.

The prostitution bit doesn't worry me too much, as I don't pick up prostitutes in Thailand. But is it illegal for punters as well as the hookers? I doubt it.

You raise a very good point on the SARS suspect issue, one which has been mentioned by others. What happens to SARS suspects? Are they put in quarenteen with other who might have it? That is most likely to happen at the airport though.

This is of much greater concern to me than cops asking for ID.

Cheers!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What criteria are they using to determine that you came from a SARs country?

If I'm in Taiwan and I travel to Amsterdam and then back to Bangkok. What do they say? I'm willing to bet that they won't

even check that I originated my journey from Taiwan.

What happens to people who are detected of having SARS even when they are in quarantine? They are not going to get any medical treatment and simply will die because of that. That is unacceptable. Thailand is use to have people die when incarcerated all the time. If you are quarantined be sure that your embassy knows about it. There are too many unanswered questions as far as quarantining is concerned. What happens to ones luggage when they are quarantined? Although that's going to be one of this more trivial aspects to deal with. But realistically you cannot expect to put on any flight back to your origin if you are suspect of carrying SARS and since no hospital will allow you to receive treatment just exactly what is going happen to you? You'll be left in a room to infect other people and people will just stop dropping off and there we're talking human rights violations folks.

"SARS airlines is now ready for boarding. All SARS suspects please board immediately." Who is going to fly on that plane?

Says think_too_mut:

If they start checking passports because of SARS, a photocopy won't help you. They would be after your date of entry to LOS.

That is a concern all the time. I carry a copy of the visa as well as the photo/data page from my passport. I have it coppied day 1 at the hotel.

Hi,

"To see if you are staying in the country illegally is one reason."

Sorry, but I disagree that this is a valid reason under most circumstances. Imagine I am walking on Sukhumvit minding my own business and a cop comes up to me ordering me to show him my passport. I would consider that a serious violation of my privacy and may very well refuse to show it to him.

Unless he has reason to believe that I am overstaying (something he cannot tell just by looking at me) how can he justify wanting to see my passport?

"Other situations where they would certainly do it is if you are involved in an accident, or on the scene of a crime."

Completely different situation, and I would not have any problem with them asking for ID here.

Sanuk!

Arrived BKK Saturday morning via AMS.

EVA on route to Taipei.

Filled in health questionaire on plane.

Still have it in my passport.

No health check in Don Muang.

Immigration and Customs as usual.

More Thai bullshit....whipping up the natives.

steffi,

the only way to determine your itinerary for a policeman who wants to see your passport is the immigration visa slip stapled into your passport which says :" Origin " and " Flight number ". I did never write anything there and have never been asked for.

A multiple of people die every year from the Asian flu which is also virus-based and nobody cares any more. Last season in germany alone it hit an estimated 14000 (!) people without creating a national panic because these type viruses preferably kill elderly weak individials and not us strong and healthy fuggers. According to the health service of our Foreign Ministry it seems to need close contact to an infected person to become infected yourself. So please refrain from tongue-kissing GuangDong immigration officers or taxi drivers.

I support the activities of the Thai government. what they are trying do is virtually useful and should ensure a clean environment as per may 23rd. Important because is my next arrival and I won't cancel anything.

Bbill. CNN. Bagdad Airport.

Says sinsin2:

Arrived BKK Saturday morning via AMS.

EVA on route to Taipei.

Filled in health questionaire on plane.

Still have it in my passport.

No health check in Don Muang.

Immigration and Customs as usual.

More Thai bullshit....whipping up the natives.

No Doctors etc at airport??

Checking arrivals :dunno:

Says khunsanuk:

Hi,

"Nok, you always have the off chance of cops wanting to check your ID when travelling around! Thats nothing new and simply can't be overlooked. They have full rights to ask for that."

Full rights to ask? Why?

I would consider it a severe invasion of privacy and civil rights if a cop out of the blue asks me for ID. As long as I have not done anything wrong, it is none of his goddamn business who I am.

Sanuk!

Freedom is not a right, but a privilege. And we have the right to take away this privilege at anytime....Thai democracy.

I can't remember where I read this, it might have been here on this board or elsewhere. But it seems to sum up Thailand perfecty..at least for me it did. I don't agree with it but I still live by it when I visit.

S

Archived