Doxycycline as a preventative measure

Catalyst

>>>Ok, now we know that you know that there are refugee camps and all these things you like to talk about, but please, unless you're a medical doctor , stop providing any kind of medical information. <<<

OK, smartarse, then just tell me where else are the main danger zones for malaria here in thailand other than in and around refugeecamps along the burmese border?

>>>one single mosquito bite could transmit the disiase<<<

oh yeah? never knew that...

only thing is that if you do not go to the small localities (mostly refugeecamps...) where there is malaria you won't find that many mosqutos who carry malaria.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you take my answer on that way?

>> smartarse

Please refrain yourself qualifying others. The thing starts with smartarse and ends up on only God knows what.

Yes, one single mosquito bite that carries the disiase can transmit it.

From the CDC website that also matches with the Pasteur institute:

-----------------

Thailand: Limited risk in the areas that border Cambodia, Laos, and Burma. No risk in cities and major tourist resorts (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Phuket Island, and Ko Samui.) Special note: Travelers to the border areas should take either doxycycline or Malarone™ as their antimalarial drug because of mefloquine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum in the area.

Travelers to the following areas should take either doxycycline or Malarone™:

* Cambodia: western provinces bordering Thailand.

* Thailand: areas bordering Cambodia and Burma (Myanmar).

* Burma (Myanmar): eastern states of Shan, Kayah, Kayin.

* Mefloquine would not be recommended in these areas because of mefloquine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum.

Doxycycline

Directions for use

* The adult dosage is 100 mg once a day.

* Take the first dose of doxycycline 1 or 2 days before arrival in the malaria-risk area.

* Take doxycycline once a day, at the same time each day, while in the malaria-risk area.

* Take doxycycline once a day for 4 weeks after leaving the malaria-risk area.

Doxycycline side effects and warnings

* Taking doxycycline may cause travelers to sunburn faster than normal. To prevent sunburn, avoid midday sun, wear a high-SPF sunblock, wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and a hat.

* Take doxycycline on a full stomach to lessen nausea; do not lie down for 1 hour after taking the drug to prevent reflux of the drug (backing up into the esophagus).

* Women who use doxycycline may develop a vaginal yeast infection. Take an over-the-counter yeast medication with you on your trip for use if vaginal itching or discharge develops.

Do NOT take doxycycline if you are pregnant.

Do NOT give doxycycline to children under the age of 8; teeth may become permanently stained.

--------------------

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/seasia.htm

I am not cut and paste friedly, but in this particular case.

Bottom line, people who travel should consult with the real experts in order to prevent or avoid problems. And malaria, like other disiases around is not a joke to especulate around it.

Note: special care to be taken night time that is when those 'female' mosquito actuate to transmit the malaria (not a joke are female mosquitos!), couple of things that could help:

- sleep covered by a net.

- a NEON ( :: ) will attrack mosquitos too and keep them far away of you.

you basically proved my point here. what did you paste and copy? borderareas to burma and cambodia? what are those areas speciafically at the burmese area? if you would go a bit more into detail in your google 'research' you would find out that those areas are exactly locations of refugee camps (the kind of things i like to talk about...).

or, in the case of cambodia border areas, locations of former refugee camps, areas of political and social instability etc. (again some of the topics i like to talk about...).

and, i can't give you microbiological details on malaria, but working often in those kind of areas i have had more than a few in dephth conversations with malaria experts (not just medical doctors) on exactly that topic here. so i think i am well qualified to inform people here on a very basic question on malaria.

>>>- a NEON ( ) will attrack mosquitos too and keep them far away of you<<<

now, what a great advice!

incidently, most of the high risk areas like border jungles and refugeecamps do not have electricity...

and if you don't like being called a smartarse, then don't give me a smartarse comment. ...what was it again...?

>>>Ok, now we know that you know that there are refugee camps and all these things you like to talk about, but please,<<<

>>>Special note: Travelers to the border areas should take either doxycycline or Malarone™ as their antimalarial drug because of mefloquine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum in the area.<<<

by the way, that is crap advice from that CDC website.

kanchanaburi for example is near the burmese border, but if you stay in town you don't ever need to worry about malaria, so is ranong.

then why does it not talk about the other strains of malaria in the region, just the one.

it does not say anything about the long term risks on taking the pills (even if not pregnant...).

get my drift?

I see, you never get the point Dr. know it all.

Note: there are portable NEON lamps that you can find even at Bangkok. ;)

Feel free to qualify me as smartarse again not a problem coming from who is coming.

>> by the way, that is crap advice from that CDC website.

I could write something like: "by the way, that is crap advice from Flyonzewall".

>> kanchanaburi for example is near the burmese border, but if you stay in town you don't ever need to worry about malaria, so is ranong.

We see that you know quite a bit of Thai geography too!!! so what?... some border areas does mean SOME.

>> it does not say anything about the long term risks on taking the pills (even if not pregnant...).

All medications have some kind of long term consequences that the reason why real experts should be consulted prior to start a medication, REAL experts I mean, not self proclamed authorized experts because they have been visiting some refugee camps or had few conversations to the real experts.

>>> get my drift?

Do I have to? ::

I was not trying to give any advide to anybody, just question your prior statements with some information that could be easilly contrasted with a visit to the doctors here in Thailand or anywhere else.

TO ALL THE OTHERS: as per malaria or other disiase prevention CONSULT A REAL DOCTOR.

now, that's it?

does it feel good getting your point in with your portable neon lamp?

you know, if dr. know-it-all's like me would not post their experiences of 15 years living all over asia newbies like you would still be stuck in indepth discussions on BBBJ's and that board would be a very boring and uninformative.

but then, maybe that is all you want to know anyhow...

>>>TO ALL THE OTHERS: as per malaria or other disiase prevention CONSULT A REAL DOCTOR. <<<

yeah, but make sure that you contact a doctor working in malaria research. your housedoctor will do nothing else than checking in the net which area is called a 'malaria danger zone' and prescribing you something without knowing the particularities of that area.

555555555 now we are on the stage of long term resident / newbie thing. You forgot to mention here the number of posts thing too. :p

Have you ever seen me being posting about BBBJ's or any similar thing in this message board? ::

Archived