Doxycycline as a preventative measure

Catalyst

Calm down lads...

Medical advice re: Doxy to prevent malaria (from my doc). Not worth the hassle. (My doc's opinion, even he says others may disagree. The argument's been going for ages)

Doxy for a preventative against stds? IMHO (No, I am no doctor, but I'm a really good butcher!!). Who are you kidding? It aint safe, but yes, it'll stop SOME stds. Not all.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sprinkle them on my weeties for breakfast, as in MY OPINION the sugar industry is highly exploitive of the cheap labour force in developing nations.

>>>If we ignore all the Indiana Jones literature of your message <<<

why do 'we' have to include in every post some childish samrtarsed comment?

you start pissing me off.

I think there is merit to both sides. If I was going into small villages, especially during the rainy season or spending time in the jungle, then I would take malaria prophylaxis, in addition to using a sleeping net and repellent. However I wouldn't take it just to visit Kanchanaburi. I think it is a matter of degree of risk you are comfortable with versus the side effects of the medications.

Taking antibiotics as an STD preventative is not recommended. There are enough resistant bacteria without adding to the numbers and as you mentioned, 100 mg/day doesn't treat any STD-more likely to just piss them off.

About two years ago the CDC cited a rather small section of Northern Thailand along the border with PDR Laos where a strain of maleria existed that was resistent to the usual anti-malarials; and, doxycycline was actually the drug of choice to prevent malaria if traveling in that area. I do not know if this information is now current.

While it may be argued that this antibiotic can be taken prophylactically to prevent some strains of bacterial-realated

STD's, do not forget that it will do nothing to protect against

the sexually related viruses out there, like HIV, etc.

>>>and, doxycycline was actually the drug of choice to prevent malaria if traveling in that area. I do not know if this information is now current.<<<

that is one of the problems with malaria prophilaxis as well - constantly new strains resistant to whatever medicament are coming up, very difficult to get real up to date information. what you have mentioned here, in a small area at the northern border, 100 km down some completely different strain resistant to maybe exactly that medicament might exist, or in the same area there are several strains resistent to different medicaments, to be really protected you would have to take several medicaments according to each strain. and then there is still a chance that you will catch it, just milder, which can under circumstances be even more dangerous as you might not notice that you have malaria. it can be so mild that you might just think it is general traveller's exhaustion. the longer you carry the malaria around with you untreated, the more difficult it is to heal, or in case of cerebral malaria can even be fatal.

Archived