Doxycycline as a preventative measure

Catalyst

As usual you're getting what you are interested to get. Whenever somebody makes a trip it is recommendable to get medical advice from the right organizations. Of course getting advice from the in site doctors would be great but that's not always possible.

Pasteur Institute in Paris gives this kind of advice and there is a similar organization that can be consulted at most of the countries I've been living.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>now we are on the stage of long term resident / newbie thing. You forgot to mention here the number of posts thing too. <<<

no, we are on the stage of i-have-lived-here-all-of-my-adult-life compared to i-get-my-knowledge-from-surfing-the-net.

No we are not on that stage. You might have your experiences as well I have mines.

Doxycycline or any other treatment for malaria prevention should only be taken after medical advice, not after Flyonzewall advice. Do you get it?, that's all, simple and easy.

BTW: time to go sleep., has been a really long day for me. :sleeping:

>>>You might have your experiences as well I have mines<<<

yours might be wherever they are, but not with malaria appearantly.

>>>Doxycycline or any other treatment for malaria prevention should only be taken after medical advice, not after Flyonzewall advice. Do you get it?, that's all, simple and easy.<<<

well, what did i post initially 'DON'T TAKE IT'.

got it?

i never advised to take that medicament.

jeesas...!

>>well, what did i post initially 'DON'T TAKE IT'.

Even if after getting the right advice from a real doctor that is well informed about the Thailand's malaria areas and strains?. Uh!!!!!!

You're giving advice without having the expertise on that area. That has been all my point during this post exchange that has increeased to my account's number of posts.

Really going to sleep. :sleeping:

>>>You're giving advice without having the expertise on that area. That has been all my point during this post exchange that has increeased to my account's number of posts.<<<

OK, i'll try it again.

i have worked more than a few times in highest risk areas for malaria, and still do often. i have taken care of friends who have had malaria, i have washed them, brought them to doctors and hospitals, i have spent weeks in areas across the burmese border where almost everybody around me had malaria (still don't know why i did not catch it).

i have not taken prophilaxis on advice from the researchers of MSF in shoklo camp ten years ago, the at that time foremost research and experimentation station for malaria in this part of the world. their advise was very simple: they told me that i still can catch it, and testing is a lot more difficult when taking prophilaxis. as well that i would have to take so many medicaments which would be a lot more dangerous than catching malaria. and even with taking prophilaxis there is still a risk of catching malaria.

malaria there is a very normal desease. nothing to loose to much sweat over, you know that when you were in those areas, and you get the chills you better get tested, and if it turns out negative, you get tested again and again. then you take the proper medicine a proper doctor prescribes.

it becomes a fatal desease when you are a refugee who has no access to medicaments, or when you are too stupid to get medical help when you have it.

the decision not to take prophilaxis is a decision based on risk/benefit. simple, you don't need a doctor to asses those risks or benefits.

risk of not taking prophilaxis:

you might get malaria. but then, by taking prohilaxis you might still get it, but so light that you don't notice it, which can be fatal in case of cerebral malaria.

you might get a strain which is resistent to the particular medicament you are taking. as there are many different strains around, resistent each to a different medicament and in the same locations you might have to take more pills than is healthy just to prevent a desease which can be cured without too many difficulties today. and you still might catch it.

benefit of not taking prophilaxis:

you might get it, if you get you will get it in full swing and will know that you have it.

if you have it, it is a lot easier to find out which strain you have.

you don't take potentially very dangerous medicaments without an immidiate reason. i have seen people loosing all their hair from taking prophilaxis, getting blotches all over their bodies which have taken month to disappear.

as there are very few localities in those so called 'high risk' zones which actually have malaria carrying mosquitos. before taking something potentially harmful one should inform himself if he/she actually does go there. those locations are known and mapped out, often they are just a few refugee camps and their immidiate vicinity.

then, are you planning to spend the evening or the early morning there? if not, you should not worry too much.

simple risk assessment, nothing else.

on the treatment of malaria though i cannot give any advice, that is the territorry of a medical professional (if one is available). that is the difference.

OK, forget about the malaria and the side effects. I have a good doctor who gives me advice on this.

I'm more interested in anyone's informed advice about taking doxycycline as a preventative measure for stds? Would it be ineffective, or would I risk developing a doxycycline-resistant std? This subject is a little awkward to bring up with my doctor.

So much testosterone. I think Fly gave good advice. There are so many pro/cons taking anti-malaria medication that the verdict is out. Web searches will give you "authoritative" stances on both sides. Given that type of information I'd rather pass on the medication.

<<burp>>

>>> OK, i'll try it again.

If we ignore all the Indiana Jones literature of your message we can see that YOU FOLLOWED MEDICAL ADVICE.

One of the key things to inform to the doctor is how long you expect to stay at malaria risky areas, since any malaria profilaxis can provoque side effects, it's not normally prescribed to people that is going to stay on permanent or semi-permanent basis at those areas.

At the end, FOLLOW MEDICAL ADVICE.

Archived