How does Thai Health Service work?

Well thanks for that info. Yesterday she informed the total that she said was paid upon checkout-for 4 days. It was a few hundred baht under 20,000. I just hope they diagnosed her correctly and the IV and medicine were correct. As I said earlier, a doctor I spoke with told me that she was being treated for a kidney infection due to not drinking enough water(never heard of such a thing). A nurse earlier told me she had a kind of urinery tract infection. Same thing? I don't know.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>As I said earlier, a doctor I spoke with told me that she was being treated for a kidney infection due to not drinking enough water(never heard of such a thing). A nurse earlier told me she had a kind of urinery tract infection. Same thing? I don't know.<<<

very possible.

had a similar thing once - did not drink enough water for a few days and developed christals in my kidneys. was one of the most intense experiences of pain i ever had.

women can get urinary tract infections a lot easier then men with very harmful consequences if not treated well.

the cost depends a lot on the antibiotics she got by IV, some can be very expensive. still, without insurance i would not have went into a private room, could have saved a lot of money.

had a similar thing once - did not drink enough water for a few days and developed christals in my kidneys. was one of the most intense experiences of pain i ever had.

women can get urinary tract infections a lot easier then men with very harmful consequences if not treated well.

the cost depends a lot on the antibiotics she got by IV, some can be very expensive. still, without insurance i would not have went into a private room, could have saved a lot of money.

Yes she was in very great pain and I was in China so she was all on her own. After visiting bank to pick up her weekly allowance, she was referred to this hospital and her being the kind of person that doesn't consider costs, she went for the private room instead of the ward. She pointed out to me that she saved me a lot of baht because she didn't go for the deluxe room--that would have cost over 2500 instead of the 1900. Besides she had to suffer without a TV in her room. Who can say? I guess I should consider myself lucky that this 3 days of pain in the apartment and 4 days of hospital stay happened while I was away from BKK.

• 7 months later...

The last 3 months gf's 14 y.o. younger sister was quite sick:

She had hemiparesis (ie she could not move her right arm and leg) and difficulties moving her facial muscles, not long after having fallen from a motorcycle.

This lead to 4 hospital stays, first in Buriram Hospital , later she was referred to hospitals in Korat and then Bangkok (the hospital of Mahidol University, Thailand's leading medical school).

She got all kinds of lab tests that you can imagine, CT scan and MRI scan, X-rays, and she was on a ventilator for some time.

She is at home now without any neurological symptoms.

I don't think she would have received more competent treatment in the West.

Altogether this cost 30 Baht. Even the medicine was free.

Archived