How does Thai Health Service work?

my experience with bkk hospitals are very limited, but still I'd like to share my experiences & perhaps get a few uncertainties cleared up ;)

now firstly I went with a BG back in '99 to visit a relative who had had an accident of some kind. I think that hospital was somewhere off ramaIV on the rd on the west side of lumphini park leading to phloenchit :dunno: most likely a government one?

anyways treatment seemed a bit limited & cramped with relatives/friends doing a lot of the care to the patients, which the nurses would probably have done in a UK NHS ward...

secondly I was involved myself in an accident as a moto taxi passenger as a car pulled into us :cussing: anyways the friendly woman driving the car 'paid off' the moto(I didn't pay him any fare ;)) & rushed me off to the nearest hospital a bit west of the Dusit Zoo I believe it was :dunno: here I was getting my foot sewed severel stitches etc & taken care of very efficiently IMO even I still believe it was 'just' a government hospital? regarding pay again the thai woman took care of it & I believe she paid somewhere in between 20bt & severel hundreds? Pay may just have been for some drugs I beleive I was given? again a bit blurry as was back in '00 or '01?

hope this was informative ;)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Chula you must have registered once, this will cost 20 B.These 20 B are not much even for poor Thais.

The care you will get for these 20 B is as good as in many western countries, especially the UK.

The next time you go it is completely free, as you have registered already. You just pay for the drugs "

Tell that to a friend of mine who ran up a 300,000B bill at Chula Hospital. Cancer. She did not have insurance and we had to have a fund raiser for her to pay for the medical care. Many people sold shirts and got 50,000B to go towards the costs. Want to buy a shirt. I have 2 of them and they dont fit me. Oh well

Says ib13:

I think that hospital was somewhere off ramaIV on the rd on the west side of lumphini park leading to phloenchit
:dunno:
most likely a government one?

that's chulalongkorn hospital; very limited service. students doing the diagnosis in the ambulant clinic!!!

Says ib13:

rushed me off to the nearest hospital a bit west of the Dusit Zoo I believe it

there is no hospital a bit west of dusit zoo. east of dusit zoo and chitralada palace would be ramatipodee hospital. also a very large one and always crowded. people have to wait for hours. patients with 10-20 others in one room without aircondition....

>>students doing the diagnosis in the ambulant clinic!!!

students work there (it is Chula's teaching hospital after all), but the way you say it is not correct

And: You could say the same about every teaching hospital in the world, which include most of the best hospitals.

>>people have to wait for hours.

This is absolutely normal in almost every country, certainly in Western countries.

>>>This is absolutely normal in almost every country, certainly in Western countries.<<<

definately! a few times i spent hours in the waiting room back in germany with some broken bone. once was really bad, my arm had a bent where there shouldn't have been one and they left me in some aisle for 3 hours without anything against the pain. they said then when that if i would have had an open fracture they would have put me in narcoses straight away, but, well, bad luck, the bone just did not make it through the skin. you could see it wobbling just below the skin, but well...

considering the economy of thailand, the health systhem is good. but of course it is nothing compared to singapore. here in bangkok anyone who has an accident can be sure to be picked up by an ambulance or rescuevolonteers very quick.

of course there are problems. one of the biggest is that there is no law yet that when someone dies after a doctor refused him without giving him emergency stabilisation that the doctor can be prosecuted.

big problem for the rescuevolonteers as well. in some areas they have to know which doctor has when shift so that they can avoid the doctors who have a reputation of refusing patients without money.

Tell that to a friend of mine who ran up a 300,000B bill at Chula Hospital. Cancer. She did not have insurance and we had to have a fund raiser for her to pay for the medical care. Many people sold shirts and got 50,000B to go towards the costs. Want to buy a shirt. I have 2 of them and they dont fit me. Oh well

My friend called me from Sukhumvit Hospital to ask me to help her pay for her, so far, 3 day stay there for treatment of a kidney infection. The doctor and nurse told me that it was what she was being treated for. IV antibiotics and a private room so far cost her 10,000 baht. Anyone have any idea if that is what this kind of treatment costs? No operation or procedures of any kind just a bed, meals and administration of antibiotics via IV.

Anyone know if it is a private hospital and therefore profit oriented?

i think it is a private hospital.

and even in a government hospital you will have to pay for a private room, free are only the common wards, 20 - 30 beds with fan.

Now after speaking with on the phone is the news that the hospital room alone is 1880 baht per day so she says that excluding the doctor and medication her bill to date is over 9,000- 4 nights. Also since she has to go pick up the money from the bank when she checks out she has to leave her mother in the hospital hostage until she brings the full amount of her bill.

Sukumvit hospital is the worst in my opinion. about 2 years ago my wife's student was there with a temp on 101. Since there is no Doctor in the ER after midnight, the nurse hooked her up to an IV drip.. But did not set the rate properly and it poured into the child and cause water in her lungs. well the child was having a hard time breathing so they sat her up and put her on O2 but forgot to plug the mask in the wall.. hence we were at her funeral the next week!! I have heard so many horror stories from that place.. The worst part was the father had a BMW and if he drove just a bit futher down the road he would have cost him a bit more but would still have a daughter!!.

10,000B for IV and 3 days in hopital is CHEAP!!!!!. Be about 1200B per day for the room and a few thousand for drugs.. Dont know if you will get that much cheaper in a public hospital. Suk Hosp. is private

Archived