SARS truth from a guy Living in Toronto

I am from Canada but not from Ontario or British Columbia, we the healthcare system here I am not afraid of SARS and I will not my habit to go to Asia because of it.

If someone doesn't want to go there at this time and they already have flight ticket and if you give me your ticket, your vacation time and your trip money I will go there and give you a good report when I come back. ::

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'm not up on virology; but, I get suspicious when the Chinese military is involved in the coverup. Chinese medical authorities admit that the statistics given to the WHO are totally inaccurate because, they simply do not include any figures from any of the Chinese military hospitals, of which there are many. BTW, it is now known that there are cases of the virus in nine, mainland provinces. The Chinese military is highly secretive, and that includes any information about their military hospitals. "

The Chinese did try to cover up all this. I think they underestimated it and thought it would die away. I see that as a way of saving face. This regime would always act this way, its in their blood.

The military excuse is just a part of the picture. They also classified cases in Beijing as imported from other countries when it clearly wasn't the case.

SARS is not unexpected. Similar less dangerous flu diseases have started in China throughout the years. Bird flu has been a problem before.

I find it very unlikely that this is any biological weapon which went off the track.

The reports which are coming out are conflicting, on the one handf they are saying that those dying are the weak and elderly then they are saying that most of those who died in Toronto are healthcare workers, not known for the preponderance of old and weak.

All governments have a vested interest in down playing the risks, I think the Canadian govt has acted slowly and is now very worried.

Maybe this SARS virus is like Captain Trips from the Stephen King novel The Stand, I hope not. I for one am avoiding the Chinese community until this mess has blown over.

Marks out of 10 for the Canadian govt in there handling of SARS 2/10 (Very poor effort.)

STH

"What don't you understand about the Chinese military?

Hiding the facts to save 'face' ? I seriously doubt that. "

The Chinese choose to put the blame on their inaccurate reporting on military hospitals. By this they are justifying underreporting the cases, saying its military secrets.

Was the Major in bejing who was fired recently a commander in the military? Why do you think he was sacked?

They thought this would blow over after the first outbreak in the Guangdong province, in Nov. last year. Do you think they would have thought so if they had developed this disease themself?

Openness about errors and faults is not common in China. So yes, they tried to save face, hide it and failed.

Do you blame the similar outbreaks of bird flu over the years on the Chinese military as well? Or what about the Spanish flu back in the start of last century? All these have similar traits ad probably origin.

How could SARS have any use as a biological weapon? It simply does not strike fast or deadly enough, and is not that easily spread.

HELP HELP!!!ADVICE PLEASE....I am booked to go bangkok end of next week I want to go and sit on beach But something says no no !!Can someone once and for all tell me shall i go to bangkok...I have been b4 but this SARS thing is worrrying me..I have been told uk is go but i dont want delays at airport !!

just fly any other airline than BA & you'll be fine at heathrow turning up about 90min before departure.

if for some reaSON flying ba just register with excutive club & do online checkin to avoid delay at checkin ;)

by the way best thing to do is to give me your ticket so I can start my hols a bit earlier than the planned 16may, but your ticket better be either direct eva/thai/garuda/quantas :dunno:

Falang: "... they hide it so they don't loose face, ..."

check_bib_krap: "The Chinese did try to cover all this. ... I see that as a way of saving face."

Are you guys implying that when Hong Kong, Vietnam and Taiwan openly reported their cases of the SARS virus, they were not concerned about saving face, or perhaps even more unusual, that they deliberately did so to lose face?

Remember the 'face' issue is prevalent throughout all of Asia ... not just China to the best of my knowledge.

:bow:

Archived