SARS truth from a guy Living in Toronto

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"With 13 deaths and only 103 cases it gives a death rate 3 times the world average. I understand that it may just be the virus is worse or some other reason other than the health care system but so far it does not look too good. "

Yes, there can be a number of reasons for this. Canada was hit rather early I think? So they were probably not ready for this and no experience in treatment yet.

There can be many other reasons - what kind of hospital did it spread in? Elderly patients there perhaps?

I think its unfair to judge unless more facts are known. And remember out of 8 cases reported in Thailand 2 are dead, thats also a big average although out of a small number.

It was interesting to see which country which got a rather critical comment from the latest WHO report, China:

"A WHO team of five experts has been invited by the Beijing Health Bureau to visit health facilities and review the SARS situation in Beijing. The invitation followed WHO concern about management of the SARS situation by health authorities, particularly in relation to case reporting and contact tracing."

On the other hand they had this to say about Viet Nam:

"In Viet Nam, one new case was reported and one case was removed from the list. The cumulative number of reported cases (62) remains the same as yesterday. High vigilance, excellent contact tracing, and good infection control are in place and are expected to keep the number of new cases, associated with the initial outbreak, small."

Makes me proud of whats now somhow my second home country. With small resources they have coped well. Maybe they are more open to advice from foreigners as well?

Cheers!

I agree that China should hang its head in shame and that there may be 'other' reasons for the high death rate in Canada but believe the last 3 were this weekend. As for Thailand there have not been enough cases to come to any conclusion as to treatment. From what I have heard, and have not read everything by any means, old/weak do not seem to be the major factors in deaths from this. It is the medical workers and family who are getting it. Only the young seem to be escaping most infections.

Actually, I just read that there is a segment of the population that is imune to this desease. It seems that fat bald men who work as aircraft mechanics in San Francisco are imune to it. Something about bay air and prolonged exposure to hydraulic fluid and jet fuel...so these guys are safe. The rest of you should stay home! We the bald will go and see what we can do to keep the economy growing... :)

I'm still worried about the West Nile virus ...and it's only a matter of time until the East Nile virus raises it's ugly head! I think I'm going to see where I can buy some jet fuel. ;)

OH, you're going to be like Charleton Heston in the movie "Omega Man"!

"I'm surprised nobody has raised the spectre that the SARS virus may have been the result of a Chinese military, bilogical-weapons, development program ...

... and that some sort of 'accidental

release' of the new virus occured. "

That speculation has been around. But the virus is not useful for this. It has an incubation period of up to 10 days. Its not that easily passed on. There are already other biological weapons which are far better for this use.

And remember - similar flu diseases have been troubelling China a long time (bird flu). Its not unexpected that this happened.

check_bin_krap,

I'm not up on virology; but, I get suspicious when the Chinese military is involved in the coverup. Chinese medical authorities admit that the statistics given to the WHO are totally inaccurate because, they simply do not include any figures from any of the Chinese military hospitals, of which there are many. BTW, it is now known that there are cases of the virus in nine, mainland provinces. The Chinese military is highly secretive, and that includes any information about their military hospitals.

[color:"blue"] "I'm not up on virology; but, I get suspicious when the Chinese military is involved in the coverup. Chinese medical authorities admit that the statistics given to the WHO are totally inaccurate because, they simply do not include any figures from any of the Chinese military hospitals, of which there are many. BTW, it is now known that there are cases of the virus in nine, mainland provinces. The Chinese military is highly secretive, and that includes any information about their military hospitals. " [/color]

Totally desagree with you on that, they hide it so they don't loose face, sound like something we read a lot on this board.

Archived