SARS truth from a guy Living in Toronto

Ok playas here is the deal with SARS in Toronto. Most of the people who think that they have it or had it, have the common flu. And the people who died from it were the elderly, or those with week imune systems. There are 9 SARS deaths in Toronto, but people also die from the common flu each year also. The desease is not spreading like wild fire like most people think it is. We are lucky to have a good health care system that provides us with free health care, so if you get sick with SARS you can be treated for free. And because of our health care system 40 people in Toronto have been treated and cured of SARS and released. People in T.O. are not running around with masks, they are going on with their daily lives. So there it is.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at work in UK a shitload of people are home sick with the flu I imagine, but then again it may be the sars for what I know.

at the same time most biz travel is restricted especially to/from asia, but I think I actually saved myself from the yearly flu in the UK - exactly by being away on biz - even it was in europe :grinyes::eek:

I think the main concern in the UK is that the health service may become over-loaded and not with the 4% mortality rate. So far most cases have been identified and isolated very quickly, but if there were to be a large number of concurrent cases, as in previous flu outbreaks, that would swamp the system especially if health staff were being affected. I also think being off work for upto three to four weeks would have an impact on many businesses.

Cheers Mr Kungfu (alternatively - 'respect') for your post. I've been saying much the same thing as yourself. I have an upcoming trip and find myself glued to the news for the latest in this SARS hysteria. My suspicion always was that the skivers in my trade would use SARS as an excuse for a couple of weeks buck-shee time off when all they have is a sniffle and a cough. When the world gets concerned about annual deaths from malaria then I'll worry about 'flu eh?

I is chipping now. Later bro'.

"With 10% of the worlds deaths from SARS? I know it 'may' have nothing to do with the helth care quality; but at this point would take my chances here in Thailand. "

I don't think you can blame the Canadian health care system for the cases of SARS there. This is what a recent report from WHO says:

"Health Canada is today reporting 101 probable SARS cases. All Canadian cases have occurred in persons who have travelled to Asia or had contact with SARS cases in the household or in a health-care setting. Ontario is reporting 98 probable cases. Three probable cases are reported in British Columbia."

As I see it the spread of SARS there has nothing to do with any lack of measures to contain it by the health system. Maybe the high numbers reflect better reporting and a good system?

I would certainly feel much safer in Canada than in Thailand..

Cheers!

Archived