Songkran impressions

Songkran has been real fun so far. It's just about the only time of the year I feel nice and cool when outside due to being doused with water.

Went to Patpong 2 Saturday daytime to shoot some pool. Not many people around as Sunday was the big festival day for there. Very fun though. Any vehicle making its way through the small soi was in for being stopped by a bar girl and doused with water from all directions; from up stairs,from inside the beer bars, and so forth. Motorcycles were a favorite target.

Sunday went to sanam ruang / kao san road with 3 Thai's. This place was absolutely packed and hard to move in some places; surprisingly few farangs. The talcum applied to one's face was in abundance far more than I had seen a year ago. I looked like a cromagnum man once the Thai's were through with me. Seemed to be lots more people than last year (much more Thai's too), but a lot less water flying around than a year ago when it was like a downpour.

The only strange sighting is this. I know there has been terrorist warnings and try to keep my eyes open for any unusual activity. I only noticed one gentleman of mideastern heritage. He was a younger guy just standing in the middle of the street surrounded by seas of Thai people and fending off everyone who tried to include him in on the action. Strange place to be when you don't want to get wet, but everyone was respecting it and he stayed dry.

I would say the impact of the ban on pump action waterguns and talcum has not been noticeable. These things were absolutely everywhere and in fact, the Emporium even has pump water guns for sale! There was just one small part of kao san road where the police were confiscating talcum; the same place they were doing it last year.

Bangkok now has little traffic with everyone home for the holiday and lots of pickups are swerving around the roads with drums of water and thai's hanging out.

Fun time. Have just about had my fill till next year.

Hi,

"Strange place to be when you don't want to get wet, but everyone was respecting it and he stayed dry."

I wish they were all this considerate.

Late Monday afternoon I stood at the beginning of my soi waiting for a taxi. It was obvious to all that I was not interested in playing. The people in the first pickup just smiled at me, the ones in the second threw a bucket of water soaking my chest. The result a cold for the last 2 days. Thanks a lot :onfire:

Once again I am remember as to why I *despise* Songkran :onfire:

Sanuk!

i was on one of the pickups with drums of water and pump action waterguns as well. the real action and the water battles took not place in kao san, sanam luang and not in lower sukhumvit and soi cowboy (however we passed there and showered a bunch of BGs). the real action was in upper sukhumvit (from soi 90) and lad phrao; there were dozens and dozens of pick up trucks and dozens of water ambushs in the sois. but everything was very fair and under control as only people, who really wanted to play got affected, while others kept dry...

Hi,

"but everything was very fair and under control as only people, who really wanted to play got affected, while others kept dry..."

If only....

I am sorry, but this certainly is not my impression. And I live in a Thai area (there is no way you would stay dry if there are farang tourists around).

Sanuk!

no farang tourists in upper sukhumvit and lad phrao, where the action took place. during the whole journey (around 3 hours) i saw only andother farang at a water ambush and on farang girl on another pickup. people who obviously did not want to play were not involved. the waterbattle focused on pickups against ambush or pickups against eachother.

of course a completely different picture on lower sukhumvit: farang tourists with their waterguns soaking everyone; in the ambush in front of bush gardens and other clinton bars just everybody got wet

and in soi cowboy sunday afternoon the rule was as well everybody against everybody. a big chaos

Hi,

Fully agree on the farang areas, the fuckers playing there will soak everybody. However as I wrote not everybody outside of those areas is considerate either.

I have no problem with people playing Songkran, just leave those that don't alone.

Sanuk!

I wasn't much interested in playing either.

I got drenched the first day but then I didn't say I wasn't playing so I suffered. But the second day I made it clear that I wasn't playing so most just smiled and passed. Then one turd thought he would make a point and drenched my back. I don't think he was ready for the verbal barrage (in Thai) that he got, including 'Didn't your parents teach you any manners' (it's a much worse insult in Thai) He got all uppity like "This is Thailand, This is Songkran" Fortunately he had a big group of friends around (who it must be said were most apologetic for this asshole) so I refrained from feeding him the water bowl.

I did have a pleasant Songkran at the GF's grandmother's house where the proper spirit of the occasion took place, with a symbolic 'bathing of the elders'.

Well, I live in the lad phrao area and I didn't want to get soaked, but did. So that's about 18 out of 20 groups respecting my wishes.

Though, after I got to JJ and bought a loaf of bread, I was only soaked once more and that was by a spoiled farang kid who must have been friends of the stall owner. If the kid didn't skidaddle I was really going to let him have it.

<<burp>>

Archived