underground trains in ratchada

hornydude

Nobody knows! even not the thai government, the governour of bangkok, the authorities, the company that runs the subway!

nobody knows!

it should have been late this year, but then it was postponed to late 2004...maybe at the king's or queen's birthday...2005???

Was supposed to be this year actually! It was delayed until August of next year and looks like that is tentative as Siemens won't be delivering the trains until that time so there willl be a few months of testing. My best guess would be December next year for HRM the King's birthday.

Cheers!

I don't know how reliable the information is, but here is an interesting site that still pegs the opening at August 12, 2004:

http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/Subway/index.shtml

What I understand is that this date may be achievable for a token opening - i.e. one train running between a limited set of stations. I understand that full operation may not be in place until early 2005.

"Let the good times roll!"

Stone Soup

The Fighting Fish

Can't wait!

I hate the traffic on ratchada too. From Suk. I go freeway to suthisan cut through some of the intamara an make my way to the car park at the back of the Emerald hotel. I never drive on Rachada if possible.

As far as I know, the underground is completely finished, but they "FORGOT" to order the cars. Now they had to beg Siemens to deliever quicker. Normal delievery time is about 14 months, as far as I remember, and Siemens promised to deliever within 6 months....for a surcharge of round about 200 Mill. Baht. :: Then the drivers have to be trained, and the line has to be "Testdriven". I think the cars are due to be delievered in August.

There is still a lot of traffic on Ratchada but since the underpass intersections started operation the flow is much better. Even the Latphao Road interchange is now smooth outside of rush hours. Of course it will never be the same as it was about 22 years ago when there was nothing there but a new highway through the rice fields.

but they "FORGOT" to order the cars
I heard there was a financial aspect to that lapse of memory. I also heard they will start in August of next year (presumably on 12 August, which is H.M. the Queen's Birthday), but with fewer trains than originally planned. TIT.

I READ in the post that Maksaan may become a huge transport hub for the new airport which incorporates a train terminal, hotels and mega mall.

With Thai logic I bet the underground will not conect with this new transport terminal.

Archived