New Fine/penalty for long term residents

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you have really done this regularly since you stay here??
I have done it since it started to be enforced several years ago. It was all over the media and forums and immigration was very careful to send you upstairs to register when you extended your visa. And from the number of people there each time I register wonder if you friends information dates to before it started to be enforced? There have always been people reporting when I have been there. And most have not had to pay a fine.

What clause of visa holders does this fine apply to?

If I'm a Type O non immigrant visa am I still expected to "check in" to immigration ever three months and will I be subject to a fine if I don't?

So, let's see SARS has wiped out tourism and now they want to get rid of the expats?

This fine applys to folks with one year visas. If you have a typical non "O" multiple entry visa you need to exit, re-enter the kingdom every 90 days or, if you meet the requirements, apply for a one year visa once in Thailand then check in with immigration every 90 days (you don't have to exit the kingdom).

If you overstay your 90 days on a typical non "O" you pay 200baht/day up to 20,000baht (if the police don't nail you before your departure) though I wouldn't recommend doing it.

If you stay in Thailand more than 90 days. If you exit the time starts from when you return. So if you have a one year visa extension and don't travel you have to report address to immigration every 90 days. If you travel on a re-entry permit and don't stay longer than 90 days before the next trip you don't have to report to immigration. If you live outside of Bangkok the entire process can be done by mail.

If there is a market niche to be filled here, my company can set up a program to help folks comply with this program by mail. We can provide forms and instructions, and we can hand-carry mailed-in passports and completed forms, and then return procesed passports back to owner, along with new form for the next time.

Cost + 1,500 baht for each 90 day registration. This way you at least know your passport remains under control of someone that you can track down. "Cost" should just be return postage (or courier fee).

I would also be willing to explore a "system" for individually resolving cases of overdue reporting - basically work out a fine "scale" with immigration- at least you would have a fixed, known fine (or "bribe") rate to pay to get back on track. We'd work this out on "cost plus 1,500 baht additional" basis.

If anyone is interested, please send me a PM to steve@indo-siam.com.

Stone Soup

If there is a market niche to be filled here
As the thread is only about a 2,000 baht charge for never doing it not sure you will find many thinking paying 1,500 every 90 days worthwhile. As for control the mail process does not require a passport AFAIK. You just mail completed form along with photo copies. You get back the receipt and new form in the self addressed envelope you provided. If designed for in Bangkok persons you might have a market but believe the price would have to be much lower as most would probably find it cheaper to send the wife or maid if they did not want to do it themselves.

Hi Lopburi -

'Fully concur with all of your statements. I've been conforming to the requirement all along, and I know Room 401 at Suan Phlu well. If there are people in a panic, my firm can perhaps help. At less than 1,500 baht per head, it is not of interrest to us. I sure won't lose any sleep over not gaining business that never even occurred to me before. ::

I have to admit that I chuckle whenever I read comments by someone stating "gee, I knew it was a WRITTEN (in English - on your TM card) Thai government rule, but I heard they weren't enforcing it, so I never bothered..."

This is THAILAND - where underpaid bureaucrats have elevated extracting money from farangs to a high form of artistic expression. Enforcement policy can reverse on .... a satang ... particularly if a flow of many satang in the direction of the Thais can be arranged.

To disregard a printed rule - sort of like walking into a hungry tiger's cage with juicy raw steaks strapped to your arms and chest. Whatever.

There are PROBLEMS and there are EXPENSES. If throwing money at a PROBLEM can solve it, then it isn't really a PROBLEM - it's just an EXPENSE. Lots of people think they have problems. What they really have is expenses.

My company handles other people's expense transactions - when they have better things to do with their time.

Cheers!

The Fighting Fish

Says bahnawk:

This fine applys to folks with one year visas. If you have a typical non "O" multiple entry visa you need to exit, re-enter the kingdom every 90 days or, if you meet the requirements, apply for a one year visa once in Thailand then check in with immigration every 90 days (you don't have to exit the kingdom).

If you overstay your 90 days on a typical non "O" you pay 200baht/day up to 20,000baht (if the police don't nail you before your departure) though I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Gleamed the following from the Thai consulate web page that in part makes a statement about registering:

ONE YEAR STAY VISA FOR SETTING RETIREMENT (O-A)

1. GENERAL INFORMATION

This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take retreat in the Kingdom at least for the period of one year. .

4. RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE ALIEN WHILE STAYING IN THE KINGDOM

When completing the stay of 90 days in the Kingdom, the alien shall report to the competent

authority and repeat it every 90 days with the immigration officer in the alien's residence area,

or report to the police station in the alien's residence area if there is no immigration control there.

(In order to report to the competent authority by mail, the alien shall do as follows:

- The Report Form (To Mo 47) together with a copy of the passport pages showing the alien's photo,

personal details, and the latest arrival visa stamp as well as a self addressed envelop with postage

affixed, shall be forwarded, by 7 days before the due date, by acknowledgement of receipt mail to the

Immigration Bureau, Sathon Tai Road, Sathon District, Bangkok 10120. In the case of conducting any

following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.)

Shit

Archived