New Fine/penalty for long term residents

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says khunsanuk:

Hi,

Isn't this contradicting itself?

It first says "RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE ALIEN" which to me means it is *not* mandatory, yet then goes on to use "shall" which implies that it *is* mandatory.

Sanuk!

My guess is that this was translated from the Thai version to english. So either the person doing the translation made an error, or it could have been written this way in the original Thai document. My take is what a earlier poster said: you must register every 90 days.

Shit

Given the general quality of translation and the specific use of the word "shall" I think the translator has merely misused the word "recommendations" when "requirements" would be proper.

If I have a 'Bai Rap Rawng Tee Yoo Asai' from the local police station. Will this suffice?

A 'Bai rap rawng Tee Yoo Asai' is proof of address which I got from the police with my land lady. As such I am registered at my address with the local police. The nearest immigration department is about 150km away but is in my province.

I got a guy in work to call the immigration department and they said there was a fine... but when I told him I had a 'Bai rap rawng...' he said, 'oh, that's ok then. What are you worried about?'.

I know I filled in some form but I don't know if it was the right one. I have nothing special stapled into my passport.

BTW, I do believe this is a rip off. I never read my TM card. When I was last in immigration in January, they just said 'come back here on June 30th to get your visa renewed'.

:dunno:

I have been reporting every 90 days - well when I say I have, it has infact been my company doing it on my behalf.

Every 90 days I have a new piece of paper inserted into my passport saying I am fully up to date and have complied with all the requirements.

I personally have no problem with it as it is nothing more sinister than buracracy working overtime.

Cheers

farangman

Says samak:

Says lopburi3:

There are many who have been doing this 90 day report so don't believe those owing 2000 baht is anything close to 'everyone'

you have really done this regularly since you stay here??

i do not know anybody, who has ever done that. i have asked around when i started here and all expats told me that this is one of the many bureaucratic rules that nobody cares about and that the officials even would not know what to do if you went reporting after 90 days...

I received a PWC flash update quite a while ago that stated the Thai government would begin cracking down on violators of this rule. At the time I checked along with another farang in my company and found that our immigration lawyer had been filing for us. Now an anonymous HR girl in my new company files for me. A friend has a similar setup but got into trouble when his anonymous HR girl forgot to file- so he paid and had his company reimburse him for the expense.

As far as enforcement goes, not the first case of changes happening without adequate warning and probably won't be the last! :dunno:

Here is some FIRST hand info....

One of my students mother was (transferred every 3 years)Head of immigration (non- immigrants) on suan plue and i asked her 2 years ago about it.. She explained to me that a few years ago the minister of immigration was out of town and the deputy min started this rule. But the Minister returned and did not like it but it was too late. so most of the time it is ignored. I was suppost to be fined 2000 a few years ago. but talked my way out of the fine.. Plus it helps to know the guys boss

Archived