Secret "Best of" Thai Food

Brink15

In Hat Yai, the road coming from the railway station, there's a Chinese restaurant called NaYoa, great food, my fave in HY.

I'll have to check that one out on my next trip to HY. Does this place have Dim Sum? There was an amazing Guaytee-oh Ped place in HY, although I can't remember exactly where. It was on a corner and open on both sides. Used Chinese style roast duck in the soup. Better than any I'd had anywhere.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chumpon province has tasty smallish bananas called finger bananas. Somewhere on highway 41, 40km before Chumpon town there is a large group of banana stalls.

Also along highway 41, but 50 km North of Surat Thani, at Chaiya there are 162 stalls selling Khai Khem (salted eggs) , seems they are covered with mud and wrapped in some black dust. They have a reddish yok, you can fry or boil them.

thalenoi,

I've seen bananas that size in Phuket but was always told they needed to be cooked and were great for kluay bowt chi or other dishes. Can the ones you describe be eaten raw?

Khai khem has never done anything for me but I suppose this is due to the fact that khem is my least favorite flavor followed by khohm. I'll still have to visit this place as my wife loves the stuff.

Very cool.

Some of the best Chinese food I've had anywhere was in HY so I look forward to the new recommendations.

As for Samui food I'm not too worried. I hope to get a list of the best places from the newest CD at SIDS the next time I'm on the Island. :grinyes:

[color:"blue"] "I've seen bananas that size in Phuket but was always told they needed to be cooked and were great for kluay bowt chi or other dishes. Can the ones you describe be eaten raw?" [/color]

Those little one you see in Phuket you can eat it raw, arroy mak mak

Damn, wish I knew that then. Everyone (khun Thai) used to tell me they were for kluay bowt chi. Another was for kluay toht. And another for eating.

Could it be that there were more than a few very small bananas? I always remember them mentioning something about seeds or "met."

Says Brink15:

Very cool.

Some of the best Chinese food I've had anywhere was in HY so I look forward to the new recommendations.

As for Samui food I'm not too worried. I hope to get a list of the best places from the newest CD at SIDS the next time I'm on the Island.
:grinyes:

Be my guest, for the culinary highlights tour of Samui.

Looking forward to it!! :hug::applause: ::

Says Brink15:

I don't know when I'll get there but it's on the very top of my list.
:grinyes:

Great,

I'll check them all every week, just to make sure that they'll meet standards when you come :grinyes:

BTW there's a new Brazilian restaurant in Chaweng, called Zico's where all you can eat grilled meat, like beef, lamb, chicken, pork and fish, prawns, barracuda and salmon are served with a a big juicy salad bar for 600Baht per person. The good thing is the 2 Brazilian dancers who every hour and a half or so come to your table or the bar and jiggle and wiggle their booty and booby's in front of your face. Good food, good eyecandy. :devil:

Archived