</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

Let's see if the girls from Ipanema can make a hard man humble

You mean show those Brazilian babes what sticks of meat are all about? :o

Mmm, that's more like it :hubba:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found another one from one of the guys at our restaurant.

In the area near the entrance to Wat Saket there is a place that supposedly sells the best Pad Thai to be found anywhere in the Kingdom. It is not cheap at approx. 150 to 200 Baht (this is not tourist food either) but it includes really large fresh shrimp and all top quality ingredients and comes surrounded by egg almost like a huge omelet.

This guy knows food (he's a chef so he should) and I've followed his advice on my last trip and had some excellent meals.

He said just ask any of the shop owners in the area where the great pad thai place is and they'll know where you want to go.

Are you sure it's not Wat Liab instead of Wat Saket? There's a very famous pad thai place at Wat Liab that fits your description perfectly. Otherwise, I guess wats are common places for outstanding pad thai stalls.

Definitely Wat Saket but I'll ask him about Wat Liab.

We had a long discussion about Wat Saket supposedly being haunted as it had served as a repository for corpses in the late 19th century during a TB (?) epidemic. I told him I knew of the Wat and its history but had never been.

So the Pad Thai at Wat Liab also is in that price range and surrounded by egg?

Interesting, it must be some specialty I had not seen. Where is Wat Liab?

It's been several years since I've been there, but the Wat Liab phad thai was much cheaper (20 or 25 baht, at the time) than the Wat Saket version apparently is. It was made with or without egg, but with dried shrimp (not fresh), and the chef was a real master.

I first learned about it when it appeared on one of the Bangkok Post's food writer's (Ung-aang Talay's) "top ten meals" one year.

Wat Liab is right at the base of Memorial Bridge ("Saphan Phut"), on the Bangkok side. It's right at the Pak Klong Talad (flower market) and adjacent night market. The phad thai stall is just inside the gates (the gates facing the bridge) of the wat, in a section of the parking lot. The stall was/is open only in the late afternoon/evening hours (up until about 10:00 p.m., I believe).

Hi Mr. B,

isn't pad thai wrapped in an egg called Pad thai how kai?

There's a good version on Samui at Eddys, another place we can go and visit, inbetween Bophud and Maenam. :grinyes:

After a week on Samui I can roll you on to the ferry. :grinyes:

isn't pad thai wrapped in an egg called Pad thai how kai?

Don't know. But I'll ask.

I was surprised when he said that it was wrapped in egg as I'd never seen this before.

He said this pad thai was really special as the quality was way beyond stall food. The shrimp they were using were fresh jumbos. The guy has been a chef for years and really knows good food so I trust his judgment. He also told me about Nakhon Pathom having the best khao moo daeng and as far as I've eaten to date he is right.

I'll add the Samui place to my list of places to hit when I make it your way. :grinyes:

(Later: Limbo to his wife - "This Brink guy is a real pain in the ass. I invited him to come have a beer and now he is looking for land to build a house so that he can go to all the good restaurants and dive sites we have here." :o)

Hi Brink,

normally you don't get your Pad Thai served wrapped, however most places will peobably do it for you if you order it. Eddy's in Samui just has it that way, huuuuge portion as well and really good, about 100Baht or so.

It's pronounced like hoh not like how in English.

Re. the comment to my wife hehehe5555 :grinyes::beer::doah::help:

Archived