Road rules..??

Well Just bought a new car and wondering about all those road rules I dont know about and thought we may put our heads together to learn the rules of the road

ON the curb if it is red and white stripped it , or black and white stripped there is no stopping but what is the difference

Can you legally go straight a T interection in the outside lane? Seen it done every day. The outside lane is for cars going straight despite the color of the late and the inside lane is for cars turning right into the T intersection.. Is this legal?

Any other rules

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red/white no stop. Black/white can stop to pickup but not park.

To me a "T" is the end of the road. You have to turn left or right, as indicated. You ARE driving on the left? The outside lane is always to the right/center so you don't turn right from the inside/left lane. Think I will stay off the roads for awhile!

Its possible, the soi I live in changes the side on which you are allowed to park every day so if a car is left overnight and not switched early in the Morning Mr Plod gives them a ticket, BUT Mercs and high end BMW's are exempt from this rule its seems. I have checked in the morning, every pickup gets a ticket but the afore mention German Boxes do not. Now this is probably because the kind Mr Plod realises that these people are in financial strife keeping up the payments so he is as usual just using his kind heart to assist them.

Good idea... I will have to break a few canadian habits. Although I did drive when Stick and I rented a car for a week and when I lived in Australia, it still takes alot of concentration to remember what lanes I turn into. That damn turning indicator is on the wrong side and I have a bitch of a time remembering where the thing is and keep on switching on my wipers everytime I want to change lanes. I eventually gave up on a turning indicator. Wish me luck and if you see a farang in a new car going down the wrong lane, give me a wave!! This is going to be fun.

What do you do WHEN you get into an accident
Seriously; stop where you are and don't move anything until police allow. Assume you WILL have good insurance so you call them, or have someone call them (with almost everyone having a celphone here not that hard now) and wait for police to make their marks (they paint locations) and insurance adjuster to do his thing. Police will mediate and everyone should leave happy. Don't try to drive like a Thai (on the other guys bumper) until you have more experience. And don't expect many other drivers to know any rules much better than you; except might makes right.

If it looks like you'll be at fault make a getaway in the car if possible. If you are unable to make a getaway don't admit to anything, call your insurance company and they will come sort it out with the police. Be sure to get good insurance from a company with offices throughout the provinces. The mandatory government insurance isn't worth shit to a farang but still required even if you do get proper insurance.

As precautionary measures to prevent and avoid road accidents, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) urges all road-users to strictly observe the following traffic regulations and guidelines.

1. Before putting a vehicle into motion always check the following: driver's license, yearly vehicle tax payment sticker, yearly vehicle insuranee payment sticker, license plate, and vehicle condition such as wheel brake, emergency brake, headlights, taillights, etc

The maximum speed limit to cars inside a city limit is 60 km/hr for outside a city limit.

The maximum speed limit for motorcycles inside city limit is 60 km/hr and 80 km/hr for outside a city limit.

The driver should pay special attention to highway signs posted on the left-hand side of the road for specified speed limits.

2. Always drive on the left side of the road. When there are two or more lanes for traffic in the same direction, slower vehicles must use the leftmost lane except when passing or making a right turn.

3. Always slow down to a safe and reasonable speed when driving on a narrow road or when approching curves, intersections, business or residential areas, road construction zone, and oncoming vehicles.

4. Never pass any vehicle when driving through residential areas, intersections, curves, or over a bridge. Always pass other vehicles on the right.

Never pass other vehicles on the left except when the leading vehicle is making a right turn or when there are two or more lanes for traffic in the same direction.

5. When driving at night, always turn on headlights and taillights.

6. Broken down or parked vehicles must be parked on the side of the road or the shoulder of the road. A warning sign which could be seen over an appropriate distance must be displayed. At nighttime emergency red lights must be used to provide warning.

7. Give the right-of-way signal to vehicles coming from main roads.

8. Strictly obey traffic lights and posted traffic signs.

9. Never control a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or intoxication liquor; or while being sick or dizzy.

10. Always take safety precautions while in control of a vehicle.

11. Always allow a safety distance while following a vehicle.

12. Slow down to a reasonable speed, and do not sound the horn if it is not necessary while passing through the following zones; school, hospital or public agency.

13. Always give a headlight signal or sound the horn and make sure there are not obstructions or oncoming vehicles before passing the leading vehicle.

14. When a driver is involved in an accident which causes injuries or property damages, always provide assistance wherever it is necessary. Immdediately notify the nearest police station and identify yourself as well. The driver who fails to stop at the scene of the accident which he is responsible for would be considered guilty and might be sentenced to imprisonment.

15. Sound the horn and slow down the vehicle when approaching a stopped vehicle which is letting passengers get on or get off and give warning particularly to deaf and blind persons.

16. Safety rules for pedestrains

Always use sidewalks or road shoulders if there are any; if not, always walk on the right side of the road to be able to see oncoming vehicles.

Always cross the road only when it is absolutely safe to do so. Especially in Bangkok, please watch out for bus lanes as buses sometimes run against the traffic flow.

When crossing the road at nighttime always do so at a lighted area or use a flashlight for indentification purposes.

Always obey traffic lights, i.e. cross the road only when the red traffic light is on for the approching vehicles, and make sure that the vehicles have come to a complete stop.

17. Safety rules for bus passengers

Always wait for a bus or a vehicle on the sidewalk, the road shoulder, or at bus stops.

Before getting on a bus or a vehicle, wait until it has stopped completely and other passengers who want to get off have done so.

Always take a seat when it is available; if not stay inside the bus or the vehicle. Do not stand on the doorsteps.

Never get on or get off the bus or the vehicle while it is moving, waiting for traffic lights, or while it is in the middle of the road.

For private or public vehicles, the passengers should always get on or get off the vehicles where it is not prohibited. Always stop the vehicles at the sidewalks and get on or get off on the left side of the vehicles.

http://sunsite.au.ac.th/thailand/road/

Safe Driving In Thailand

..........................................................................................................................

THAI ROADS

All main and most minor roads are sealed with asphalt (Sometimes concrete) and are generally well-maintained. Warning signs and reflective arrows mark sharp corners, while temporary signs mark hazards like landslides and road works (these can be extensive where upgrading is in process).

Main intersections are illuminated with sodium lighting. The government is firmly in control of the whole country and there are no security problems.

ROAD SIGNS AND KILOMETRE STONES

Bilingual (English/Thai) road signs indicate destinations and route numbers before intersections, and show the road number and the distance to the next main destination after the intersection. Kilometre markers show the road number and distance down the road on the front face. Distances to the next destination in the direction of travel are found on the side of the stone.

ROAD SIGNS AND KILOMETRE STONES

Bilingual (English/Thai) road signs indicate destinations and route numbers before intersections, and show the road number and the distance to the next main destination after the intersection. Kilometre markers show the road number and distance down the road on the front face. Distances to the next destination in the direction of travel are found on the side of the stone.

LOCAL DRIVERS

Most drivers in Thailand are reasonable, if not a little selfixh. They tend to give way little and you may have to be a little forceful to get into traffic on busy roads. Unfortunately heavy vehicles often force oncoming traffic onto the hard shoulder when overtaking. Be ready to go onto the hard shoulder at a moment's notice, especially on blind corners! Be careful of vehicles entering from side roads.

AT NIGHT

Many vehicles do not have rear lights, especially carts, motorcycles and bicycles. Do not drive fast just after dusk as lots of local traffic is returning to the villages. Many traffic accidents happen at this time in Thailand! Be careful of oncoming vehicles with one light-they may not be motorcycles! Night driving is not recommendes.

FUEL

24 hour service stations are found on main routes and at the major towns, but rural stations will close in the evening. Prices are around 12 baht a litre, and most gas stations will reauire cash.

ROAD RULES

The maximum speed limit is 60 kph in town and 90 kph on highways, if you can believe it! Seat belts should be worn and driving while drunk is illegal.

" Thai Drive on the Left . . . most of the time. "

Rules of the Road - Thai Style

A vehicle following you no closer than 10 cm is not considered to be tailgating.

If the driver in front of you, especially a truck, flashes his left turn signal a few times, he may be telling you that it is safe to pass. But he may be wrong.

If the driver in front of you, especially a truck, flashes his right turn signal a few times, he may be telling you that it is not safe to pass. And he will usually be right.

If a driver approaching from the opposite direction flashes his headlights it may mean, "police ahead, watch your speed", or "don't pass that car, you fool, I'm coming too fast!" or "I have screwed up big time by trying pass this vehicle so please give me some room by heading for the shoulder."

The largest vehicle has the right of way, except elephants always have the right of way and water buffalos come second.

Expect busses, especially orange ones, to overtake on curves, hills and as you are approaching from the opposite direction.

If you are on a motorcycle, and see an oncoming bus, expect another bus to overtake it; especially if the road has no shoulders.

If you are overtaking a vehicle, expect another driver to decide to overtake you at the same time.

If you are on a motorcycle or bicycle, keep as careful a watch behind as in front of you.

If you have an accident, you will most likely be blamed.

Learn to read the Thai script for Man and Lady for service station restrooms

DRIVERS LICENSE

All drivers must hold a current, non-probationary license. The license may either be Thai, or from the renter's country of residence (wiht an English translation), or an international driver's permit. Licenses (and a valid passport) must be carried at all times when driving.

IF YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT

If possible leave your vehicle where it came to rest, (so that police can apportion blame for the accident) and contact the police as soon as possible. Dial 191 for a toll free call to the local police. Make sure injured parties get to a hospital as soon as possible (other Thais will often take care of this) and set up warnings for other drivers (placing branches of trees on the road); then contact Budget. Stay with you vehicle and take care of you valuables!

Happy safe driving!

Archived