Road rules..??

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Your Canadian right, dont talk to me about road rules, was in Banff NP when I came across traffic chaos on a highway, a grizzly had decided to take a wonder onto the road and stay on it, watching the Japanese tourist climb off the tour bus ahead of me and get within 20 feet of it to get good shots was amazing considoring I'm told they move very fast and can remove ones head with great ease, road rules my arse, go teach your wildlife before you worry bout los eh

Only had three minor accidents. One a city bus moved from curb across three lanes to hit my rear quarter panel as we both wanted to turn right. Fault bus driver. Other two were motorcycles that could not stop and bit my rear end, breaking rear light once and side mirror the other time. Both stopped and were willing to pay but did not bother to waste our time for the small amount involved. Prefer not to drive and mostly use taxi as feel guilty if run the 'far' left lane to get ahead of queue myself but no problem with the taxi driver doing it. :o

As this post is now 5 days old, I guess that you will have experience by now :)

You surely cannot be serious with the questions that you have raised in this thread?

Have you taken any sort of driving tuition, test of competence anywhere? or is this a first step from dog sleds?, just curious:)Sq

"If it looks like you'll be at fault make a getaway in the car if possible."

This advice seems odd from someone touting a 'jai dee' moniker under his board name.

Sq

Actually serious.. Have driven for 15 years but mostly on the other side. Have lived in thailand for over 4 years , but still wonder about some rules.. If they are actual rules are just the way things are done. If you can provide any usefull advice I would appreciate it. From the tone of your posts you seem to think you are an expert so please enlighten us. I have the thai drivers manual in Thai and am reading it now.. My wife is about to take her test. But in the driving manual they have a curb with a yellow and white stripped area. It says you can stop here. I have never seen a yellow and white stripped area ever!!! Oh well. A few of the signs in tha manual are confusing me also. Oh well.

gahrok said: "This advice seems odd from someone touting a 'jai dee' moniker under his board name"

I acquired the "Jai Dee" from a single act of, what some considered a kindness, I contributed to a new server fund for this site last year.

My comments on driving in Thailand are based on many years of driving in Thailand where financial responsibility is usually placed not on who is at fault but on which driver has the most money, (with a few exceptions; drive a Benz, BMW, or have connections etc). Being a farang doesn't help your case, the opposite in fact.

I also carry good insurance but for minor accidents it's time consuming and generally a pain in the butt to wait for the police and your insurance agent to sort it out.

"From the tone of your posts you seem to think you are an expert "

WYD,

I do consider myself a good driver, I hold licences for motorcycle, car, Articulated truck (think that in US they are referred as semi's??), and PSV (bus), and have driven in several countries on both sides of the road.

Don't know if that makes me an expert in your judgement, but you are right about the tone of my post for a different reason.

Having been pushed off the road into the central drainage ditch by a dipshit, who incidentally fled the scene, and having spent 2 weeks in hospital as a result, this sort of stuff is like a 'red rag to a bull', to me.

Sorry if my post was a little strong, compared to my normal reaction I thought I managed to temper it rather well :)

Just go steady and pay extra attention to traffic observation (they do tend to do unpredictable things) and you will be OK. Even considering the above incident, I do not think that Thai driving standards are too bad compared to some places I have driven.

Sq.

Archived