Road rules..??

Mate,

How you got the jai dee moniker is not relevent, as it is not qualified on the board. To me, 'jai dee' translates as consideration, kindness etc.

the reason you made your statement is not lost on me.

But all the same I think it is stupid quip (I assume it was meant as such) considering that fleeing the scene of an accident is a criminal offence.

See my above post to WYD for the reason that I get a little emotional over this sort of stuff.

Incidentally, a very high profile Insurance company who I refer to as the Arseholes In Action, prolonged the pain and suffering for another 18 months following my incident. I would advise anyone to avoid them.

Sq.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Anybody know if a Thai living in the UK can have a provo driving licence with the intent to learn to drive here. I am of the conclusion my mrs is an expert driver as she points out to me on every given chance on me driving poorly (too fast she says!!) :cussing: whilst out in our mota. At least we drive on the correct side of the road as they do in los, so at least she has a few less issues to deal with, but then theres the ''school run'', where all the mums are out in their Landcruisers and Mercs dropping of little Johnny who lives only 0.5 mile from the school blocking nearly every road :doah:. I will be buying duel controls and booking into marraige guidence sessions prior to her taking behind the wheel with me in the passenger seat :D, oh and some valium will be the order of the day ::

I don't see why you consider it a stupid quip, I didn't mean for it to be. Since you've had the misfortune to experience this sort of behavior first hand you should realize that it is the rule of the road. If I were in your situation I would be very pissed off as well but not surprised (unless the other driver actually stopped).

Fleeing the scene of an accident is a criminal offence while being involved in an accident is also treated as a crime with the "guilty" party often held at the police station until bail is posted. Another rule of the road is a Farang is usually considered the "guilty" party.

As to the jai dee moniker you seem to be having a problem accepting I'll put it this way, if Charlie Manson had donated to the server fund he would also have the moniker if that makes it any better for you.

Bahnawk,

I agree with your points on the way that things usually transpire, and I didn?t intend to suggest that I was surprised by this, but that is a long way from elevating and advising this as acceptable ?rules of the road? as you put it.

If someone were to ask where he may go to find young boys for his gratification, that may lead me to ignore him or suggest that he f*** off, but it would not lead me to condone it by suggesting places for him to visit, justified by the fact that this also goes on.

I have no problem with your jai dee moniker. My post was directed to your advice, ?to scarper if at fault for an accident? which by my benchmark would suggest avoiding the consequences of your own actions and which I at least would consider generally inconsiderate, and which I found paradoxical with, again my understanding of, Jai Dee as describing a generally considerate person.

I am not suggesting that you are either, nor did I intend to cause offence.

Sq.

gahrok said: "My post was directed to your advice, ?to scarper if at fault for an accident? which by my benchmark would suggest avoiding the consequences of your own actions and which I at least would consider generally inconsiderate"

My original post was: "If it looks like you'll be at fault" By this I meant if you are likely to be blamed, no matter who's at fault. It's usually a given the Farang is at fault unless you have an insurance agent arguing your case for you.

Suppose you are on a one month vacation to Thailand. Two weeks into your holiday you and your girlfriend decide to drive up-country to visit her family. At dusk you stop at a roadside food area a bit outside of a town to buy some goodies to snack on. You continue driving along on a typical two lane road doing eighty clicks, your girlfriend happily munching on fried crickets, when a motorcycle with two young guys, probably drunk, pulls out of a side road without bothering to look, in typical Thai style. They attempt to occupy, at exactly the same moment, the exact same space your car is destined to occupy. They of course are not successful and smack hard into the side of your car.

Your speed carries you a distance and as you are slowing down looking for a place to turn around and return, as you have learned is the proper thing to do, you suddenly realize that you ain't in Kansas, you're in the heartland of Thailand surrounded buy a bunch of small brown people who earn less money in a good year than you earn in a slow month and where the police are infamous for their corruption. Your girlfriend is shouting, "reep pai, reep pai, reh-oh reh-oh duay" ("What the fuck are you doing slowing down? Punch it.") You look in the rear view mirror and see a few people running over to gawk at the bikers who are sort of rolling around, not dead.

You're pumped full of adrenalin, brain working overtime. You recall stories of people, especially Farangs, being held responsible for accidents when it's not their fault. You might ask yourself, "What would that fucking know-it-all prick on the Nana message board, the one with the jai dee moniker, have to say about a situation like this."

He'd probably say something like; "Damage is already done, looks like they're not dead, dumb fuckers, and a pickup will haul them to the hospital in town shortly. Just play it stupid, like nothing happened, and keep on moving. You've got two weeks left of your holiday, why ruin it?"

"Or, you can do the "right" thing, and hoping that your insurance company won't jerk you around this time, return to the scene. But if you do go back, and your insurance agent doesn't show up, you might as well pull your pants down and grab your ankles 'cause people are going to be queuing up to put it to the rich Farang and the police are gonna be first in line followed by members of the "victims" families. And if your luck is really bad, lawyers and judges might jump in line too. Get that passport out because the police will want it until they are certain everyone is satisfied that you've been properly reamed."

You aren't likely to ever have to deal with a situation similar to this but if it happened to you are you certain, that no matter what the circumstances, you'd remain at the scene of an accident?

Guest lazyphil

I hope lady luck looks after me and nothing like the scenario you paint happens to me. If it did as I sit here right now I'd say, yes I'd stop and do the right thing; But in the heat of the moment it might easily go the other way and I f**k off at speed into the sunset ::

Bahnawk,

Never say never, isn't that the refrain.

I do not disagree at all with the stuff that you have said about the way things play out, and in any number of given circumstances one's instantaneous reaction is likely to be somewhat different than a reasoned one would be, and I will not say with absolute certainty that Yes I would do the decent thing. These are the moral judgements that we all make every day, in the game of life.

I think that lazy Phil has concisely summed it, and I would concur with that.

Self preservation is a powerful motivation, but having been on the receiving end of circumstances similar to those you describe, (I was knocked out cold and awoke in hospital some time later, covered in blood and mud from being dragged out and carted, I assume, on said pick up), I have to say that I could not live, No, let me rephrase that, I would have a difficult time reconciling my conscience with the fact that I had caused, No again for accuracies sake, been instrumental in causing someone this trauma.

I am not naive to circumstances but suppose that I still hold the belief that justice will prevail, to coin a phrase.

So for all of you out there in radio bullshit land, if you are going to have an accident in LOS then I suppose you had best hope that it will be with me :)

We drive in the States on the 'other' side, like Canada. The first time, I drove the British way was in Khon Kaen. It was easy ... just sort of followed others and tried to blend ... driving all around Isaan is fun. Now, we also want to get a car soon ... reliable, family car. not prestige car. I think I'm ready for Bangkok ... but is Bangkok reday for me? My wife says she will not drive through traffic in the city ... but we're really not far from the tollway. Always had car ... meant freedom ... miss it & want to be able to get out of BKK on weekends, holidays amd just to explore.

Archived