Movies featuring Bangkok and other parts of Thai..

steffi

"Citizen Dog" or "Mah Nakorn" from Wisit Sasanatieng

Just watched this 2004 movie in a french theater and found it pretty good. Poetic and funny. Lots of interesting Bangkok views as well... including amazing scenes from the top of huge mountain of plastic bottles topping BKK's downtown... nice...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best Thai movie I've seen is Monraak Transistor (Transistor Love Story), I'm not much of a movie guy but this one is well done and if you have had some time in Thailand, I think you'll find that it nails down some aspects of Thai life/psyche very well - plus, lots of luktung music, if you like that. A little more untraditional and uneven is a movie called Isan Special, about an overnight bus to Nong Bualamphu. If you live with someone who watches Thai soap operas, you might like this one. Also, if you're a junkie for all things Isan, you might like it. But not for everyone.

Suriyothai... miserable, miserable. Whatever they do to westernize it can only make it better, can't be much worse! the fuss was just that it cost a lot of money, and some very high end connections not to be mentioned here!

YimSiam

Monraack Transistor proved that one can make an interesting film without any need for a coherent plot ... or even one which made the least bit of sense. Fun to watch, though.

I've got Suriothai on DVD. Couldn't get into it and have never got through it all.

Nobody has mentioned Bruce Lee's first flick yet. It was filmed in Thailand in the early '70s and is good for that reason. Shows the upcountry Thailand I saw when I first came here. (The plot has Lee coming to visit some relatives in LOS and ends up taking on the bad guys.)

SWIMMING TO CAMBODIA.

Spaulding Gray.

Mentioned is the Deer Hunter. Take the tour of Bridge on River Quai. There is a hotel up there where the cast and crew stayed while shooting the water/river scenes of the movie Deer Hunter.

Flashernmac,

The lack of plot is kind of what I liked - there's a story, but not a lot of reason for why anything happens. As things unfold (perhaps unravel is a better word) in the movie, you see Thai people let their lives take their own course without really making an effort to take control - just reminded me very much of conversations with Thai friends: when I ask "Why?" to various events, it's a question they just don't seem to have an answer to, or care about, but rather shrug in a mai-pen-rai kind of way. Yes, Buddhist, but also particularly Thai.

Another film for luktung fans is Mon Pleng Luk Tung FM, completely silly comedy but not a bad way to waste a little time some day...

YimSiam

Rambo III: Bangkok stick fighting and building Buddhist temples in the North.

Last life in the Universe: About a suicidal Japanese guy and a hot Thai pot smoking chick.

Taking Dick: About a Thai Uni student who's obsessed with sex. His dick starts talking to him. Nice, hot Uni-honies in this one.

The Tesseract: A movie adaptation of a book by Alex Garland of "The Beach" fame. Not great, the book was better.. and it was set in the Philippines.

"Air America" supposed to be Laos, but shot in Mae Hong Son. You can hear Crazy Mel Gibson speak some horrible Thai in it too LOL! Several famous Thai movie folks in it as well (at least according to Mrs Tiger).

Cheers,

SD

Don?t think I saw anyone mention the 30 year old James Bond flick - ?The Man with the Golden Gun?. Among other things, It includes the dumb longtail chase scene on the klongs, but I always liked the car chase, some of which looks to me like it was filmed around Grand Palace and Wat Pho. If for no other reason I always liked this one as it featured two of the best looking Bond girls ever (Maud & Britt). Also, I seem to recall from somewhere that Roger Moore made an evening visit to Patpong during the filming? wonder if he got laid?

Guess this movie kind of put Phuket and James Bond Island on the tourist map? too bad!!

The car chase was at Democrazy monument, the Kao San Area.

How about the movie partly shot in Samui, something butterfly in the title. Just a few years ago.

Archived