Cost of a modest house in Udon?

Hi everyone!

Can anyone tell me the price range of a typically modest new 3 bedroom house in Udon Thani neighborhood. I'm well aware that the cost could vary according to land and finish.

My gf is building one there and of course asked me for what I consider is a quite modest contribution to hasten the completion. Without getting into the discussion of my sanity for offering the contribution (at least for right now), I just would like to know the general price range of houses there. I should ask her for the real amount, but I'd like some idea first.

Being an apartment dweller all my life and never having had any interest in owning my own house, I'm clueless even about the cost of one in my own neighborhood, except that they are far beyond my means.

Thanks for all the fun I get here.

Ciao!

micsnee

Hi Micsnee,

I know this is not relavent to Udon but I was looking at property in Chiang Mai suburbs in May this year and was quoted 1,325,000 baht for a new single storey, 3 bedroom,two bathroom house including land sized 240 square meters.

The new estate was about 4 miles from the centre of Chiang Mai. My G/F said she could get the same thing built for 500,000 baht about 20 miles from Chiang Mai centre including much more land.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers Hall

Hi hall,

quote:

Originally posted by hall:

My G/F said she could get the same thing built for 500,000 baht about 20 miles from Chiang Mai centre including much more land.

Thanks for the info. I would guess the above would be more indicative of the range my gf would be attempting, although I somehow suspect it would be even lower than that just by amount she has requested (it's really modest, so

sweet of her!!!).

I'm just clueless about the housing market anywhere (thank Buddha for rent control where I live!).

Ciao!

micsnee

Thanks for the replies.

Hi buffalo,

quote:

if building houses for girlfriends is a disease, we seem to have started the epidemic.

Oh well, so we are influential in the Thai economy. But my role in this case is quite minimal -- so far. Perhaps refrigerators, TV's, pickup trucks in the future frown.gif" border="0

------------------------------------

Hi Old Hippie,

Based on 5 to 600,000 bahts (US$12 to 14,250) quoted above, US$40,000 (1.68 million bahts) seem quite extravagant. But then, I don't think even the Unabomber can build his shack in San Francisco area for that amount.

--------------------------------------

To the moderators:

First thanks for your efforts in continuing to make this both entertaining and informative board.

But why was this post moved to the Accommodation forum from the original General Discussion? It's not about hotels in Udon Thani. Perhaps to Legal/Visa/Social Issues or Relationships, I can understand if asking about housing cost in General Discussion is deemed inappropriate.

Or perhaps you considered that this house being built would be my future accommodation in Udon? Or for others that I might not know about? OK, Issan fans, I have a good deal on a guest house in Udon.

Thanks to all.

Ciao!

micsnee

quote:

Originally posted by micsnee:

Hi everyone!

Can anyone tell me the price range of a typically modest new 3 bedroom house in Udon Thani neighborhood. I'm well aware that the cost could vary according to land and finish.

Ciao!

micsnee

You use the word Modest. Do you mean modest in a european sense or in a thai sense?

My mother-in-law built an entire new house for 30.000 bht. That was a couple of years ago and it was in a small village, but still in jangwat Udon.

Only 2 large rooms, 2 light bulbs, no glass in the windows,no running water, squat toilet outside, no furniture etc. you get the picture.

This house is by no means modest in the village more like a little above average. But I guess that something like this isn`t what your GF has in mind. ;-)

Hi Hua Nguu,

Thanks for the info.

30,000 baht!!! Even I could consider owning my own house at that price shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0

But I think the gf has better aspirations than that, it's suppose to have a room each for her parents and son as well as herself.

So would a range of 400,000 to 600,00 be a viable figure for building a new house in Udon Thani (or other Issan cities)? Ummm, I'm not sure of the land, whether it's included or not.

Ciao!

micsnee

Hi

I bought a 2nd hand house, and am moving it and putting a new roof on it, nice new windows, balcony on front being built, pluss transport, plus building veranda to contect it to DarLeks parents house\

Total 200 000 Baht.

A bit expensive, but it will have 3 rooms, nice clean wood, and a bathroom and toilet, farang style.

Mind you this is in a village 100 kms from Udon!!!!

Hi Jimmie Blonde,

Thanks for the info. Quite a chore it seems-- moving and redoing a 2nd hand house.

I'm sure you had estimated this versus building a new one. If so, can you tell me about how much a new one would have cost. I hope I don't come across as being nosy, just trying to get some idea of housing cost out in Issan.

Ciao!

micsnee

Archived