Impression of Samui

whosyourdaddy

Just arrived on Samui yesterday.. With the decrease in flight prices recently it made it a viable option.

The airport is very unusual .. open air, thatched roof. Very interesting. Although only BKK air flies into the place, it is a real security threat!!! Actually no security since there are no walls at all in the place. Could see it as a soft target for a terrorist! But it did feel nicer than the stuffy airports of the outside world.

First impressions.. ...

The fucking thais are rude as hell here. We are staying at chaweng beach. 90% of the tourists are white.. hardly any local thais on vacation here. The airplane was 99% white coming down. This beach feels like a huge patpong roads. harrashing people , grabbing people,have not seen any thais waiing customers. The initial prices are steep and transportation is difficult to haggle with and really does not make for an enjoyable vacation.

Nightlife. Headed out to the reggae club ( hardly any reggae (sp?) in this bar. Big, open air, full of potential but out of the way and a pain to get to. Once you get out there the taxis can charge anything for you go get back!. Was quite empty!

Soi green mango is full of energy. Even at the young age of 30 I feel like an old man there. Mostly 20 year olds, the local thai girls were guite nice and love to dance. Most were on yabaa and having a great time! Most were good to go. :p

Dream girls gogo was quite and housed average looking girls. nothing special . One problem I found was the tables were too far away from the chairs and you had to lean forward to get your beer. Makes it easy to "nurse" a beer but not good for business. No idea of prices there but the black coke was expensive(125) but in a larger glass than BKK. Did not see anyone upstairs and the 30 something girls were all downstairs looking depressed! Hopefully better tonight as it is time for my friend to get laid. (not MY little friend)

They seemed to have dug up the ocean to make a sand bar at chaweng beach. Not very eye appealing to see the mounds of sands jetting out of the sea. I am sure they wanted to make deeper bodies of water closer to the beach but it does run the view!!!!!!!!!!

Accomadations are good-as suggest by NP members we are staying at "the island" paying 900B a night. It is about 3-400 m from the night life and good location- but it would be better if we were a bit more south as we are at the top end of chaweng beach. But a very clean room, cable tv ( from malaysia for some reason) fridge, hot water, good bed, excellent aircon (best I have felt)-- it is good value. Cheers for that boys. The place on the outside is a bit

drab and could use some colorful plants other than brown sand etc. But I dont care when I am asleep- everything is drab and dark then

Internet services are good ADSL - 1B / Min... faster than my cable modem in BKK.

But if you get rid of all the rude thais the place would be good, enough infrastruction - western westerns, even sell VB beer- Australias best export after Rachel Hunter( i am sure stickman will say she is KIWI) , ok beach ( not the best) cheap beer, nice looking thais in general ( even say a thai going topless on the beach with a g- string. Nice body!!!!) The western women on the beach are vey nice to look at.. mostly young and fit.

It might just be the weather but I am very very disappointed with the place- mainly because of the local service and how they want to rip everyone off. There is no appreciation that the foreign tourists are keeping this place alive!!!!!! They just try to exploit and piss off the farangs instead of welcoming them in traditional thai style. Even as I am writting this the service staff are yelling to each other about how the farangs dont speak thai and they are put out to speak English. All the customers are looking at them wondering what the are bitching about.. Little do they know that some of us understand!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might just be the weather but I am very very disappointed with the place- mainly because of the local service and how they want to rip everyone off. There is no appreciation that the foreign tourists are keeping this place alive!!!!!!

---------------------------------------

Greed is good!

Chawang is experiencing the "benefits" of commercialization.

Try Bophut on a Sunday arvo. Relaxed and friendly. They have a few jam sessions that the local expats get into.

(disclaimer: info is a few years old which is a long time in Thailand)

if you are so negative about Chaweng, then i guess you have never been in Patong, Phuket.

the Island is nice if they had beachchairs. have you noticed, that backpackers walking into the resort pay 500 baht or even less.

I have made several trips to Samui over the past 5 years and LOVE the place! :grinyes:

Having said that I know my way around and have no problems with the locals or the night life. :grinyes:

However, if your a single guy (or two) on sanuk, Samui is not the best place to be :doah::rolleyes::sleeping:

The Island is better suited to take a lady to and relax :angel:

If it's beach & night life you want head to Patong in Phuket

:drunk: :hubba: :grinyes:, but watch out as the locals there working the streets are ruthless :eek:

Hope things turn for the better soon :grinyes:

Samak, of course, this has to do with the specific location of the rooms that the backpackers are taking.

The is another resort named Samui Island Resort. Is it possible you're confusing the two?

Says samak:

if you are so negative about Chaweng, then i guess you have never been in Patong, Phuket.

the Island is nice if they had beachchairs. have you noticed, that backpackers walking into the resort pay 500 baht or even less.

What are those things (approx 200) with four legs and umbrellas opp the Patong Merlin ??? :neener:

Says valentinoxxx:

The is another resort named Samui Island Resort. Is it possible you're confusing the two?

NO, i am not; THE Islander; no decent beach chairs (just plastic crap) and walkin Backpackers for <500 baht

however the bungalows are nice and the beachfront restaurant as well (good service; a couple of kind girls and guys from southern thailand; in opposite to WYD's description they are very polite and friendly).

Archived