Impression of Samui

whosyourdaddy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys, but Rachel is one kiwi we have never tried to claim s one of our own. Its only the talented ones we let into Oz, ie Russ Crowe, Crowded House, Marc Hunter.

Cheers

Jaga

From today's Bangkok Post

TAT and Bangkok Airways to turn Samui into `Rio of the East'

B15m carnival to be held from July 18-20

Nondhanada Intarakomalyasut

Tourism authorities and Bangkok Airways hope the Samui Carnival 2003 will help promote the southern resort island as a new hotspot on the international festival scene.

The carnival, scheduled from July 18-20, is claimed as the first in Asia, with organisers hoping the event will help transform Ko Samui into the ``Rio of the East''.

The three-day event is expected to cost the two main organisers more than 15 million baht to stage.

It will feature water and street parades as well as food, fun and dance fairs with music from the 1970s, and '80s, rock 'n' roll, reggae and hip hop.

The theme of the carnival will be based on the world-renowned Brazilian carnival with a touch of the Thai tropics, according to M.L. Nandhika Varavan, senior director of Bangkok Airways' corporate communications.

The president of the privately held airline, Prasert Prasart-thongosoth, said that about 15-20 million baht would be spent to hold and promote the event in Europe, the US and Asia.

He said it was difficult to estimate the number of expected participants as it was the first year but he hoped the event would make it onto the international annual agenda.

The event is expected to help attract tourists to the island during the low season _ the summer season for western tourists.

``With more interesting activities on the island, we could attract western tourists who normally visit Spain and Portugal during their summertime to Ko Samui,'' Dr Prasert, adding he hoped to reduce the length of the low season to only two months _ October and November when it is the rainy season.

The airline is inviting the public to take part in the carnival, offering a 300,000-baht reward for the best decorated carnival float.

Dr Prasert also aims to initiate other activities such as beach soccer in the not-too-distant future.

Dr Prasert said that while fears of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome may have hurt the travel and tourism industry in the region, he expected the carnival would at least promote the island and Thailand among international tourists and eventually prove a hit.

``It may take two or three years before the event becomes well-known worldwide,'' he said.

Bangkok Airways has reported a 10% decline in passengers in April and Dr Prasert expects the same drop in May amid the current tourism slump.

But you should make clear that you speak of the bungalows closer to the road. You make it sound like there are special rates for backpackers.

Backpacker, nor anyone else will get any of the front rows of bungalows for 500 baht.

Using your criteria, it is in fact possible to walk into a fair amount of resorts on Chaweng and get a bungalow for 500 baht.

But it is not a valid comment to make when someone asks about a beachfront bungalow. :rolleyes:;)

Hi Wyd

You should have consulted Limbo as he's our man in Samui and lives just around the bay from Chewagi.

I know that the girls in the gogo's will only do short time in house for 1500bht but according to Limbo you can find groups of them on the beach during the day and can arrange something out of hours so to speak :hubba:

Village idot and myself did very well with the beerbar girls though but they do not jump on you as they do in Pattaya and will only go with you if they like you.The going rate is a 1000.

as i said and to calm down the Beachfrontbungalowexpert ValentinoTripleX, the Bungalow was very nice and comfortable, the restaurant was good with very friendly service (i could improve a bit my knowledge about Laeng Tai (southern thai dialect) and one guy spoke pretty good Mandarin); i just missed decent beach chairs. i can not exactly remember, but it was a bit over thousand baht for the Beachfrontbungalow and it was during High Season

They seemed to have dug up the ocean to make a sand bar at chaweng beach

They must have done that in the last couple of weeks as it wasnt there when I was.

Try to get in touch with Limbo, nice man.

I was in Chaweng as well. Try the Smile Bar 2 ( Snatch ) there is a girl in there I would really recommend. a 3 holer, I called her ting tong daeng cause of her died hair. grins with her bottom teeth which I found strangely cute - usually I wouldnt but it suited her for some reason.

Watch out for the songthaew guys, rip off merchants extraordinaire.

>>>"Watch out for the songthaew guys, rip off merchants extraordinaire."<<<

Yes, the taxi a$$holes.

Last year I was here with my Thai wife. What we found was: locals 10 Baht within Chaweng, Thais accompanied by farangs 20 Baht, farangs alone 50 (yes - saw this a few times) Baht.

Once we were asked 50 Baht for a short ride. My wife gave them the Thai fare 20 Baht. Fair. The taxi guy yelling at her in Thai, wife is yelling back. Then the taxi guy in loud and clear English: You want to die now??!!

Wife: Yes!! and off we walked. Belive me I was watching our back.

The problem already starts with the Bangkok Airways prices. The highest prices by far in LOS. Plus domestic airport tax 400 Baht (normally 30 Baht).

Now, with the ferries having sorted out their problems there is an alternative flying Thai Air to Surat Thani.

Over the last 4 - 5 years I've been watching Chaweng getting hyper-commercialized. And it is now the most expensive place I know in Thailand. Don't like to go there anymore. It's not just the money, it is what you get in return. No value and bad attitudes. ::

This is the trend. There are exeptions.

Archived