Impression of Samui

whosyourdaddy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says jacko:

Please explain the

[color:"red"] Plus domestic airport tax 400 Baht (normally 30 Baht).

[/color]

Are you saying you pay 30 baht to leave Bangkok to fly to Samui, then 400 in Samui on the return?

Hi,

leaving Samui on BKK airways they charge 400Baht, leaving Don Muan/BKK for Samui they charge nothing.

Reason is that BKK airways has the exclusive rights, so they can charge pretty much everything they want.

If you are a resident of Samui, you can apply for a special card which costs around a 1000baht and then you don't have to pay the airport tax. Only helpfull if you fly regularly.

Flying to Surat Thani with Thai airways is very time consuming, oyu fly into Surat and than an hour's busride to the ferry and than the 2 hour ferry and then getting to your destination on Samui........

It may be easier to depart from Pattaya, for the same price as you would fly to Surat approx.

Hi Maddoc,

agree on the taxi's in Samui, it's not regulated very well.

There's magazine, Samui Welcome which had all rates listed, but I think that magazine went out of bizz very recently.

The daytime songtheaws aren't as bad as the night time ones though, after 18.00/6pm everything is possible price wise whilst during the day there is at least some kind of consistency. Of course there's always the odd cab driver who wants to squeeze the most out of every situation.

I can't remember whether I paid 10 or 20 baht within Chaweng.

To show the other side of the coin, I got on a Songthaew at the airport going to Chaweng. He pulled in at the Songthaew station in N. Chaweng, waived the fare and pointed me towards the next Songthaew going out. I think I paid no more than 20 baht.

I'm sure most of the problems occur in the evening, when fares are unregulated.

"They do not jump on you as they do in Pattaya and will only go with you if they like you.The going rate is a 1000."

I have never taken girls from Chaweng, but in Lamai the best looking girls tend to be very picky. I assume that's because punters are very different than in Pattaya. There are a lot of fit guys in their twenties and thirties that go for almost free with these girls and some of the older guys get the left overs. I just got back home today from Thailand and I have to say many of my friends got freebies in Samui from massage parlours and discos. For us the "up to you"-rate in beer bars was about 700 baht/night plus barfine and never got unhappy faces in the morning.

Archived