New Laptops

ultras67

a multi level post this one.

I am looking around for a new lap top and went to Pantip on Tuesday night. On the doors there are now these wonderful stickers saying "this store does not support piracy ...... "in english and thai.

In the big store on the 2nd floor they are selling laptops without an OS. I ask a salesman ( pretty senior I think as he wasnt a young guy ) and he says I recommend you go round the corner ( in Pantip ) and buy it for 900B. If you want the original it will be 5000B.

Yes this crackdown is really working !!

OK so questions.

I would be extremely wary about buying the OS on a pirate version. Add ons ok, but the actual base of the pc, not happy about that. any one done it and found any problems ?

Anyone know of a really good deal out there just now?Basically looking at about a 40,000B range. Only must have is a DVD combo drive and floppy, everything else is negotiable.

cheers

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" Anyone know of a really good deal out there just now?Basically looking at about a 40,000B range. Only must have is a DVD combo drive and floppy, everything else is negotiable"

When Iwas there two months ago i bought a Compaq Pressario model number 2113AP. The cost was 49500 Baht including 7% VAT. I got my vat refund at the airport. It has got a combo drive. All the software is original. I got mine at Global Communications. Worth a look.

The store probably got caught selling PCs with pirated MS pre-installed. MS sends people to stores to buy PCs and once they have determined that the store is going to bundle pirated software the store gets a letter from MS's lawyers, thats the way they do it down here at least. I have seen a few stores that post their letters like a badge of honor. One which is directly across from and also next to a store that sells almost any software you might desire at $1.75 a disk.

If you buy a branded laptop you are already paying for an OS licens so I wouldn't worry about it to much. Laptops can be expensive to fix so you should think twice about buying it from a shop in Thailand if you don't spend most of your time there. Prices are probably going to be better in Hong Kong or Singapore, where you can buy them with a price guarantee at the airport.

Brink was having some problems with Compaqs so you might want to read one of those threads (I think there are three) before you settle on one of those.

You can probably get what you want for USD1000 but think about paying USD1500 if it means a three year instead of a one year warranty, or if it means an international warranty instead of an Asia Pacific warranty.

Closer to the 40kB mark would be ATEC Vegus 889 Mobile AthlonXP1400+/512MB RAM/20GB/COMBO/56K/LAN/IEEE/14.1TFT @39900B

Question from me: Anyone used the Athlon chips in anotebook and compare to Intel? They are cheaper but any draw backs?

Cheers

Yes, the software should be genuine if you buy a brand name laptop (Compaqs usually give you this crappy 'system restore' CD and not the actual OS).

Using pirate stuff on there will work also though.

As mentioned try Atec (big Yellow shop at the back, 2nd floor I think). Very good value for money spec wise. Acer also have some good deals on at the moment (from 35,000B - check BKK Post). Make sure you get 256MB RAM also. The Fujitsu's and IBM tend to start in th 70k range.

I have used laptops with AMDs in them and found them generally pretty good, usually about 10k cheaper than the equivalent Intel.

Yes, I can also recommend Global Communications. Bought my Fujitsu Lifebook from them a couple of years ago. All installed software was licensed and they have their own Service Center on the 3rd floor.

When I poured one mug of beer over the keyboard and the darn thing just died, they fixed it in two days (still under guarantee then).

I bought a notebook april last year with an AMD Athlon 1200XP processor, 512 MB Ram, shared video memory, combodrive and 30 GB harddisk.

I use it to make my own cd's and vcd's, my broadband internet connection and almost any software you can think of.

One of the things I do not do is video editing (don't have a video cam) and serious gaming (some games freeze up under XP). I read there is a patch to fix the latest bug, but don't know if it works.

All in all it's the best computer I 've had and I am stil extremely happy with it. As long as you're not into the latest games and video editing, I think it represents great value for money.

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived