New Laptops

ultras67

I have a Sony laptop that's just over 1 1/2 years old. Overall very pleased with it, but it is the only laptop I've owned. Has 15" display. One thing to consider is the OS. Mine came with WinXP Home, could have gotten it with Pro, wish I had as XP Pro has more features, file encryption for example. I did end up installing Pro on a different partition but some of the keyboard functions (volume, display brightness etc) wouldn't work and from the Sony support site found out that drivers and software are not supported if operating system is on a partition other than C: partition. In the end I upgraded Home to Pro on the C: partition and it works fine. I haven't tried to format C: and do a clean install of XP Pro yet but plan to latter and see if all the drivers work properly. Like other computers the operating system and pre-installed software comes on several CDs, three in my case but also has extra CDs with drivers and application recovery.

I saw the ones in the Sony shop at Pantip with the 16" display, looked nice. At this point I can honestly say I'd buy another Sony.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you remember the price and model number of the SONY ?

I'm also thinking about buying one. Just skipped the idea to buy a Acer Travelmate 803 in favour of a SONY GRV-616G.

PCG-FX series. Sold for about 1800USD. 15 inch display, DVD CD/RW combo drive P3 1GHz, 20GB (upgraded to 40GB). That was more than a year and a half ago. For the same price today you'd get quite a bit more laptop. If you plan on using XP consider buying one with WinXP Pro already installed.

I am very happy with my laptop, good display, good speed and the keyboard which is uncluttered with extra media controls feels good to to me. I don't play computer games so I don't know how well they would run. I know this is an important consideration for some.

I haven't checked the specs on the one you're interested in, does it have the 16 inch display?

The GRV616G costs 1700 Euro. It is a 2600 PIV, 256 Ram, 40 GB disc, CD-RW, 16" 1280x1024 Display.

It's quite expensive compared to other. The FX with DVD+-RW and 512/60/15" is 1500 Euro - but the display is only 1024x768 and i really need a 1280x1024.

I'm also a pure programmer - this means no games, but i need a good keyboard and a perfect display. I get both with the GRV616G, the only negative is that the SONY service is completely overpriced and very bad. But i hope the notebook is so good that i don't need any service.

Says llothar:

The GRV616G costs 1700 Euro. It is a 2600 PIV, 256 Ram, 40 GB disc, CD-RW, 16" 1280x1024 Display.

It's quite expensive compared to other. The FX with DVD+-RW and 512/60/15" is 1500 Euro - but the display is only 1024x768 and i really need a 1280x1024.

I'm also a pure programmer - this means no games, but i need a good keyboard and a perfect display. I get both with the GRV616G, the only negative is that the SONY service is completely overpriced and very bad. But i hope the notebook is so good that i don't need any service.

llothar,

I would like the model PCG-GRV616S better, price is Euro 2075, but what are the exact differences ???

I only use the laptop from morning to evening, a BIG screen is needed, constantly on the net, 10K+ folders and files for my business, no games......

Cheers !

Says BelgianBoy:

I would like the model PCG-GRV616S better, price is Euro 2075, but what are the exact differences ???

Where can i get it for 2075 Euro ?

In Germany the cheapest price is 2448 Euro. This is a lot

for a DVD+/-RW , additional 256 MB RAM, additional 20 GB disk space. The PCG-GRV616SP has a better display 1600x1200 pixel but it costs > 3000 Euro. To much for me.

Archived