New Laptops

ultras67

I had the same concerns about screen quality when buying in the autumn and eventually went for a Dell with an ultrasharp 15.1" screen (the only other good screen option around at the time was a Sony but it was a little more expensive). Dell now does an Inspiron 8500 with a 15.4" Ultrasharp screen - check out www.dell.com (A tip here: you get different offers/special discounts depending on which way you go in and I've found that choosing the 'Small Business' route usually gets you a better deal than 'Home User'!)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats about the brand new Acer 17" notebook?

It's made completely out of desktop components, so you should look at it more as a desktop replacement then a notebook (7,4 Kg is also a little bit heavy).

Costs 1600 Euro in Germany. 2,66 P4, 512 MB, 80 GB, 17"

Hi,

Looks good that 17" screen, but......... 7.1 kg is a mess :) then again, how many times dor you move it around ?

Also I wonder with a height of 47-55 mm, how easy it is to type and not getting tired after a while......

No price mentionned in Belgium.

Cheers !

Says BelgianBoy:

Hi,

Looks good that 17" screen, but......... 7.1 kg is a mess
:)
then again, how many times dor you move it around ?

Also I wonder with a height of 47-55 mm, how easy it is to type and not getting tired after a while......

Cheers !

Yes 7.1 kg is really a lot but remember that it is a desktop replacement not a laptop. It seems to use a normal 17" LCD display and normal (large) DDR-RAM modules and a 3,5" drive. You can simply change your current 7200RPM PC disk with the one in the Acer notebook. At the moment this is the only choice if you need a really large, high performance system - like me.

The price in belgium should be the same.

Hi,

Still shopping, found a guy who can order the Sony in belgium, almso found a shop in Holland for free deliveries :)

The 616 series from Sony looks rather pretty and at 3.4 kg and 16" screen has the same performance as Acer.

I might go with them :)

Cheers !

BB said: "I'm looking to buy one as well, but hesitating as would really like a thai keyboard......"

If you don't plan on typing in Thai often or won't need to type Thai while on the go (away from home, office) you could consider a Thai USB keyboard or two. Sounds like you're leaning more toward a semi-desktop replacement laptop anyways, one that you don't plan on toting around with you.

Hi,

Nope, on the contrary..... I plan about 4 months in Belgium and balance in BKK, with 5-6 trips in between them and a laptop will be my lifeline for my business.......

I really dont know anymore what / where / what :( :(

Also buying one in Belgium will get me an AZERTY keyboard, LOS is running with an QUERTY keyboard.....

Then again Sony - which looks like the top to me - is not available for sales in Belgium, but could be specially ordered.

How about Holland, what is the keyboard there anyway, because it IS easier to have the same for the GF :)

Cheers !

Belgian Boy said

..... I plan about 4 months in Belgium and balance in BKK, with 5-6 trips in between them and a laptop will be my lifeline for my business.......

I don't how much of a consideration it is for you but.............I was told that there are no Sony authorized servicing reps in Thailand. Don't know if you have to send to Japan or wherever also don't know how long it would take or if a loaner is available while you wait, etc. Might be something to think about if it is the lifeline for your business.

Gene,

Good point here....... I went to the official Sony shop in Pantip, so I was under the impression that all would be done in BKK without sending it back to Japan :(

On the other hand, internet can be accessed anywhere from anywhere, no need to have "my" laptop then, easy to access my mailserver.......

Its all the files and folders, then again, can save all weekly on CD's.

Oh boy, I need to think more about possible consequenses and find out what I need here and there and how to overcome all possible obstacles.......

I need hints and tips guys !

Cheers !

Archived