Gogo Bar Drink Prices

Sarisin

Sarasin and fellow drinkers.

I have been alchol free for about 3 weeks, basically as I felt I had been overdoing it in the past couple of months and I have to say its been an eye opener for me drinking nam soda's whenever I go out. I agree that the price for non alocholic drinks is outrageous however it becomes even more of a pain when your drinking in happy hour !!! My mate was throwing back the spirits at 50B a shot and I was drinking fizzy water at 95B ::

End result, is that I have voted with my little feet and have been going out less of an evening and when I do, its mainly to eat. My spending in the bars has fallen from probably 10,000B week to about 1,000 B.

Up to the bar owners what they charge - but it does not take a bright spark to create a niche opportnity however I often think that the bar owners in nana and SC are pretty devoid of ideas of how to better market their business, particularly in a downturn. have to say I am very impressed by the guy at Electric Blue who opended with cheap 35b beer chang. Place has been been busy since day 1 and already considered in the top rankings in Pattaya. Its a double edge sword. The punters want to see pretty girls and the girls want to go where they see lots of punters. if u cant get that simple equation together, no recipe for success.

Cheers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says gwailo:

The drink prices may be slightly high by Thai standards but compared with here in the US they are not unreasonable.

At B100 for a bottle of beer that would be about $2.50, a price you could expect to pay at an average bar or restaurant here and without the entertainment.

I've been to strip clubs here that charge $5.75 for a beer and that's on top of a cover charge of $7.00. Also bars will charge higher drink prices when there is live music and usually have a cover charge of $2-$5.

So considering that I've never been to a go-go in Thailand that charged me a cover charge, the drinks cost about the same as an avg bar at home, and the entertainment is better than I could hope for at any strip club at home, I consider it a good value.

Helloooooooo, anybody hooooooooooooome. The majority of the people on this forum live in Thailand, so any comparison with prices in the U.S or elsewhere is irrelevant!

Come over to Pattaya!

I don't know about soft drink prices, but many bars are charging 55 baht for a draft beer, at Peppermint it's 45 baht, and at Champion it's 35 baht during happy hours (until 1:30!) and 40 baht outside happy hours.

Nekkid women and cheap beer really packs 'em in, all the above bars are doing well even in this really low low season!

Sarisin,

To dilute my Alcohol I usually drink a lot of water in the GG

Bars. On the average I pay 50 Bht when served a 500 ml.

bottle. A lot of times they serve it in a glass free of charge.

An interesting anecdote: occasionally I order Red Bull. The

cost ? 30 Bht. Go figure their pricing.

Hi there Chanchao,

This is a stupid Question, i know :) but what is the wrough price of a Heineken in the bars nowaday.

I remember 4 years ago when i was in Bangkok, that most off the bars there do there own little happy hours at different times.

You could get a bottle of Singha for 60 Baht or so, then when the happy hour was over, you just get up and move onto the next pub in line that was just starting there own happy hour.

Do things like this still happen, or has all of this gone out of the window now.

Cheers Roman

Getting back to the original post.

It seems to be the same the world over, that for some reason the % mark up on soft drinks - water , coke, 7 up etc is far higher than for beer, spirits. :onfire:

I really do object paying almost as much for a coke or water as for a beer. But yes, I do still want to go and see the entertainment so end up paying it anyway. :dunno:

If I do have the beer and they are all the same price, I make sure I get the carslberg / heineken.

I could never work out why the Uk government was promoting like mad the dont drink and drive policy but then letting bars charge the equivalent of 4 or 5 pounds per pint when beer was only 2. madness. :banghead:

On another point, am a bit surprised to see some of the invective replies to the post. Is it that controversial?

The prices suck and are a large part of why I stick to places like Cat House and Hog's Breath. What gripes me, too, is that many gogos raised their prices periodically due to the lesbian shows, etc. Well, the shows are gone! For the most part, anyway. The prices never came back down when the justification for raising them disappeared.

Says ultras67:

Getting back to the original post.

On another point, am a bit surprised to see some of the invective replies to the post. Is it that controversial?

You made some excellent comments ultra. :)

As to your last, well, in any thread you got guys who:

(a) Respond to the post with on-topic comments

(B) Wander off on their own and head in a different direction

© Try to find humor in everything - you know, the Jay Leno types. :)

(d) And, then, there are guys that seem to take things far too serious and let you have it in their own little way. I always feel a little sorry for them.

I'm sure there are other types of guys too, but I suppose this is what makes this board interesting. :)

I didn't think this would be a controversial topic, but I do see your point when going back and looking at some of the responses.

I don't go to the bars that much anymore (1-2 times a month). I would say the high drink prices are only a small part of the reason for not going more. Like you, I pay the high price for the club soda or whatever. I just don't buy many - only one per bar visit, actually, while before I used to buy plenty of beers during my bar crawls.

My wallet might be complaining a little, but my liver is thanking me very gratefully. ::

Archived