Gogo Bar Drink Prices

Sarisin

What do you guys think of the drink prices in Bangkok (or Pattaya for that matter) gogo bars?

The reason I bring this up is that the new, improved Sarisin has cut down drastically on his consumption of alcoholic beverages. Yes, I can hear the duet of violins accompanied by sobbing bar owners. :)

The other night I ordered club soda in a NEP gogo bar. I got a medium-sized glass with ice and perhaps 4 oz. of club soda.

The price: 95 baht.

I buy plenty of club soda at TOPS. I can get a small bottle (6 oz), either Chang or Singha, for about 5 baht.

What would the percentage of profit be on that (I bet the bars buy the nam soda even cheaper than I do at TOPS)?

(sound of members scurrying for their calculators)

Yes, I know, I know. I am also paying for entertainment in a gogo bar, and the bar has so very many expenses to cover. We all do want our friendly bar owner to turn a profit so he stays in business and gives us a place to play.

I worked in the bar business back in NJ several centuries ago and knew what OUR profit margins were, and these seem much, much higher. No, I did not work in a gogo bar.

I know many of you party in countries where drink prices are much higher and you consider drink prices in the LOS a great bargain.

I ain't no cheapskate and I ain't whining, but it just seems to me the drink prices here might be a tad bit over-inflated.

What do you think?

PS. I'm not referring to the 2 oz. cola ladydrinks, but I guess you could say that is not especially good value for the money either. :D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sarisin,

95 baht for a club soda is probably over the top for LOS but I can't see them bringing the price down for you unless you can get all the folk in the bar to stop drinking!

:beer:

It is certainly cheaper than in the UK and the rest of Europe.

Thaipan

95 baht, that's 15 baht under the beer price of 110!!!

you assume that they get the soda for around 5 baht and i am sure that they get the bottle beer for under 20 baht, so they make in absolute figures more profit on my beer than on your bloody soda. :neener:

of course not percentwise, but you think any of the bar owners has a degree in maths?

Says Palatkik:

>What do you think?

Who cares? If you want value for money drinks buy them at TOPS or Lotus. If you want fit looking Asian girls ready to
on demand then go to the bars.

Cheers,

Thank you for your pleasant suggestion Palatkik, but I really have not had a problem finding Asian women in TOPS who fit your description, and the club soda is much cheaper. :)

Another reason why the bar scene is losing me as a customer. You can have your club soda and drink it too. :p

Hi,

I agree that the prices for sodas are ridiculous, and what pisses me off even more is that many of the waitresses do not bother coming back with the change after you pay (with a 100 Baht note).

I know it is only 5 Baht and I would not take it anyway, but *I* will make that decision thank you very much.

Sanuk!

PS Sodas in karaoke bars are often as much as 200 Baht!

Yeah, it's a tricky one, enjoying bars and clubs but not wanting to pay their ludicrous bar prices :(. I remember when we were penniless students we'd always drink a few litre bottles of cheap strong supermarket cider or beer directly before we headed out for the night so we'd be completely plastered :drunk: by the time we got to the pub/nightclub/disco and wouldn't need much more to drink, thus we avoided paying expensive bar prices ;). This crafty manoevre also left us with more non-drinking freetime in the pub to spend fruitfully spewing up in the bogs :o, falling asleep in our seats :sleeping:, or unsuccessfully chatting up pig-ugly birds. :doah:

You could always do the same with the Club Soda waters i. e. get a few stiff supermarket ones down you before you hit the bars, just to get your "motor running" so to speak. :)

jack :up:

Archived