Gogo Bar Drink Prices

Sarisin

Compared to the prices in Tombouctoo, North Africa they are actually quite expensive. And the Mali gentleman said that he did not consider it very good value at all. I shall ask my friend from East Timor tomorrow to see how he finds the prices. ::

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

love yourposts. hate to see your road show of plastic terds etc .,up to to payif you want pay for soft drinks ,you know the prices for soft drinks 25 bht difference between pong ,cowboy and nep.has your liver disorder?rest made you a sad person,the same as you come across in the pay per view site

I don't think its right to compare Bangkok drink prices to one's "home" country, as different countries tax alcohol very differently, nevermind the disparity between income in the developed / developing world.

On the other hand, the prices have gone up dramatically over the years and drinking in Bangkok cannot be considered cheap. Think about this: have you ever paid 10% of your night's 5* hotel bill on just one small beer ? (in the 5* hotel of course).

As a comparison, I lived in Mallorca for a while and have known the island for 15 years and that used to be cheap, especially for drinking. Then they fucked it up by raising prices to the point where some places were actually dearer than in the UK and guess what........the punters didn't come or when they did, they didn't spend as much. Now I know the Thai mentality whereby the remaining punters have to stump up the required profit through ever increasing prices but if they aren't careful, people will migrate to others areas.

Just look at the price of a LARGE Singha in relatively busy Ao Nang, Krabi - BT60 !!! with a Mekong set maybe BT150 and they have started up a mini Nana / Soi Cowboy clone as well.

All I know is that prices will not fall back, if at all, to the pre war / SARS days and in the end a time will come when people say enough is enough.

A contrary argument I just thought of though is that the total cost of an evening's refreshment and entertainment would be similar due to the supply of companions exceeding demand. Pure economics !

regards

Torrenova

Says jacko:

Compared to the prices in Tombouctoo, North Africa they are actually quite expensive. And the Mali gentleman said that he did not consider it very good value at all. I shall ask my friend from East Timor tomorrow to see how he finds the prices. ::

Please let me know what he thinks. I always welcome his opinion.

Hi,

"The drink prices may be slightly high by Thai standards but compared with here in the US they are not unreasonable."

I wonder when people will realize that this kind of comparison is utterly irrelevant.

I do not live in the US, have never been to the US, so why should I care whether or not 95 Baht for a coke in the US is okay. It is expensive here in Thailand, where I live and where I make my money. If the price on the US would drop by 75%, or go up by 300% it would have zero influence on the price here.

Sanuk!

Says june11:

Just curious about "fiery jack": What's the deal with your fixation on chatting up and sleeping with disgusting and ugly women? Most of your posts express your great fondness of this.

My name is Fiery Jack, and I can't say as I am ashamed of it, sir. But, sir, you wrong me: I am neither rogue nor swiveller. The cool and laconic style I adopt may weaken the clarity of my posts, but you, sir, you are misreading them woefully :nono:. My fondness, like that of most of the other fine gentlemen parishioners of this worthy electric organ of transglobal communication, is for fine wines and beautiful creatures of that blessed race known rightly as the 'fairer' sex. I am, in short, a bon viveur. :drunk:

But, nay, I cannot dupe or lie to myself. That cruellest of taskmasters, the tomb-cold light of day, has transported to my quarters far too often a mocking lamp to illumine the truth last night's fevered revels had sought so deviously to hide. Ho! :o What's this! I find that the fine wines I yesterday supped like Dionysius upon have become 24 empty Heineken bottles and an empty mini-bar. And, pray :o, what's this! That angelic beergarden beauty I strove long and determinedly Casanova-like to seduce is horribly translated, in the dawn's honest glow, into a vision of deformity and ugliness fit to make Satan himself relinquish his throne in the face of her more potent, hideous claims. :doah:

If there be a heavenly metaphysics in the soul of man, it is not often, and comes too late: yet it be there, yet it be there. I began to hate myself, sir, and rejoined ranks with the real world at last. My dallying days are long over, never to plague my weary sinner's breast again. For I have been both celibate and sober for many years now, in a steely attempt to render the house of my poor heart reinhabitable. Perhaps I may be prone somewhat to demonising that wonderland, that hinterland, the past? I do not know, for I only have my memories, and they are only mine. :angel:

jack :help:

p. s. Oh, and I'm a liar, and I like irony and a bit of fun. :clown:

Sarisin,

I myself "somtimes" decide I am drinking too heavily or God forbid on medication and can't drink at all. Like you, I used to go for the soda water and was often mystified at the need to gouge, although sometimes I have been charged only 50 baht.

My solution, drink juice. It costs them the most, and it is usually the same price as sodas.

Hey, you all know the rulez of the free market.

Everybody is allowed to ask as much as he likes.

And everybody is free enough to decide if he wants to buy it or not.

Of course it's obvious they don't want all their guests just drinking soda all night. Alcohol is good for the business, so please drink it... :-)

However I'm always happy with prices in Thailand, as a beer in a gogo-bar usually costs CHF 20 here in Switzerland...

You could try this trick...

A gogo I frequent reasonably regularly sells Thai whisky, (Sang Som), for 750 baht per bottle, including mixers. If I don't finish the bottle, they mark it, and out it comes again next time I am there. When I go back the next time and ask for my bottle, they automatically bring ice and soda/Pepsi and there's no check bin, as I paid for it all last time I was there when I ordered the bottle. At 95 baht per soft drink, buying the bottle of grog equates to just under 8 sodas, so you can do this and its much better value. If you feel like having a drink you can put the Thai whiskey in your soda whenever you want to, and its quite drinkable. You just need to be careful you don't keep the same whiskey bottle there for about 6 visits as then they will probably wake up to what you're doing!!! I usually have 1 whiskey and soda, and then one or two soda or Pepsi only's... it spins it out nicely and I get a little more tipsy as time goes by without getting totally spastic. I have had the same bottle in this bar for the last three visits and will probably get one more visit from this particular bottle. That works out to be 190 baht or so per visit, which I think is good value! Fly P.

Archived