Ong Bak Release date (DVD)

Fidel

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you suggesting that Thais are reluctant to rip off other Thais? If you are, I know a BUNCH of Thai people who would strongly beg to differ!

Hi,

The goverment certainly seems to be much more strict on bootlegged Thai videos/cds. I seem to recall that when Suriyothai was released the government made a special statement that they would crackdown hard on those selling illegal copies of the movie. Nothing was ever said about foreign movies.

Draw your own conclusions.

Sanuk!

PS How often do you see illegal copies of Thai movies / cds?

ALL THE TIME! Just not in "farang" places like Patpong and Sukhumvit. The counterfeit trade is killing Grammy and RS, and they are spending tons of money on enforcement efforts (trust me, this is something I know about).

I thought grammy sales/profits were up? I have been in lots of slanging matches on other boards discussing the negative affects of copies and the illegality of exchanging MP3's over the net. You would be amazed how many people believe that it is not doing the recording companies any harm, some even get angry when the legal aspect of copyright law is pointed out-peter

• 3 weeks later...

I've been waiting for this to come on out DVD out since its cinema release, but have had no luck.

I was told 2 weeks ago that Steven Segal bought the rights to the film to distribute it abroad (and market the potential of the Ong Bak star). The down side being that this will mean a long delay in its official release here in Thailand until after Segal has finished with his international distribution of it.

However, I was told this by my maid who has been tring to buy it for me for ages, so it is only dalaat speak. Would be interested to hear if anyone has heard anything similar.

Archived