Ong Bak Release date (DVD)

Fidel

Just found a good online source for Thai movie and music CD's:

http://www.ethaicd.com/

They are taking advance orders for "Ong Bak", which (according to them) will be released on June 26 (I had previously been told by a clerk at Mangpong that the date was June 27).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Ong Bak was indeed released today.

I picked up a copy at Tsutaya (video rental/sale store). However only available on VCD and VHS and in Thai only. It's also clearly printed on the back cover: "For Thailand Only. Not For Export"

I asked about a DVD version but to no avail. Moreover can't find out any info whatsoever about Ong Bak on the distributors web site: http://www.mangpong.co.th/

personally i was not very impressed by ong bak. i mean, the abilities of the main actor are unbelievable, but everything else - plot, acting, dialog, camera was poor. still, i think that qualitywise none of the newer crop of thai movies comes close to nang naak.

look at jiang yi mo's (can't remember the correct spelling) "hero", now that was a fiest for the eyes! that i think set a completely new standard for easterns, absolutely fucking brilliant! my only criticism: way too short.

i have met him once in beijing and i was very impressed - an extremely nice guy. no stupid airs - we had lunch at a simple streetstall, once a while someone asked politely for an autograph which he gave straight away. unfortunately he does not speak english so most of the conversation i did not understand.

he is one of my favourite directors and i was very happy that he also was personally down to earth not like so many others who became famous.

I would hope if it was released on dvd for the western market on dvd that it would have the thai soundtrack even if it has been dubbed into english as well.

Personally I prefer to watch films in the language they were originally made (whether I can understand the language or not)

I was tempted to buy the Thai language dvd, but I like to have english subtitles in case there are some nuances of language I miss.

Archived