BangCough Thailand

After spending 10 days in Bangkok, I got a really bad Cough and moved the rest of my trip to Pattaya for that reason. I found that the polution in Bangkok really made me sick. I was wondering, am I just over sensitive to the smog and polution or do others also find themselves having serious health problems when living or visiting BangCough? I heard it is good to drink a lot of water? Any comments?

Rug

After spending 10 days in Bangkok, I got a really bad hangover and moved the rest of my trip to Pattaya for that reason. I found that the booze in Bangkok really made me sick. I was wondering, am I just over sensitive to the 18 Heinekens and 24 brandy chasers a day, or do others also find themselves having serious health problems when boozing in "Bar-Cock"? I heard it is good to drink a lot of tequila to put a lining on the stomach before drinking beer? Any comments?

jack :drunk:

p. s. Re. the Bangkok cough, Rug, yes, I get it. Thought everyone did? Not surprised, though, with all the crap that's in the air :(. Walk up and down Sukhumvit for an hour or so and then wipe your face with a white tissue. Yup, hey presto! it turns pitch black :o. And we're breathing that shit... :doah:

Says RugDoctor36:

After spending 10 days in Bangkok, I got a really bad Cough and moved the rest of my trip to Pattaya for that reason. I found that the polution in Bangkok really made me sick. I was wondering, am I just over sensitive to the smog and polution or do others also find themselves having serious health problems when living or visiting BangCough? I heard it is good to drink a lot of water? Any comments?

Rug

The air of BKK is severely polluted and I presume that this problem will become more worse over the next years.:down:

Even I haven't caught real bad cough in BKK, I had problems with my bronchi there. Worst moment was when I had to wait at Sukhumvit road for a bus for almost one hour. After that my lung hurt and I had to cough.

As far as I know, if you your lung responds so strong on polluted air there is only one cure available: change the environment - as you did.

I grew up in an industrial center with heavy industry at that time. This caused a weak lung and cough frequently. The only method to heal this during my childhood was to go to the sea or into the mountains every year .

The good thing was: this kept me from becoming an addicted smoker later :p

>>>The air of BKK is severely polluted and I presume that this problem will become more worse over the next years.<<<

sorry, but i have to disagree there.

bangkok's fame of being one of the most polluted cities in the world comes from ten years ago.

the air in bangkok is still polluted but much less than ten years ago, and has improved constantly over the last years. the extension of the skytrain and the opening of the underground will improve the air even more as more people won't need to use cars anymore.

Says flyonzewall:

>>>The air of BKK is severely polluted and I presume that this problem will become more worse over the next years.<<<

bangkok's fame of being one of the most polluted cities in the world comes from ten years ago.

the air in bangkok is still polluted but much less than ten years ago, and has improved constantly over the last years. the extension of the skytrain and the opening of the underground will improve the air even more as more people won't need to use cars anymore.

More pollution ten years ago? This sounds terrible. Maybe I couldn't stay longer than a weekend at that time in BKK.

Hopefully the upgrading of public transport will lower the amount of cars in the streets, but I am not sure about this. If the Thai economy keeps on growing so will the amount of cars.

I think one problem is that many of the buses are very old with old outdated engines. IMHO the best solution would be a combined effort: new Skytrain and Subway lines plus changing the engines of the buses, taxis and the Tuk Tuks to hydrogen gas - if I remember right there are places in India where they try to do the second. But I do not know enough about traffic and transportation in BKK and I fear this is only wishful thinking. :dunno:

Fly,

sorry, but here I've to disagree. Maybe that in comparison to 10 years ago the level of pollution is much less but if I compare BKK to Tokyo (or any city in Japan), Seoul, Hong Kong, Singapore or even Shanghai, then Bangkok still has a very high level of pollution. For somebody who is not used to it, it can cause a lot of problems, don't you think so? They should get rid of all the Tuk Tuks. That would significantly reduce the pollution level.

>>>More pollution ten years ago? This sounds terrible. Maybe I couldn't stay longer than a weekend at that time in BKK.<<<

it was rather bad.

sunrise at some of the busy crossings you could see often not more than 40 meters due to the fumes. go out with a white shirt and two hours later you wore a grey shirt. sometimes i was stuck in the jams for three hours.

i remember the first time i was in bangkok about 14 years ago i got off the bus after moving 50 meters in one hour on silom and walked back to banglampoo, all along the jam...

>>>I think one problem is that many of the buses are very old with old outdated engines. <<<

things are changing, a bit slower than many wish, but at least they are changing to the better in that aspect.

well, most cities you have listed are from the rich, developed countries in asia. those countries have much more recources than bangkok. shanghai is the only exception here, but that city is china's showcase...have a look at some of the other cities there...

or look at bombay - that place is worse now than bangkok ever was, and it will get much worse there.

or look at bombay - that place is worse now than bangkok ever was, and it will get much worse there

If you compare Bangkok with Indian cities (Delhi is even worse than Bombay), then Bangkok is really free of pollution. :doah::)

>>>If you compare Bangkok with Indian cities<<<

well, yeah, i think that in case of economical status india is closer to thailand than japan or korea is.

Archived