BangCough Thailand

Besides the pollutants, the dust in Bangkok is also at a very high level. Both can bring on asthma and allergies. After living at Asoke and Sukhumvit for three years I have been sick most everyday. I certainly symphatise with those that have similar problems. One tip: The pollutuion and dust levels are lowest during the rainy season and highest during the dry season.

A trip to Phuket should clear you up. I usually head down there when the symptoms get unbearable.

>>>What type of expansion do you think will take place in Bangkok over the next ten years? ... twenty years?

... and, what will the environmnet be like?<<<

depends.

lets say the political system stays with more or less the same stability it has now, i believe bangkok will grow tremendously in area. it will swallow up places like ayuttaya and nakhorn pathom the same way it did with nonthaburi, rangsit and samut prakan. the public transport system will improve a lot and better car engines will make the air better as well gradually.

if for some reason a real democracy might come (which i can't see at the moment), than logically that would mean a decentralisation of the industry which would mean that more people would be able to find work in the country side, slums would disappear gradually, bangkok will not grow that much anymore and there would be enough funds to make bangkok a truly modern city.

if thailand's political system would collapse than there would be a massive move into the city's then expanding slums, no funds for an improved public transport system and obviously a much worse pollution rate. but i guess in that case the last thing we would worry about then is the pollution...

Last year, I lived in Bangkok for six months. Shortly after I arrived, I developed a cough that didn't go away. After a couple of months of coughing up green stuff I got worried I had TB or some other horrible affliction. But, strangely enough, every time I left Bangkok, even for a couple of days, the cough disappeared. I noticed the pattern and decided it was the the air in Bangkok.

I don't think it's only the auto exhaust but all the shit dust on the streets - you know, that black stuff that collects in the gutter after a rain. When it dries, the cars blow it into the air and it just lingers. Can you imagine what's in that crap?

Anyway, it doesn't happen to everyone, but if you have sensitive lungs, I don't think there's anything you can do about it except wearing one of those stupid masks. Or, get the hell out of Bangkok like I did.

Yep, guess I suffer from the same affliction as you. After about ten days in BKK I get heavy bronchial congestion and eventually a sore throat. Only cure I?ve found is to get out of Dodge. :(

About a year ago I developed a throat infection there that was so bad it nearly put me in the hospital. I?m just an occasional visitor and usually only stay for about a month. One thing that seems to help is to include a side trip to Pattaya (R&R :)) for a few days around the midpoint of my stay to give the pipes a chance to clean out.

ST

Archived