Dell computers pissing me off!

Old Hippie

Actually, I did get it to work! And yes, the plugs on the back are a bit confusing! Odd is, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, so I'm sending it back for a new one! Still pissed as hell about all the wasted time, but mai pen rai...the extras will help appease! :)

Berkeley riots...SF State? Maybe did start there. I was a mere child back then :rolleyes: A weird time in the SF Bay area then, always a riot and a "demonstration" of some damned sort or another. I remember living on the Presido (military base in San Francisco) and having the prostesters out front yelling all the time... Also remember seeing people playing music in Golden Gate Park, no idea who...ah the good old days... :D:dunno:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I think they might be the same on mine...? None the less I'll give it a shot... "

The connector for the modem is smaller than the one for the network card.

You can easily plug in the phone cable in the network hole, but it does not really fit there as its too small. Its also marked differently as Bibblies says.

Oh, just saw your last post.. If it works on and off it can easily be a cable problem. Try replacing it?

Cheers!

Tried replacing the cables etc...also had the phone company check the line, it tested o.k. I ran "Modem Helper" under programs, and it scanned bad, "...unable to find dial tone..." severel times, today it worked. I was able to load my ISP disk, and get on line, then later, "...unable to find dial tone..." Also, when I plug the phone line to the computer, it occassionally "kills" the phone lines, no incoming or out going calls. Sometimes it does this, sometimes not...a friend (a computer tech) says it could possible be a short in the modem, or something causing the modem to short the phone line. In any event, a new "tower" should be here Wednesday, along with a few promised goodies. I honestly think had I talked to a competent tech on the support line, one I was able to understand, the problem could have been corrected over the phone maybe, then again if the modem is bad, who knows...? best to start with a system that works properly right out of the box.

"..."I think they might be the same on mine...? None the less I'll give it a shot... "

The connector for the modem is smaller than the one for the network card.

You can easily plug in the phone cable in the network hole, but it does not really fit there as its too small. Its also marked differently as Bibblies says..."

Yes, the plugs are different, especially when compared to my old computer which just had the one phone line jack. This has the network plug, next to the USB plugs, and 2 phone lines, one in and one out. I also have a slot on my surge protector to plug the phone line into, I had no idea a power surge could come through the phone line, but I guess a good idea!

Archived