Dell computers pissing me off!

Old Hippie

Use Dell at work....got a notebook 3 1/2 years ago, and it was a lemon. It was actaully working fine and then the fan motor started getting noisy. I called for service....before it froze up. They sent a tech that pulled it apart, f'ed it all up and then asked me what she should do to fix it :: They came out 2 more times to replace the mother board and display because of what the first tech screwed up. Our company was having trouble with Dell....so they had a deal if they returned 3 times for the same computer...they replaced it. Had no problems with the replacement...got a new one about a year ago and also no problems......

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to buy Dell because they were reliable and cheaper than the rest buying direct. Now especially in Thailand I have found the dial up service poor and slow. It took them a week to give me a price on a new notebook I wanted from their web site, by which time I had already walked in a shop in Pantip and brought another big brand name for a much cheaper price.

"...At least they will have to fix it on the spot, right? Can they actually demand that you do it outside the shop where you got it? Can they force you into the phone ordeal?..."

Well, supposedly they are building me a new one which should arrive on Wednesday or so...of what year I don't know. I am also getting $25 credited off the price, and a "free" Kodak Digital camera (retails for $169). Hope this one works. Apparently, the modem is just bad. The problem is this, I plug the phone line into the modem, and the phone line dies, no incoming or outgoing calls, no dial tone. The computer tells me "no dial tone" thus no internet etc...Odd? The tech had me run a diagnostic on it, and immediately blamed the phone company! Which didn't hold water when I told her I was using the phone! She finally concluded it was the modem, and told me to pull it out, and send it in for testing...New out of the box mind you!

In any event, I got jerked around, and now should get it straightened out. I like others went with Dell because they basically have a good reputation, all in all still a bit pissed...

I have a friend who got a Dell computer 2-3 months ago and ran into a similar problem with the modem. He also complained about some tech support guy from India that he could barely understand. After numerous phone callls + long wait times, Dell finally sent him a new modem. Unlike OH, he didn't receive any compensation fro his troubles.

"...Same thing happened to me with my new PC. I finally worked out that I was plugging the phone line into the network socket. And I'm supposed to now about these things ... "

I think they might be the same on mine...? None the less I'll give it a shot...

I've never used the modem on mine because I'm on broadband, which uses the network connection. Interestingly, the modem connection and network connection ARE right next to each other. The network port has a design of three squares over it while the phone one is a (barely recognisable) drawing of an old-style phone with a bit of cord coming out. It looks like a V falling forward, if that's any help. :dunno:

Archived