Very helpful staff at Toyota Dealership

Some of you may remember my post a while back about a rather negative experience I had at a Toyota dealership on New Petchburi Rd ... they totally ignored us. Well, today, we went back with the baby; and, man what a reception!

I don't mean to brag; but, everywhere we go, ladies have to play with the baby... he always steals the show! Anyway, I'm happy to report very good service and attention by the staff at the Toyota dealership today. :)

We're still just looking around; but the "taxi-like" Corollas

seem to be decent cars, although a bit steep for a Corolla, going by the price list the lady gave to me. No wonder many go for the trucks.

Are these prices negotiable, like at American dealerships?

Back in the States, I could be driving a Hog for what they want for a nice Corolla. :onfire:

Still, for the time being, it will be totally foot power, motorcycle & auto taxis as well as BTS.

Of course, they had a special today (ends at month) ... free insurance for a year! ... but, what type of insurance? The gal took our number anyway, so they are definitely interested in a sale ... but, why so much for a spruced up taxi?? :dunno:

I think you'll find the tax on local built cars much lower than on the imports, and most of the lower model BMW's are built in Thailand. Would be interesting to see what the actual local built tax rates are, as import parts sit around 40% on average if you look in the customs ledgers at Hualompong.

I always thought it was taxes until I found out there wasnt much tax being paid on electronics that comes in due to invoice 'fixing' etc. It turned out alot of profit margins were much higher than back home....

I ordered my car at the end of April, still not here. keep on telling me ., 2 more weeks. Toyota Thailand sucks.!!!

yes Prices are expensive here compared to home. But compared to Malaysia it is very cheap 25% cheaper to be exact..

Taxes are hi in Thailand but resale rates are much better than home.

Corollas are 620K in Canada here they are 800K.. but the options are slightly different. but not 180,000B different.

Not much negotiating in Thailand, they will throw in options. We have a friend who sells cars and she ate 10K commission for us. So somewhat cheaper.

Although I have always had a corrola my wife would not want a taxi,, very common. Civics will not allow the cars to be taxis so they get that niche market

I looked at a Toyota Corolla two years ago when they first came out but could not stand the interior colour in dodgy brown colour. It was the only choice with being a new model so may be different know but really put me off.

Toyota Corolla's are quite OK cars, but have a look at the Ford Laser as well. Its got pretty much everything of the Corolla but I think its a better interior. Mazda 323 is identical except for the interior which again I thought too Japanese for my liking. Staff in Ford showroom on Sukhumvit opposite soi 23 are very good in my experience and service centre has been no problems. I got the Ford which was about 700,000 Baht which is roughly same price as the UK.

I Looked at others but could not bring myself then to buy a European car that was at least double the price I would have paid in the UK. BMW are ripping off consumers in Thailand IMHO as the taxes on assembled cars for the common models do not equate to the difference in price with Europe. Volvo are the same as are Merc. They are charging premiums because they perceive they can get away with it. For the money Bigger Honda and Toyotas such as Accord and Camry represent far better value.

If anyone is interested I will be selling my Ford Laser in next couple of weeks. perfect condition, Silver colour, 51,000KM, 22 months old and 2 year warranty left from Ford. Auto gearbox and leather interior in grey with grey dashboard. Mostly KM's on motorway between Bangkok and Pattaya. Price will be 500,000baht. No problems with the car at all and I am only selling it to generate some cash for some land I am buying. I will buy another one and use 20% of sale price as deposit :D PM me if your interested. You can see it either in BKK or Pattaya.

Cheers

Good news, so the trick is to get your missus pregnant before going shopping ;)

>Are these prices negotiable, like at American dealerships?

Prices are negotiable to a small extent but you'll find most dealers quote same. You can review all latest prices on web. I nearly bought a Toyota for the missus a while back but we agreed on Mitzubishu which was a 100kB or more cheaper. Taxi drivers all like Toyota though as parts easy and cheaper.

>free insurance for a year! ... but, what type of insurance?

Many new cars come with this. It's usually full insurance that would cost you in range of 20kB on a Corola type model.

Cheers.

The last two cars I had in the States were Nissan Altimas ... the '99 was very nice. The 2003 Corollas over here seem to be about the same size as my last Nissan, perhaps even a bit larger.

The saleslady gave us the Toyota book on Corollas, along with a pricelist for all of the models. The prices range from 997,000 Bhat for the 1.8 'G' Auto, down to 770,000 Bhat for the 1.6 'J' Auto.

What kind of tires come on the Corollas? ... forgot to look.

I don't want that fake wood veneer crap; and, I don't want a cloth interior due to the dirt in the air in Bangkok ... so, I'll have to go for leather seats. I also like that CD player (plays 6 CDs). In the book, there are only four exterior colors! ... as far as the interior, I've only seen the brown (identical to my last Nissan) ... I hope they have something that matches the silver exterior. The 'champagne' exterior is almost the same as my last Nissan too ... I'd like a change.

As to price, I think they are expensive. I also believe the Camry is a much better value for one's money, but, too many extra Bhat for me to lay out on a car. If I could spend that much, I'd probably go for a Nissan Cefiro.

Plus, I think size is a factor ... the street my condo is on (at the end of the Soi) ... sometimes I wonder if even a bicycle can make it through! I'm not that large for a farang; but, I just don't feel comfortable in anything smaller than the new style Corollas.

Many Thais recommend Toyota because of the availability of parts when needed down the line.

Does anyone know when the 2004's will come out in LOS? ... it's not like the States, where many new, year models come out in June!

NPP - Have you looked at the Ford Laser/Mazda 323?

Your requirements seems exactly the same as mine 2 years ago when I bought mine. Fords/Mazda's are just as cheap to service here as they are anywhere else in the world providing its a model they support. Parts have never been a problem and you get a westernised interior far better than the mainstream Japanese models and your GF will like the fact that she is not driving around in a taxi !!! It also drives far better than the Corolla and is certainly more European in its handling than a mainstream Japanese car. Mine comes with 12 CD changer, 8 speakers, Alloy Wheels, silver and grey interior, grey leather seats - Its a special edition called the Laser Flash with a 1600cc engine on an auto box. Its a perfect car for Bangkok.

Just a thought.

Just wondering, I sell toyotas here in the states, what would be my chances of scoring a job there in thailand selling toyotas. Does anybody have any idea? I think I would be able to sell the expats there very well.

It definitely sounds interesting; and, I will check one out. I had an Audi that I enjoyed.

There's a Ford/? Mazda dealership on Sukhumvit. ... ? same car as the Mazda 323 ... ? Japanese engine. :dunno:

I never had luck with Ford engines in the States (Lincoln, Mercury, etc. ... 100K miles and the engine was gone. :banghead:

What's the warranty like, and the selling price again? :dunno:

Archived