Apartments 20-25K / mo?

Lamock Chokaprret

Not the usual for this thread, but I'm looking for an apartment near the Skytrain. Want something with a view, big kitchen, and 2 / 3 bedrooms in the 20-25K price range. Any leads would be appreciated.

Doesn't have to be near Sukhumvit sanuk areas. In fact, I'd prefer something away from the craziness. As long as I can walk to the Skytrain.

To Old Hippie: Yes thanks, saw that one already but haven't been able to contact the poster. And he hasn't called me. Lotta good it does to post a classified if you don't check your email!

Think1stBKK: I've looked at a couple of 1 bedrooms because technically that's all we need. They all tend to be small and on the budget I've been able to find some highly satisfactory 2s and a couple of incredible 3s. So I'm thinking we'll stick with those. Unless your place has some serious square footage, I think I'll pass.

Right now it seems to me to be a renter's market here in BKK.

Some where along soi4, same side as NEP, there is a travel office which occassionally has a sign in the window for condo rentals. It is adjacent to a condo developement, which might be called Nana condominiums or something. Also in that area, off on a little side street, there are some apartments/condos that might prove promising. I also recall seeing signs (writen in English and German) to rent houses, but the price was very steep.

Lamock, I am also trying to decide whether to get a small place in Pattaya and one in Bangkok or get a nice 2/3 bedroom in Bangkok just as you described.

In my search in Bangkok I have come across the website www.thaiapartment.com. It has a nice search feature and might save you a little shoe leather by checking it out first before visiting the apartments. It is rather massive though, so I am still wading through it.

Best regards,

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

Sarisin,

Although I've already found the place I'm renting, I thought I'd check out the link you posted anyway. It comes up 'not authorized to view this page.'

I'd heard that the best way to get an apartment in BKK was without using an agent, which I presume this service is. Clearly using a service costs the landlord money and that means
you
generally pay. With the shoe leather approach you avoid this and it's relatively easy to canvas an area you might be interested. A lot of smaller places that are quite nice and reasonably priced are uncovered this way when they probably aren't even listed with agents.

For example, there's a place on Soi 6 called PSP Mansion that has a pretty nice, big 3 br 3 bth place for $25K right now. Only passed because I didn't like the view off the 4 balconies. It overlooks that abandoned car park (?) next to the Nana skytrain station. Still at 220 sq m was one of the better values I saw.

If you're interested in some of the others, I can probably give you some of the contacts I uncovered in a PM.

Lamock, it is very strange. I clicked on the link I gave you and came up with the same error message. Then, I tried to access it through my Favorites and by re-typing the website and it worked.

Actually, I don't think there is any service fee involved with this site. It is a listing of hundreds of apartments in Bangkok and its environs. You can search by cost, number of bedrooms, location, etc. The contact points at the apartment complexes themselves is listed. So, I think there is no service charge involved. You deal directly with apartment management.

I think you have a very good strategy. I am working 10 hours a day the last three weeks before I retire, otherwise, I would also get out there and look around. I am trying to prepare a short-list of places and then visit during the weekends.

If I could just stay out of the bars Friday and Saturday nights......

smile.gif" border="0

Sarasin:

Wouldn't worry about going to bars Friday and Saturday. Most offices aren't open past 7PM on weekdays and never past 5PM on Saturday. We did most of our hunting on Sat & Sun (a few places closed at noon on Sat and were closed on Sun). Our agent showed us a few places after I got off work. They can call ahead and make sure someone stays late with the key.

Like (I think) I said, the renter doesn't pay the agent. The owner does. And that generally translates into higher rent. I'm not sure what the commission rates are here in Thailand but they ranged 50-100% of one month's rent back in the States.

You've gotta wonder how the website earns the revenue to maintain the listings. Have to believe they charge the landlord something. And guess who pays that in the long run.

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

Have found a place on Soi 23 that is a little more expensive than I wanted but is really sweet.

Interesting description! This wouldn't happen to be Imperial Gardens would it? Next to the university at the bottom of the Soi?

LG

Archived