parents in law

BelgianBoy

Hi,

Ok, so you have a GF in LOS and wanna meet up with her parents upcountry or in BKK......

How nervous were you the first time ?

How good / bad was your Thai ?

How did you address them ?

And how - after all this time - are you getting along with them ?

Cheers !

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi BB,

I wasn't that nervous the first time, I saw my parents in law various time already without them knowing me. My dad in law is a local song thaew driver, so I could hide behind a tree just waiting for him to pass by nad look at him. Most of the time mom was sitting next to him.

My Thai was worse than my dad in laws English. Mom doesn't speak a word over the border. Funny in this respect was that he referred to his 27 year old daughter as his baby and I had to take care of his baby.

Sometimes I refer know to her as old baby. :grinyes: She thinks its funny.

I adressed them as Poh and Meh, that was OK.

I'm getting along really well now with them, mom looks after the baby every day when we work, their house is about 500 meters away.

Hi,

First time I met my inlaws was when we got engaged :)

My Thai at that time was fairly decent, and I think this helped a lot, since nobody speak any English up there. They were rather shy in the beginning but now, after roughly 3.5 years most of that shyness is gone and everybody seems fairly comfortable around me. And vice versa.

Don't recall how I addressed them the first time, but I now address them as Phoo and Mae.

Sanuk!

BelgianBoy:

Hi,

Ok, so you have a GF in LOS and wanna meet up with her parents upcountry or in BKK......

How good / bad was your Thai ?

How did you address them ?

And how - after all this time - are you getting along with them ?

Cheers !

- Not nervous, (cause they dont look at my money) :applause:

- My thai was rather good, so it was easier for me to make conversations.

- After a while Mae and Pho

- Good friendly relationship.

Hi

When i met them all went well my Thai was a bit scratcy but appreciated my learning the language and culture.

spoke many times on the phone (short time) so ice was broken by the time we met face to face.

Looking forward to seeing them again in next couple of months. :up:

I suppose I am very lucky because my in-laws are great.

The first time I went upcountry to visit them was nearly two years ago. I really wasn't nervous as having already spent a lot of time over a year in LOS already.

It was a bit of a shock though to see how they really live. Since then I have gone back and built a house for us and them in the village. Mae and Pae have the downstairs and we have the upstairs.

Khun Mae came and spent three months with us when my wife/girlfriend was expecting. She is wonderful and everyone here loves her. At one point they were talking about a sin sot for our planned wedding later this year. I kindly pointed out to them that what did they think the 300,000 Bt house I built there was. That was the end of that conversation.

I spend about a week or so every couple of months upcountry and they visit us at our home too. They always bring us about a 100 kilos of rice from the farm on the train.

They have never been greedy at all and we do send them a little bit here and there. Usually a bit more at planting and harvesting time for the rice farm. They are hard working and actually are quite well off by Issan standards with their farm ,catfish ponds ,cattle ,Kwai and chickens.

I get along really well with the older sister and her husband worked on our house essentially for free. The middle sister is a bit quirky and I think she is a bit jealous of us. They take very good care of me when I go to the village and everyone there likes me. Nearly everyone is a relative of some sort or another. They were very understanding earlier this year when I was not working and had little money.

I think the fact that we have a baby together really makes a difference in the relationship with the family. Also the fact that I speak passable Thai.

LL

Met the "Mother-in-law" a while back.

Nervous? Of course.

Her English: Zero. My Thai: Hello. How are you? Not much else.

I called her "mum". She liked that, and we had a great laugh together.

The grandmother was the best laugh though.

Hi BelgianBoy,

1) How nervous were you the first time ?

I was so nervous, I got sick to my stomach :(

2) How good / bad was your Thai ?

I couldn't speak any Thai still nervous :(

3) How did you address them ?

Well I had my hands together and bowed, and

I did say hello in Thai :)

My girlfriend and her parents were pleased

I gave it my best and I tried

But over all the visit was not good, in my opinion :(

paulc31 :angel::grinyes:

Very Nervous, I met my TG and my then future mother-in-law at the same time. :: They picked me up at the airport.

I met my father-in-law few days later after arriving in Thailand as my parents-in-law are divorced.

My Thai was zero when I met them. Couldn't say a single word. Things have changed for the better now though :) I'm able to speak Thai to them, but when the conversation gets a bit deeper I'll speak English and they speak Thai, works fine.

Mother-in-law is 'mum'. I don't see my father-in-law often, so I don't address is other than sawaddee krab :)

They're both great people. Both smart and very kind. I have never had any problems with them and 'mum' has helped my a lot with my VISA. Driving me there, talking to those immigration folks and so on. ;) And she helps me with my Thai.

Father-in-law gives me a bottle of wine everytime we meet for dinner. :: We both love wine.

I think I'd better asks my mrs. to arrange a meeting with him again ;)

Aren't you planning to get married soon, BB? Have you met your future parents-in-law yet?

Says Zaad:

Aren't you planning to get married soon, BB? Have you met your future parents-in-law yet?

All,

Very similar situations I see........

I too met my (future) parents in law and I guess they were way more nervous than me :)

As for marriage, that is the plan, but still far away, will send invitations in due course :)

Next question.......... my GF is 25 years old and youngest of nine, her eldest brother is 42 years and his wife is 35 years old.

She calls them Pii'John and Pii'Mary ( fictive names ), but both are younger than me.....

They call her NongGF.....

Am I suppose to Pii-them as well or what ?, and how would they address me ? Pii or Nong ?

Cheers !

Archived