parents in law

BelgianBoy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi BB,

This was some 11 years back.

At that time I had only spent like 6 months in thailand and the only thai I spoke was what I had picked up by myself and what my future wife had taught me.

My thai was pretty lousy, but then again everybody in the village spoke Lao to me.

I wasnt really nervous because I had already experienced how informal thais are when meeting each other. And the fact that I didnt understand the lingo at all also contributed to reducing my nervousity. You cannot blame a guy who knows jack shit, right? ::

I did know enough to address them as Khun Mae and Khun Por though.

Still cant forget how my wife wanted me to dress up in a suit for our first visit. And we are talking about a remote dusty rural village in nakhon nowhere, with dogs, chickens, waterbuffalos all over the place along with myriads of kid wearing next to nothing. And she wanted my to dress up in a suit with the temperature close 39 degrees centigrade! :o

I never really had much of a relationship with my in-laws although I spent quite a long time in the village over the years. My father-in-law refused to speak anything but his Puutai dialect and he never was much of a speaker anyway. I liked him though and respected him too. My mother-in-law was different and would every so often try to involve me in their conversation. And she went to great effort to speak central thai to me although I as the years went by would understand more and more of the local lingo.

I had much more in common with my wife`s brothers and sisters. And we got along very well indeed. Went fishing, hunting etc.

Cheers

hua Nguu

All,

Really good replies here :) I do like this from time to time :)

The difference in my situation is that my GF and the whole family all live in BKK, indeed Bangkok born and raised !

So, first time I met then, socks and tie to make me more acceptable according to her !

Also I had no time to get nervous, we were invited at her sister for the birthday of their kid, parents just showed up.

Parents only speak Thai, all the children passable english, anyway better than my Thai :)

Not only that, but family is strict catholic as well, so if there is a wedding, its in the Bangkok cathedral :(

Cheers !

How nervous were you the first time ?

--------------------------------------------

Not at all. And rather excited to discover my GF's village and (extended) family

How good / bad was your Thai ?

----------------------------------------------

Bad, but my natural easy-going-ness made up for it. And MY GF told everyone I love Issan.

How did you address them ?

----------------------------------------

the first time, just smiling, now I may call her Mum Mom or Mae, but usually nothing, just say or asks something, always with a smile. (Dad died in 2000)

And how - after all this time - are you getting along with them ?

----------------------------

So well, i can visit without my GF. Each time they welcomed me with opened arms.

My GF jokes that her family likes me better than her, and that if she loses me, her Mom will kill her!

Hi,

"My GF jokes that her family likes me better than her, and that if she loses me, her Mom will kill her!"

Hahahaha, I get the same thing. If I have an argument with my wife, her mother almost alwasy sides with me. Much to the chagrin of my wife :)

Her mother also told her (only half joking I think) that if she fucks this (i.e. our relationship) up, don't bother coming home anymore.

I think I am pretty much accepted as part of the family, although I do still get special treatment (e.g. they cannot understand that it is perfectly okay for me to drink water rather than Pepsi :) ).

Sanuk!

KS,

"My GF jokes that her family likes me better than her, and that if she loses me, her Mom will kill her!"

Hahahaha, I get the same thing. If I have an argument with my wife, her mother almost alwasy sides with me. Much to the chagrin of my wife :)

Her mother also told her (only half joking I think) that if she fucks this (i.e. our relationship) up, don't bother coming home anymore.

-> apparantly something Thai as they all all thought to respect the husbands' decision in all matters, right or wrong :(

I think I am pretty much accepted as part of the family, although I do still get special treatment (e.g. they cannot understand that it is perfectly okay for me to drink water rather than Pepsi :) ).

-> honestly, when no Coke available, I'll dribk water anytime before drinking pepsi :)

Cheers !

I met my "motehr in law to be" about 3 months before engagement. I was told by my then girlfriend that mother was coming down to visit her, but little did I know that my gilfriend had actually arranged for mother to come and check me out because daughter was thinking about the future, and marriage.

Mother in law does not speak a word of Englush, but my Thai is strong and there were no communication problems at all. We went out to The Grand Palace together, where she had never been before, went for lunch at Lumpini Park and then later went out to a nice restaurant that evening.

I wasn't nervous, perhaps becaue I am totally comfortable in Thai- in fact I generally prefer talking to Thais in Thai than in English, but also because she turned out to be so nice and so easy to get along with.

I must have made a good impression because she seemed happy that we got married and frankly, it is harder to imagine a nice mother in law. She is an absoute darling, and treats me like royalty. In this respect, I am very lucky.

With the rest of the family, I tend to speak Thai, notwithstanding that one sister is an English teacher and another is doing a PHd in Scotland. I find them all very easy to get on with.

Stick

Archived