Underwater World Pattaya

racha

I agree absolutely with KS' assertion.

In the US in Florida offering a discount to Florida residents for attractions such as Bush Gardens and Disney is a marketing gimmick to bolster revenue during tourist downtime. In Thailand the POV is that Thais are economically disadvantaged to foreign visitors and therefore should receive a discount when entering their own sites.

This is the only reasoning I have received from any Thais I have spoken with, including my wife's family, in the last ten years.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I did include BKK as being local as it is day trip distance with only 1.5 - 2 hours drive. In any case it would be impossible to check if a Thai is "local" as most "local" Thais are actually registred to be living upcountry but spend 90% of their time in Pattaya or BKK.

Most of the venues in Pattaya could not be considered being "their own sites" as they would never had been built without the foreign tourists being there. The Thai's spending power could not have supported most of these venues.

The reason I posted was that I have a few friends who blankly refuse to visit any dual pricing places and subsequently miss out on a good time.

There will always be two camps on this issue. One will say f__k this I'm not going to be cheated and don't go. The other will say wow this is less than half what I would have to pay back home for this kind of venue and enjoy themselfs.

Each to his own, sanuk is the key word, have fun whatever you do.

Hi,

"The other will say wow this is less than half what I would have to pay back home for this kind of venue and enjoy themselfs."

Yes, but for me this is 'back home' and I am allowed to pay double because I am white.

You are right though, there is nothing you can say to convince me that this is acceptable.

I guess we might as well drop the subject :)

Sanuk!

Most locals can get a thai ID, drivers licence etc and can get into the places for thai prices. if it boths you take a day and get your foreign DL transfered into a local thai one. Takes about 6 hours and a letter from your embassy..

I have a Thai ID and have never paid the tourist price in 3 years.

Hi WYD,

how can you get a Thai ID? I've got a DL, tax card and workpermit already.

I totally agree with KS, it pisses me off to no end the double pricing that's going on.

Hope things change for the better than next time I'm out.

This is the only reasoning I have received from any Thais I have spoken with, including my wife's family, in the last ten years.

----------------------

Exact. That's what my GF said when we visited Ayutthaya: if farang cannot afford 30 bahts, why come to Thailand? Which basically means that in their heads, thais are thailand, and farangs are outsiders. Most of them do not grasp the principle we are talking about. Uh, let me rephrase that: they don't give a rat's ass what we think about it.

I saw on the news last night that the Underwater World was closed down and would be fined 500 baht a day till they get a special permit, they are required to have some special permits for some construction that they never obtained, sure the 500 baht a day will not bother them much but everyday closed will be costing them in lost revenue.

Fantastic Fidel,

Finally someone (your friend) using their loaf and realising that the falang will add to the room price through additional purchases if they are carefully nurtured.

Really pisses me off that some people see it as discounts for Thais when the reality is that all non Thais are being asked to cough up as much as the owners / operaters think the market will bear.

As ever, vote with your feet and avoid these places.

Archived