Government blocking web sites

racha

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most Thais are quite embarrassed by their country's P4P status but like the income it generates

------------------------------

Guess I'd call it "hating your cake and eat it too"! ;)

brink said it's to look sanitized in the global world. yes, that too, but not so much in the eyes of the western countries, as towards the chinese, who have had very stern comment upon seeing what their tourists nationals have been exposed to. Chinese tourism is a big market, fresh and waiting, whereas the western tourist market has pretty much bottomed out (1). they will gladly exchange a million sex tourists for a few millions cordonned chinese on package tours. Now they have about 10 million tourists a year, and expect 20 million by decade's end, most from the Asian continent. uh... My guess only!

(1) Of note: back in France, i used to see all these "go to Thailand"prices affixed to windows of travel agencies . this year, very few advertise for Thailand.

Hi,

"Given your supposition, what percentile of the illicit sex trade would you say is targeted at locals vs. that targeted at foreigners?"

While the vast majority of this the trade is for local consumption, I agree with Orandanodes. The big difference is that the trade for locals is (fairly) hidden, while that for us farangs is blatantly obvious to everybody walking by.

Just look at the difference between Ratchadapisek and lower Sukhumvit. Both are major sex trade areas, yet it is much less obvious on Ratchadapisek.

They do not really want to get rid of the sex trade, they just want to make tourists believe that it is gone.

Sanuk!

Guest lazyphil

<<They do not really want to get rid of the sex trade, they just want to make tourists believe that it is gone>>

I love LOS, but these silly things just make me realise the country needs to grow up and face the truth in so many areas not just prostitution but all the corrupt, face saving and all that crawling you see people doing on TV to people wearing those white military looking uniforms with medals on...wtf is that all about???...what I mean is, I've seen on TV folk literally groveling to those people in those mentioned outfits...it looks so fucking degrading to me ::...I do know I'm an outsider with no real clue about LOS mentality on that level :help: ...nothing to do with websites getting blocked I know!

Guest lazyphil

To people outside the UK it could be thought we're a bunch of thuggish football louts who eat shitty food (some jest about the later, are not included :grinyes:), but we have the confidence in our psyche to know thats not the case. When the general populace in LOS can assume this confidence in themselves and say to themselves, 'who cares what anyone say about us', like we do then thats really their problem. Its pure vanity and face saving ostrich nonsense and i find very sad to be frank. As big money men who fuck bgs in their playpen benefit from sex tourists dosh they will hold back this master plan to be up with Sing and Malaysia, so it shows the people who possibly purport the most they are shy of the LOS reputation really are shallow greedy fuck heads.

just my take.

KS,

Its indeed what I was trying to say.

Thailand is not known worldwide for Rachada area, but for PTY, PP, NP, and SC.

Prostitution will remian here, always has. But in Rachada its behind closed doors and stays there. in lower Sukhumvit this is not, and the openess in PTY is extreme.

Rachada caters as much to Thais as it does to other Asian tourists. But this area is not covered weekly on TV's abroad and therefore doesn't embarrass the Thais as much.

However, the current Government does want to do something about the clubs around Rachada etc. as well. Make these places more legit, and collect taxes on the huge income it generates.

Does really make sense IMO.

Currently apart from the food and drinks all income thse places generate is part of the underground economy. Additionally such places (in addition ot hotels and golf courses) are ideal places to launder money. So such places will also feel the brunt of this government policies but for different reasons.

Ten years from now, IMO places like PP will remain (every city needs its famous red light district), but the more open along the main road bar area's will have disappeared.

I'm all for this. Ihave 2 kids and as a parent don't like them exposed to the naughty night life on a daily basis. I've gotr nothing against prositution but keep it in certain area's and away from residential area's, schools etc.

IMO this is the current Government's intention and I fully support that.

An other advantage would be that you can then normally walk around with you Thai wife/GF without all Thais immediately thinking that she's into P4P.

Well he already responded so I'll let him speak for himself but it seems to me that anyone who believes that the scene in Ratchadapisek is hidden must not see all the neon lights and signs for Ap Op Nuat. I guess the bottom line is that if the signs are in Thai it doesn't exist no matter how garish the advertisements.

I just laugh when the justification is that the Thais are on track when eliminating a tiny fraction of the illicit trade because it makes the nightly news on the BBC. If this disappears does anyone really think that Thailand will be seen as lily white?

BTW, I really could give a shit how anyone who has not lived in Thailand views it as their media fed views mean nothing to me. I just laugh at the hypocrisy of it all.

Hi,

"but it seems to me that anyone who believes that the scene in Ratchadapisek is hidden must not see all the neon lights and signs for Ap Op Nuat."

Actually they don't. My sister was here a few years back and asked me what that beautiful building with all the lights was. She did not have a clue it was a brothel.

"I just laugh at the hypocrisy of it all."

Totally agree there.

Sanuk!

Archived