Visa fees to rise

Yehtmae

Just got this from the Immigration department:

1. Visa extension from 500 Baht Change to 1,900 Baht

2. Re-entry Single from 500 Baht Change to 2,000 Baht

3. Re-entry Multiple from 1,000 Baht Change to 5,000 Baht

Above rate effective on 26th of August, 2003.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there last Friday and I can confirm the VISA fees are indeed increasing.

However, the immigration officer, a good friend of ours, told my TG the VISA extension would indeed change from 500 to 1.900 Baht.

But the single-entry from 500 to 1.000 Baht and the multiple-entry from 1.000 to 3.800 Baht.

Did she give us discount? :)

KS,

I think most tourists don't come on a visa since they typically stay fewer than the 30 days granted on entry without requiring a visa. ::

Regards, JEff

Says khunsanuk:

Hi,

Sounds like the typical Thai logic. There are less tourists coming so let's charge them 4 times as much so we get the same kind of income from visas.

:banghead:

Sanuk!

Good point. So it is just ripping off those who wish to stay longer.

Yes sir! :(

I have a NON-IMM. VISA (type O) and one of the requirements to obtain this VISA is to show an amount not less than 200.000 Baht on my bank account.

They changed it nicely to 400.000 Baht starting next July 2004 ::

BASTARDS :banghead:

:censored::cussing: :onfire: :banghead:

yipes.

so, going on the threads below its really aimed at those who want to work or retire or ottherwise stay here for a long time ie over 30 days. tourists will come and go in the free 30day period.

anyone see more border runs and less incentive to work legally here?

Immigration Bureau to introduce huge fee increases from August 26, 2003

Whether applying for a visa extension, re-entry permit, residence permit or other immigration services, from 26 August 2003 foreigners visiting or living in Thailand will be required to pay greatly increased official fees at immigration offices in accordance with a new Ministry of Interior regulation.

For example, the current fees for a resident permit are Baht 2,000 for submitting the application and Baht 50,000 (in the case of a person legally married to a Thai, Baht 25,000) when receiving the residence permit book.

Under the new fee structure, the cost of a residence permit will be Baht 7,600 for the application and Baht 191,400 (spouses of Thais or holders of residence permits, and children, Baht 95,700) when the residence permit book is issued by the Immigration Bureau.

The new fees for the immigration services more commonly required by foreigners are listed below.

Type Baht

Transit visa, single entry 800

Tourist visa, single entry 1,000

Non-immigrant visa, single entry 2,000

Non-immigrant visa, multiple entry for use within one year 5,000

Application for visa extension 1,900

Application for a single re-entry permit 1,000

Application for a multiple re-entry permit 3,800

Application for a residence permit 7,600

Approval of a residence permit (payable on receipt of residence book) 191,400

Approval of a residence permit (payable on receipt of residence book) for a foreigner married to a Thai, the spouse of a resident, and any of their children who have not reached the status of a Thai juristic person (i.e., unmarried children aged below 20 years) 95,700

According to the law, a ministerial regulation must be enforced 60 days after the day of announcement in the Royal Gazette..

Therefore, as the new regulation was announced in the Royal Gazette on 27 June 2003, it is our opinion that the date of implementing the new fee structure should have been set as 27 August 2003.

In a related action, the Immigration Bureau has approved a new regulation governing the requirements for qualifying for extensions of visas. However, at present it is planned to implement this regulation in July 2004. :dunno:

Source: Skonchai, Oliver & Nitirat Law Consultants Co., Ltd.

Archived