Why do people pay big money

Alfmaz

I don?t know how people pay more than 1,000Bhat for a motel in BKK, you only need to sleep and your out all day, OK I stay at the Honey Hotel in Soi 19, I email them weeks before I leave and I have a reservation confirmation the next Day buy email, I know about the ghost stories about the Honey, but for 750Bhat including breakfast. I always ask for the rooms in the car park nice size, if you pay a bit more 950Bhat you get a room on the second or third floor with an on suite with 3 beds and it?s close to Asoke, Nana, and all the other Soi?s. In Thailand I get up at 7.00am I?m out all day then sunuk and a swim and sleep in the afternoon then back out at 9.00pm.Till late.

In Pattaya I only pay 500Bhat at the Intown Holiday close to everything, room are really good and clean and all you do is the same as above sleep sunuk and sleep, so why do people pay big money for rooms when they are only there for maybe 7 hours of the day.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many reasons IMO.

They have big money and like to spend big.

Like all the creature comforts of upmarket accommodation.

Not all are in LOs for the night life.

I take your point that you can find good and cheap rooms in Thailand.

As they say ""up to you"" ::

Hi Alfmaz,

As Torneyboy so rightly puts it......"Its Up to You".

If I was not in the relationship I was in now, I would be Less than 1000 THB / Night....close to the action type guy, I have been there and lived it (13 Months on Soi 13 no work after divorce from Ex Thai Wife), but we all find our own level.

This is not an "I am better than you" posting....I used to despise people who live life like I do now, but eventualy each finds ones own comfort level.

For you, it is a 750 THB / Night Hotel in Lower Suk, and ST/LT all the time...I cannot knock it mate....fucking excellent....for others it is 20,000 THB in a Beach resort for 5 days, good Food, Wine and Music with a soulmate.....my choice.

The beauty about LOS is that all types of people get along, no one person is right or wrong in their actions, we all do what we perceive as SANUK, and as long as that is accepted why should it worry you how another spends his money.

Live and Let Live Bro'

[Edited to remove drug reference - Stumpdog]

I've spent most of my life on the road in the very best hotels the planet has to offer and that has unsurprisingly carried over into the hotel choices I have made for holidays etc.

However, I can be equally at home in a BT 300 hut on an island with only cold water and limited electricity and where the menu is whatever the local fishermen caught that day.

For me, I love 5* luxury but don't often want to pay for it, particularly when not bringing a partner. But, if you step down from 5*, the value for money gets worse. You pay nearly premium prices for certainly not premium facilities and service.

My conundrum is that I just don't know of good cheap places where I feel safe, where your belongings are not going to go walkabout and where you have a clean shower and bog. I know you could move after one day but you could also spend 2 weeks moving every day from one flea pit to another.

As another poster said, everyone's tastes differ dependent upon circumstances, finances and requirements. What may be good for one may prove inadequate for another. For that reason, I find it difficult to accept recommendations and have yet to find the perfect balance of cheap, clean and safe hotel that I think we are all searching for.

Regards

Sometimes you are lucky enough to have your workplace pick up the tab :)

Another reason is it is very cheap to experience a 5 star hotel because of the exchange rate. I tend to splurge a little bit in LOS. I tend to lower my standards when the market price for hotels is on the high side (Kowloon, NY, LA).

Being a frequent flyer member that rewards stays at certain hotels is still another reason. I havent heard about any bonus promotions for staying at the Flipper Lodge recently :p

I am sure there will come a day when the extra $20 bucks a night will mean something but I dont miss it now.

I was just interested why people pay over 1000Bhat when they are out all day and most of the night, I though it would make an interesting subject, some of the 2-3 stars are great like the one I mention in my post. I use to stay in 5 stars and found I had less money to stay longer and to do a return trip that same year. I never book on the internet, I find the prices to expensive as long as I got my 1st place to stay in BKK, I just arrive at the motels else where and get a good rate.

I stay at the less expensive so I can stay longer, like 30 days and still have money to come back again in that year. I look at it, if the bed is nice the room is big and clean and the service is great then I?m happy I?m only going to be sleeping in it for maybe 2 hour in the afternoon and maybe 5-6 hours at night. Our AUD is not that great, but if I had the US dollar or the English pound I might be staying in 5 star Motels.

What is big money? USD 50/ night? USD 100 / night? USD 200 / night?

For me, staying in a better room is also part of the holiday/ experience (I have to gain power for work again) and I usually spend much time in my room. And los has one of the best rates worldwide when it comes to better accomodation. So, everybody for his own.

Peter makes a good point and goes to show that we each take a different approach whilst on holiday. Some spend little time in their rooms, some prefer to spend more time in the room.

It really is a case of 'each to their own' I believe.

Hi,

If spending less on accomodations means you can stay longer, then it means you are on a budget. Not everybody is. And what are you doing up at 7:00 am every morning ??? ::

I'm usually on a budget also, but still spend big in Thailand ($US3.5 thousand/20 days last time :o ), but like you, elect to not spend it on the room. I'd rather spend the money on an extra girl to join in (make it a triple header instead of just a double :grinyes: ). Sounds like we are both still heavy-duty sanukers. Some guys like to just stick to 1-2 girls during their stay, and spend more time hanging at hotel. Maybe 20-30 years from now, I'll probably be at that place, too. ::

I love the 'sleeze' hotels. You could give me a free luxury room 5 miles from lower suk, and I'd still pay to stay at Nana/Dynasty, etc. It's just part of the experience for me.

My ex, and I, worked for Hyatt/Sheraton for many years, so staying in expensive hotels is not a big deal for me. Had I not spent hundreds of nights in luxury places, I can see where some might want to take advantage of the prices for luxury accomodations, that you can get in LOS. I can very much see it as being part of the 'vacation package' for them, and being something they could not otherwise afford (like here in Hawaii...$US200-400/ocean view :: ).

But...for me, there is another aspect to it, also. Because I big butterfly, it's important for me to see the 'big picture'. Very hard to negotiate a 1K baht price with a girl, after she learns I am staying at the 'Landmark', Marriot, or God forbid, the 'Oriental'. I rarely BS the girls, and since it's one of the first questions asked by them, saying I stay at 'Nana', tells them 'I not rich', and probably a butterfly, as well.

Another aspect is that, as an 'industrial grade' sanuker, I need to account for short-time accomodations, as well as my home base hotel. Not cool to bring back a day-time beerbar S/T to your home base hotel, which is still housing your barfine(s) from the night before. This extra cost alone, coupled with 'home base' cost, can easily equal the 'rack rate' at the 'Oriental'. :: I'm not spending any less than the guys in the 'Peninsula'. I'm just spending it in different ways. My priorities are different from their's. It all comes down to a matter of 'class'. I have none, and they do. :beer:

In the end, exstremely varied, where we all stay. Exspense accounts that only list certain hotels, 'old favorites' for long-time visiters, meeting GTG met on the internet (my circumstance last visit), doing business in BKK with Thai people (image is important), etc.

See you at NANA HOTEL...... :grinyes:

HT

Archived