Would you buy a house in your GF/wife's name?

pattaya127

"The TGs you're talking about have to do the best they can to secure some kind of a financial success in a window of ten years maybe stretching it to fifteen years, by the time they're 30-35"

This is the case in many developing countries.

The difference is that in Thailand it is an industry. That is, separating farangs from their money (with apparently the whole of Thai society in collusion). Women in So. American countries and Eastern Europe or China also need to secure something financially for themselves. The difference, IME, is that women from these other countries (not all but more so then the Thais) are more commited and relatively honest compared to Thais.

Specifically, a Guatamalan woman is not going to screw with you so much as a Thai woman.

As for me I would NEVER buy a house, have a business, or anything else in a Thai woman or Thai male partners name.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's a lot of crap. You are telling us that a gringo has no risk to be fleeced in central or latin America. Come on!

Get out of the nighlife in Thailand, and maybe you will see another facet , many facets, of the country. Nobody forces you to be "extorted". the gun in your temple for your money, sorry, but more likely to happen between Tijuana and Valparaiso than Bali and Mae Sai.

Sorry, but it's a bunch of sorry losers who would keep going back to get laid in LOS, knowing it's all about getting their money. Is that all you guys, you or other nay-sayers want from your trips, your life? ::

Last from me on the subject, i realize as usual that the posters are saying more about themselves than about the girls.

[color:"red"] To my knowledge, this information is wrong, the law has changed and thai ladies married to farangs no longer need to change their family name to the farang man's and can own land and house.

Some lawyer around who can confirm this?

[/color]

This law has become effective only about 5 weeks ago. However, before this law many Thai women who married non-Thais do not have to change names and none that I know have ever been forced to. A woman who has not given up the Thai citizenship can acquire and inherit properties.

A Thai is a THAI unless he/she formally gives up the Thai citizenship. :bow:

I have never formally given up Thai citizenship even though I have been a US citizen but I am not a Thai citizen until I claime it, does that make sense?

Cheers!

Kawtort:

"The difference, IME, is that women from these other countries (not all but more so then the Thais) are more commited and relatively honest compared to Thais."

Pattaya127:

"that's a lot of crap. You are telling us that a gringo has no risk to be fleeced in central or latin America. Come on!

Get out of the nighlife in Thailand, and maybe you will see another facet , many facets, of the country. Nobody forces you to be "extorted"."

=========================================================================

P127 (oh great knower of all things) sounds like you want to start a pissing contest with me. I've got better things to do then explain myself to you and defend my words which you take out of context.

1.) I did not say a gringo has "no risk" I said "relatively" and "In My Experience". There is good and bad everywhere.

But from what I see of Thailand and from what many guys post on this board and this thread, they don't have much trust in even their wives or their wives familes (or thier lawyers!).

It seems that in Thailand being "fleeced" from a Thai girl, GTG or BG or whatever, is almost a institution that is passed from generation to generation. This is my observation, of course you know better.

2.) "Get out of the nighlife in Thailand" what makes you think I spend all my time in the Thai nightlife. Do you know what ASSUME spells?

BTW, I didn't know that "Pattaya" as in "Pattaya127" is the real Thailand.

My experience is through a network of Thais I met through the states and via ICQ.

And like an earlier poster(s) (or from another thread) I find there is often much more to some of these stories then originally appears. And ultimately it gets down to money. It seems that no matter what you want to do in Thailand that involves a commitment of money, it must be done in the name of a Thai person. This is not as much the case in other

countries. I have European friends in Central and South America who have businesses in THEIR name and even own REAL ESTATE in THEIR name not a local.

Anyway, I've got better things to do then respond to your drivel. My sense from many expats is that their status in LOS is always precarious and they have a nagging anxiety that if their gf or wife has a change of heart then they can do very little to protect themselves legally or otherwise.

Of course no place is ever 100% secure, even in the west, BUT as a percentage (not an absolute, as I know you may twist my words, and I'm sure you will) in Thailand the deck seems stacked against you in a way that it is not in other countries.

Believe me, I wish this wasn't true, because I really love the place. But as many have said it is NOT an expat friendly country. And it seems to me that it is not improving.

Anyway P127 go piss on someone else for a while. My comments aren't the worst (most negative) that have been posted on here. And they reflect my experience...

BTW, I will not reply to this again I got better things to do ... like laundry.

This is the case in many developing countries.

The difference is that in Thailand it is an industry. That is, separating farangs from their money (with apparently the whole of Thai society in collusion). Women in So. American countries and Eastern Europe or China also need to secure something financially for themselves. The difference, IME, is that women from these other countries (not all but more so then the Thais) are more commited and relatively honest compared to Thais.

Specifically, a Guatamalan woman is not going to screw with you so much as a Thai woman.

Yes, opportunism is alive and well in Thailand. If roles were reversed, if I had little or no money and plane loads of clueless tourists with lots of money were arriving daily I'd likely do the same given the chance.

Is the taxi driver that doesn't want to use his meter out to cheat you? No, he's just taking his chance that he might be able to get more baht out of you. Is he in collusion with "the whole of Thai society"? No, because he'll do the same to another Thai. It's called survival.

Seems like comparing a Guatemalan woman to a Thai woman is like comparing apples to oranges but having said that would a Guatemalan woman who's made her living around a bar scene be less likely to take advantage of a guy than her Thai counterpart?

[color:"red"] I have to admit most of the money I have "saved" to this day is in the form of equity and appreciation in my house(s). Unfortunately I have never made a religious effort to save a portion of my income thinking of the future. That's at least one thing I have in common with most BGs. [/color]

Perhaps you have it in common when it comes to saving. However, the Thai BGs have no such thing as security that most governments in the West provide.

:banghead:

It is very sad for me that these people have to fend for themselves as fast as they can, they must have some money before they are old. The civilized countries protect their people and can provide some income when they are old, Thailand has not taken care of the "grass roots" people yet. And from what the Thai government is doing, it will be awhile before Thailand can provide some certain securities to its people. :( That is why my brother has worked as a government lawyer becuase of the retirement and medical insurance. I realize, also, that some government such as the USA does not really provide adequate social security income but some provision is there, better than Thailand.

Many Thais are brought up to just spend what they have for many feel that they don't really have enought even to eat, leave alone savings. I find most Thais have the worst money management skills ( I am talking about real Thais here, not Thai-Chinese) even though they can work hard.

Enough for my lecture for now. :grinyes:

Jasmine :rolleyes:

[color:"red"]One of the first stories she mentioned to me was that she cooks her husband's food and then cooks food for herself to eat. I thought that to be odd, [/color]

It is NOT odd, my dear. Your Jasmine here has been in the West for over 30 years, went to Univ. here for BS and MS, however, never adjust to eating Western food all the time. :banghead: I travel for work quite a bit, and you have got to see me looking for Asian food after 2 days, I must have rice, ok? :o

Now, I cook all weekends so I don't cook on weekdays. I normally make some 2 types of meat and trimmings for Hubby and a pot of curry for myself. Hubby is not keen on eating Thai food (except few dishes) and I am not going to force him. I find the freedom of being together is accepting our differrences and get both of us as happy as we can. :bow

When we visit Thailand for more than a week, I ensure that Hubby gets his roast, not a big deal!!!

Cheers! :devil:

you say a lot more interesting things in that new post. definitely better formulated than this one line statement about thais bent on extortion. No need to "piss on you" as you say.

Still, I gather you have never been to thailand, but have thai acquaintances. may I guess that they have not tried to extort anything from you so far?

PS: great to own property in south America, but I have a few friends there as well, Africa too. Funny as over all, the stories and pitfalls about being a foreigner in 3rd world countries come to the same topics, though continents apart.

Just that i am not sure that laws on property change a lot of things when locals start scheming against you. Maybe there, they really have to kill you to fleece you.... :dunno:

PS: how was the laundry going? ;)

Archived