Would you buy a house in your GF/wife's name?

pattaya127

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says pattaya127:

All in the question. I have not answered it myself.

I hope expats particiapate in this thread in numbers.

ha-ha-ha! i am sure you know much better than that.why do you ask silly questions like that?is it just to see how many idiots there are?i mean this must bee the nr.1 mistake to do in LOS!

Well, I am not an ex-pat but I have been considering this question and am scheduled to early retire to LOS in October.

The brief answer is NO!! However, I hope someday the answer might change.

Let me explain.

Of course, we have all read about some horror stories about some Farang guy who has lost a home and more to a "wife" who apparently was scamming him all along.

But, the following actually happened and it scares me more than all the stories.

I met a Thai woman at a local Wat here in the US. She is married to a farang and she seemed like a very nice person. She asked me if I would be interested in having a Thai girlfriend (here in the US). I said yes, just to be polite but thought, what is the point, I am moving to LOS shortly? When she described the Thai lady, she mentioned 2 things that caught my attention: 1) She is about 30, slim and very attractive 2) Her ex farang husband beat her and that is why she left him.

Well, just to be polite, I talked with this potential Thai girlfriend a couple of times and we agreed, no point to pursue this since I was planning to move to LOS.

I told the lady at the Wat the result.

Well, now having this potential relationship situation at an end she felt free to talk with me more openly about the Thai lady she had "set me up with". The more open story is that the farang husband did beat her at one time. However, she decided to leave him and was waiting for him to beat her again so she could call the police and manage the circumstances around her departure. Unfortuantely, the farang didn't beat her. She got tired of waiting. So, she banged her head against the wall several times until she drew blood and then called the police. In addition to reporting the beating (which never happened) she gave the cops some marijuana and said it belonged to her husband.

Okay. Stranger things have happened. But, the shocking thing to me and the thing that makes me afraid to really think about a relationship that might include a significant financial loss is that this lady at the Wat, married to a farang, knew the history with of this horrible Thai lady and still tried to set me up.

I still have some small amount of hope left. As I mentioned in other threads, I have become friendly with a Thai lady who is a Ph'd student at a local university. She will be moving back to BKK at the end of the school year. Her family owns a business and I gather they are far more wealthy than I am. So, we have met here in the US and become friends and I can't imagine she would ever need/want to take advantage of me. So, perhaps I can eventually meet, through her, a Thai lady I can trust and eventually buy a house in her name (which I would very much like to do since one can buy a beautiful home in very nice place for a fraction of the cost where I am currently living).

I meant that since my Ph'd friends family is wealthy, hopeully I will be able to trust Thai ladies that she may introduce me to. The Ph'd student is a friend, not a romantic interest. But, again, perhaps this friend may introduce me to Thai ladies who are trustworthy romantic interests.

And then, perhaps I will develop a relationship with one of these ladies and eventually buy a house in that ladies name (scares me even to say it).

Depends on my financial situation (if I can afford the loss). And then why shouldn't she get the house after divorce? Anyway I wouldn't like to stay there.

Best regards

most of what we have here is in the missus's name - land, motorcycles, and since recently a car as well. i also have a small life insurance since a few years, and she will in case of something happening benefit from that as well.

but then, i think i was not going blindly into all that - it has been now more than 9 years being together, and trust has been build up over that time.

Yes, will buy the retirement home next year. We have talked about it and she has agreed to sign a 30 year lease. This is to protect me in case something happens to her. I also have a couple of life insurance policies for which she is the beneficiary. Lot's of trust both ways.

TH

this lady at the Wat, married to a farang, knew the history with of this horrible Thai lady and still tried to set me up.

-----------------------------

Did you ask her why she tried? bet she would answer, "maybe different with another man"! I am appaled like you at the infos thai acquaintances often withold when telling a story, esp. if it could concern one. Seems that it just takes them repeating the story 2 or 3 times and adding up the real important stuff finally, to grasp the tenure of it. Then who seemed the victim is not anymore and vice-versa culprit . been witness to that many times. Not always out of scheming, i just assume thais don't think/tell like us. Which is why i stopped trusting them, again not out of fear of dishonesty, but it's never quite all there, no matter how you probe the story-teller. may take a few hours, or months to get the story as it really is. Then Doodoo has happened by then :(....

Archived