Current options to share music on the net?

Palatkik

Another thread recently mentioned Bearshare, Limewire or Gnutella as possible places to share music over the net. I haven't tried them myself.

I have used Kazaa since Napster closed but never really found it to have the depth of music found on Napster.

Can anyone update on the best choice available today?

Cheers,

Kazaa is now regarded as the most popular music sharing program on the net. WinMX also has a large following. Kazaa Lite and WinMX are both free from spyware.

They have not come close to Napster or later Audiogalaxy in terms of 'depth of music' but are the closest you'll get at the moment. The RIAA (the ones that shut down Napster and Audiogalaxy along with those scumbags, Metallica) have both of them in their sights but fortunately a recent U.S. court judgement went against them.

As far as I'm aware, Bearshare, Limewire and Gnutella all contain spyware and I would recommend they be avoided.

Stick to Kazaa Lite.

I've been using winMX for a year or so and can find all but the most 'obscure' stuff on there. Tried iMesh but got a bunch of spyware, haven't tried Kazaa lite yet, is it any good?

I downloaded some stuff from WinMX over the last few days. Easy enough to use, but I keep getting hit with Spyware from some damned place. I run SpyBot S+D and Ad-Aware, and I always get hit with a few new things each day. Seems everytime I download something off the internet...

Says Old Hippie:

Easy enough to use, but I keep getting hit with Spyware from some damned place. I run SpyBot S+D and Ad-Aware, and I always get hit with a few new things each day. Seems everytime I download something off the internet...

Old Hip,

Spyware can be placed onto your PC just by visiting a certain webpage, not just necessarily from something you've downloaded.

Eg. I get 2 or 3 spyware (tracking cookies) everyday from my favourite webpages. Usually from companies called 'Valueclick', Doubleclick' & 'Bluestreak'.They are placed on your PC by Ad/Marketing companies that do business with or advertise on those sites in order to track your surfing habits.

I just run Ad-Aware on start-up and it cleans them. Bloody irritating though.

Archived