Attention Pizza Fans! (Round Two)

The last time I started a thread with this title it was to tell all of you about the opening of Bella Napoli, on Sukhumvit 31.

This time, it's to report on a brand new place -- also, coincidentally or not, on Sukhumvit 31 -- named Pizzeria San Remo. It's further into the soi than Bella Napoli: coming from Sukhumvit, go down 31 until the four-way junction where the Euro Inn is. Take a left and follow the road as it curves around, and you'll see the restaurant on your right.

The place itself is a lot smarter and cheerier than Bella Napoli, with lots of glass and high ceilings. The all-important wood-burning pizza oven is there, though, as is the Italian pizza chef (the only accredited one currently in Bangkok, according to the Italian owner, since the departure of the original Bella Napoli chef).

It is a tiny bit pricier than Bella Napoli (pizzas are mostly around 300 baht, with pastas around 200 baht), but I think that San Remo currently has the edge as far as taste goes. The crust was excellent, as were the toppings.

They're open Tuesday to Fridays from 19:00 to midnight, and on Saturdays and Sundays from 12:00 noon to midnight.

I look forward to hearing the opinions of the other pizza fanatics on this board, but with Bella Napoli and San Remo now in town, I don't think anyone can complain about lack of "real pizza" in Bangkok anymore.

Begs the question, what is real pizza?

:)

I'll give it a try and I'm sure it will be good.

But I recently had the chance to taste some pizza that came damn close to what I would get in New York. So far, it's the best Pizza I've tasted in Thailand.

It's at Central Chitlom's food court or whatever that's on the 7th floor. Where you get a card and go to different stations to get your food. They'll scan your card. When you leave (after you finished your meal) you present your card and they'll ring your total.

In any event, it's a pretty nice place, they have a wide variety of food, and the pizza is pretty damn good as well :)

<<burp>>

Says gummigut:

Begs the question, what is real pizza?

... I recently had the chance to taste some pizza that came damn close to what I would Central Chitlom's food court or whatever that's on the 7th floor.

In any event, it's a pretty nice place, they have a wide variety of food, and the pizza is pretty damn good as well
:)

<<burp>>

You had the pizza at Giannis' at Central Chitlom. His actual restaurant is on Soi Tonson just opposite Ploenchit. Gianni's is considered by some people living in Bangkok (including me) as the best Italian food in Bangkok. I am happy to pay the 10% service charge there because you will experience real quality service in a nice setting.

By the way, the pizza selection at Central is not available at the restaurant only at the Food Loft. They do have some pizza at the rest. but very limited. Their set menu lunch is a great deal with about 5 different entrees to select and they also have choice of appetizers and desserts. Free water!!! I've never been disappointed in a meal there.

I agree, the pizza served by the Gianni's outlet at Central Chidlom is pretty good. But Bella Napoli and San Remo are much better in my opinion.

As for what is "real pizza", that's difficult to answer. I guess I'd have to say the standard would have to be the pizza prepared by certified Italian pizza makers in Italy, particularly in and around Naples. Very good American versions are made in certain parts of New York, Boston, and New Haven -- but few other places that I've found.

The entry of Bella Napoli and San Remo onto the scene has upped Bangkok's pizza rating immensely, in my opinion. The local pizzas previously recommended by long-term expats (New Madrid, California Pizza, Bella Pizza, et al) have been just barely edible -- again, in my opinion. Not to mention the vile likes of Pizza Hut, The Pizza Company, Domino's, and the other fast-food crap.

another italian restaurant?

don't compare with Gianni's; that's just another league. and the guy is every day in his restaurant and taking care that everything is as it should. Angelini, Rossini, Biscotti and Opera are close follower; and then the dozenz and dozens of middle range italians...

So has anyone been to San Remo yet? I'd be interested to hear some other opinions. As for me, I made my fourth visit tonight and had a pizza topped with mushrooms, tomato sauce, cream, garlic puree, and speck (bacon) that was just out of this world!

Been there, done that, snore...

no no no lol

Okay, went to San Remos.

Water was damn tasty.

Very nice atmosphere. Light pastel colors, very lovely and lively.

Bread and appetizer: Gave us some thinly sliced olive bread. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of olives. No oil or butter supplied with the bread (I could have used either). They were quite nice and gave us an appetizer on the house. Assorted cheese and meats on toothpicks with pickles and tomatoes stuck into a roll of bread. Unfortunately, as I said, I'm not a big fan of olives. The cheeses were really excellent. The slices of meat were very good with the exception of the prosciutto. The prosciutto was excellent, but unfortunately was out in the air to long and was a bit dehydrated. The roll of bread was good. Least I thought so. It's a course bread (read tough to rip apart) but very tasty. Seems like my Thai friends don't like course bread and only ate the soft white on the inside.

Had 1 pizza and two dishes:

Lasagna: Lasagna was better than average. You only get the wedge of lasagna. The Lasagna was better than average because the ingredients were very good. Now I thought the lasagna pasta was a bit too thin and a tad bit too chewy. I would have also appreciated a lot more sauce. Very much a dry lasagna.

Frutti Del Mar Pasta or whatever (I keep forgetting what these things are called :) Basically seafood pasta in a red sauce): This was very good. Came with two shrimp, mussels, clams, baby octopus, and I'm probably forgetting something else besides the pasta. Pasta was good. I liked the sauce a lot. Mussel was the least fresh of the seafood pieces, but still good.

Da Pizza: Had number 19 (or 15, I can't remember which. Either 19 pasta, pizza 15 or visa versa). Mushrooms, onions, sausage, cheese, etc... This pizza was excellent. Ingredients incredibly fresh. I particularly liked the mushrooms. This is a very nice pizza. I must say I still prefer the slices at the Food Loft because it's a tad bit more like what I'm used to in New York even if the ingredients may not be as choice as San Remo's.

In conclusion, I'd give the lasagna a miss, the seafood pasta and the pizza a thumbs up. The two dishes and pizza ran between 700-800 baht total (and some bottles of water). Don't know exactly what amount as yet again I was stymied in trying to pay the bill (and I did actually try this time!!! Really!!! :) )

Unfortunately, my thai friends didn't like the food and bang for the buck would go elsewhere. Considering there are more Thais than farangs, I'm not sure what this means for the restaurant. Though if I had a whole bunch of disposable cash, I would definitely go back for another pizza or two (and probably will, just not in the next week :) )

Nice place to take a farang date, or some hi-so who "likes" farang type food. Do have to say, the place look pretty nice and my party wasn't dressed particularly smart, but besides (what I thought) the very good food, we got excellent service as well.

The electric pepper shaker also has a light on the bottom so you can see how much pepper your putting on your dish.

<<burp>>

• 5 months later...

Gotta reiterate that this place is great!!! Dug up this old thread because of it.

This is my sixth or so trip here in the last couple of months. Tonight I took my two daughters there for #1's 16th birthday.

The girls had a split pizza: half seafood and half Hawaiian. Now I am not much into pineapple & ham on pizza, but this looked great and tasted OK for this combo. Nice and fresh ingredients and lot's of 'em. Seafood half was also tasty, with the mussels still in the shell. Big 'un's too. Only one baby pla muk and three puny shrimps tho' :(. B285 I cringed tho' when they smothered it in ketchup. Where do they get that??? Certainly not their mother or I! Kids these days, LOL!

I had my usual #7, with added 'shrooms. The spicy salami is great. The crust is great. Easily the best 'za in Bangers. Well, it is thin crust, so if you are someone who likes that really thick crust, you'll be a tad bit disappointed. B265 + B20. Ate the whole thing, about 16" or 4cm in the metric system.

The dessert tray was OK, but would have been better if not presented with the wrappers still on. I guess it is important to them to show that the stuff is really imported from LoP (Land of Pasta). I had the Bindi cafe gelato. The girls had the fruit cup (nicely served in a Margherita-type class), with kiwi, melon, apples & local fruits marinating in their own juices, some gin and lemon juice. Topped by a very yummy scoop of strawberry ice cream. Very nice, but pricey (IMHO) at B130 each dessert.

Service was great. I have a favorite waitress there. Well, she is the only waitress there (the rest are guys). But she is easily the best at her job that I have had the pleasure of experiencing in LoS for these many years. Funny, knowledgable, polite, efficient. For what more could you ask?

Total bill for two teenagers and me was B1350, no alcohol. Worth it? Yeah, I think so

All-in-all a fun evening.

Now the funny bit: Got the old-lady taxi driver on the way back to Soi 39. This guy was about as sharp as a bowling ball. Tried to get him to turn around on soi 31, but he kept going futher down the street. So far in fact it turned into a one way street. No matter to him. He picked a drive that he liked and drove back against traffic :D. Slowly. We finally get down to 31 where it is two-way and make it unscathed to Suk. He crawls along in the LH lane until we get to Soi 35, then he gets a burst of energy and changes lanes and tries to pass some people. Of course, he nearly misses Soi 39 and holds up traffic while he makes a two lane left turn :dunno:.

On the home stretch now, onto one of the little sub-sois of 39 near our house. Who do we run into. The granny of motocy riders. This girl was going 20KpH, in the middle of the lane and nothing was going to change her mind :o. She of course took the same route we did until nearly the end where she turned off towards Thonglor. Hope she did not try that on Thonglor or we will be reading about her tomorrow. Splat!

Cheers,

SD

Archived