Earthquakes in Thailand?

jp1

The reason for putting up this question is that NE Japan (Tohoku) has been rattled by 3 powerful earthquakes since the early morning today. The area is about 400 km north of Tokyo. Around 1 am, 7:50 am and again and 10:40am. All quakes measured between 6,1 and 6,4 on the Richter scale and were powerful enough to cause widespread damage in Miyagi Prefecture. About 200 persons injured but no fatalities ? so far.

Just thinking of another earthquake in Yunnan province in China ? one week ago ? (6,2 on the Richter scale) which caused devastation in a wide area, not too far from Northern Thailand. Are there any earthquakes in Thailand? Never heard about this although my gf told me that once she remembers such a quake when she was still a kid (born in N-Thailand). Since the mountains of Northern Thailand do belong to the foothills of the Himalayas it would only be natural to have also quakes in this area. But so far ? everything has been calm.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without checking , not sure if Thailand is on any major faults. I beleive their are 7 plates around the world that shift , thus releasing pressure , which inturn cause the ground to rumble as the gases reach the surface. I happen to live about 12 miles from a major fault , the San Andreas , which I beleive runs from Los Angeles up to San Francisco.

I have felt the ground dance many times , but nothing like the 1994 Northridge earthquake , it was centered about 10 miles from me and bounced me out of my bed and onto the floor , very scary indeed.

Aside from that , any earth rumblings in Thailand from Aug 22 thru Sept 01 , will most likely be reverberations coming from my hotel room.... :neener:

BadatheearthmoverBing :hubba:

Aside from that , any earth rumblings in Thailand from Aug 22 thru Sept 01 , will most likely be reverberations coming from my hotel room.... :neener:

Just inform the authorities in advance so they can take some preventive measures in order to avoid any major damages. :neener::)

Jp,

Thailand has earthquakes mostly very minor ones, though every now and again the odd one to around 5 or so on the richter scale, so nothing compared to Japan, Thailand has no volcanoes like Japan does, also Thailand is near some fault lines but not right on top of them, Japan from memory is on the edge of those moving plates which does not help either,

"my gf told me that once she remembers such a quake when she was still a kid (born in N-Thailand)"

Do you have a young gf? There was one that did some damage to the wat on Doi Sutep maybe ten(?) years ago, could be the one she remembers.

Says bahnawk:

"my gf told me that once she remembers such a quake when she was still a kid (born in N-Thailand)"

Do you have a young gf? There was one that did some damage to the wat on Doi Sutep maybe ten(?) years ago, could be the one she remembers.

She's 24 years old. Could well be, she lived in Nan province.

This is one advantage of Thailand. No serious earthquakes (and lived on Hokkaido two years so know about them); no volcanos, no tornados, no snow, almost no typhoons or hailstorms. But it can rain a lot very fast; like a couple hours ago here in NE Bangkok.

Archived