Earthquakes in Thailand?

jp1

Could be your GF remembers the 5.something tremor near Chiang Rai late in '89, as a precious 11-year old, at the time the largest tremor to hit the region in quite a while and doing moderate damage to the chedi at Doi Suthep, which shook me as well just as 'Air America' rolled into town.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

being in California we all grew up with earthquakes,

but then most of the houses are wood frame construction so they sway when it shakes !

Its always scary to see new buildings in 3rd world countries being built with bricks or cement

and no metal rebar to hold it all togther

Thats how you end up with the high number of people dead,

crushed by brick walls or crumbling concrete

I will stay in my old wood house !

Also being in California and living only 25 miles from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta quake (7.1) in 89 I can attest to how frightening earthquakes can be. I never knew how long 20 seconds could actaully be. People here still talk about it.

So, since we are on natural disasters, does Thailand have Tornados? I know there is no worry about a Locust plague. The poor locust would be deep fried and eaten upon landing.

I am from California.I hope their is never an earthquake around Bangkok.IMO,half the condos and apartments would collapse!I think a 4.0 would do it!!

In Japan the big Kanto earthquake (Tokyo area) is said to happen every 70 years. Last one was in 1923 when large parts of Tokyo burnt down. Which means the next major earthquake could hit at every moment and is concerning the calendar overdue. Even Japan has extremely high standards in earthquake proof buildings I do not want to be there when it hits.

Small earthquakes every second or third week reminded me of this threat and sometimes after a small quake I lied awoke in my bed and tried to imagine how to react if a major earthquake would hit my apartment.

As former eathquakes showed like the the great Hanshin earthquake (Kobe area) in 1995 (ca. 5500 people died), the people the Japanese cared for last where Gaijins living in this area.

[Quotation :] According to Joseph, the people who found it easiest to get through the Kobe disaster were those who belonged to a strong community: Indians, Koreans, Chinese, Vietnamese and so on. The burakumin (outcast) Japanese were also amongst the strongest. "Really it is the Americans, the British and all the G7 nationalities who are most in danger," he adds, "because they really don't belong to any community whatsoever." Even the embassies are of little practical use, most positively refusing to open their doors to their citizens should a major earthquake hit.

--

The Japanese government was unexpectingly slow reacting to the earthquake and needed days to send troops into this area.

I would not even think about what could happen in countries like Thailand with a less organized and prepard society. ::

JP1,

Search google for: kanto earthquake 70

In case of an emergency, do you store a helmet, a flashlight, a rope ladder and some additional thousand yen in your apartment as well? ;)

I don't want to scare you, but here is an expert from the net. Anyway I do not believe in the predictions. I presume that the death toll (depending on the epicenter, day and hour) would be much higher. (See Kobe)

"Experts have estimated that Japan experiences a major earthquake every 70 years, and the last major earthquake in the Kanto area was in 1923. Known as the Great Kanto Earthquake, this earthquake of magnitude 7.0 on the Richter scale caused 140,000 deaths. Huge areas were devastated by the impact and the ensuing fires. Recent studies suggest that if such an earthquake were to occur today, it could result in 7,100 deaths and the destruction of 500,000 homes. The chance of a major earthquake occurring in the near future is quite real.

No one knows when a disaster will strike so being prepared at all times makes good sense. How well you can deal with such a catastrophe depends on how well organized you are. What can you do to prepare for the possibility? With planning and preparation you and your family can be ready for any event."

Emergency provisions

It's never too late to put together an emergency kit like the one listed here, or simply to buy a ready-made one. These are some essential things you will need in an emergency, but this list is by no means exhaustive, so do your own research and decide on additions according to your personal needs.

- Backpacks

One for each adult in the family, and a small bag for children to carry. Pack them in advance and keep them in an easily accessible place.

- Portable radio with spare batteries

You will need this to get up-to-date reports on emergency procedures.

- Candles, matches / lighter, flashlight

The electricity may well be cut off, and could be interrupted for days.

- Can opener, canned food, water, cooking utensils

Although the metropolitan government has stocked emergency supplies, you should have some of your own to reduce reliance on others. Canned or dried foodstuffs such as ramen noodles are best, as they can be made quickly with a minimum of preparation.

- Knife, gloves, rope

In an emergency situation, you may need these items to rescue a trapped person.

- First-aid kit

Bandages, tourniquet, and any prescription medicines

- Fire-resistant hood or helmet

Fires are likely to break out and you will need to protect yourself. A helmet will also protect you against falling debris.

- Clothing, including thick-soled shoes

Enough clothes for each member of the family to last for one week. Be sure to change the clothes seasonally - warm clothes for winter, short sleeves for summer.

- Towels, soap, and toothbrush/paste

Toiletries will be hard to come by.

- Blanket

Essential for winter months, but also useful as emergency bedding for summer.

- Don't forget your baby's needs; keep a kit with diapers and food ready.

Keep your passport, alien registration card, bank books, seal (inkan), cash and coins in a handy place. Keep copies of important documents as well and a supply of cash in coins and small bills. Large denomination currency will be difficult to use.

the people the Japanese cared for last where Gaijins living in this area.

[Quotation :] According to Joseph, the people who found it easiest to get through the Kobe disaster were those who belonged to a strong community: Indians, Koreans, Chinese, Vietnamese and so on. The burakumin (outcast) Japanese were also amongst the strongest. "Really it is the Americans, the British and all the G7 nationalities who are most in danger," he adds, "because they really don't belong to any community whatsoever."

Kamui, this Joseph guy's sweeping generalization in an unrealiable source like Metropolis is misleading.

I know of several people who experienced The Great Hanshin Earthquake first hand and many told stories of Japanese neighbors coming in to check on them, offering them food, shelter, etc.

Many Westerners do actually belong to a community here -- the local one!

Cheers mate.

I know of several people who experienced The Great Hanshin Earthquake first hand and many told stories of Japanese neighbors coming in to check on them, offering them food, shelter, etc.

I had a colleague (now retired) whose house was partially destroyed by the Great Hanshin Earthquake in '95. His neighbors (Japanese) offered him shelter for more than 4 weeks in their home which was only slightly damaged. He told me that he?d never forget their generosity. I agree with Roppongi that this Joseph report is a gross generalization.

Says jp1:

I had a colleague (now retired) whose house was partially destroyed by the Great Hanshin Earthquake in '95. His neighbors (Japanese) offered him shelter for more than 4 weeks in their home which was only slightly damaged. He told me that he?d never forget their generosity. I agree with Roppongi that this Joseph report is a gross generalization.

That's very good to hear. :up: But I red different reports in the media after the earthquake, that's why I posted this, but I don't remember the source. ::

Archived